May Food Challenge - Your Favourite Meat

One word for brains and other offal -=PUKE=-

1 Like

Pork

5 Likes

Best monthly food challenge :clap:

Also important to note that the vitamins and nutrients found in meat are typically in a much more bioavailable (usable) form than other sources, iron especially.

My favourite meat is a super marbley eye fillet

• dry brine for 24 hours
  • sous vide @ 53c for 50minutes
  • pat dry and coat in duck fat
  • Weber @ 350c for 20sec each side
  • rest 2min
  • eat
7 Likes

Way TOO much Heston B with that steak method. :yum:

3 Likes

This is why I have begun to have red meat a lot more than I was
 after needing blood transfusions back in January, due to severe nosebleeds 3 days in succession, my iron and haemoglobin levels began to drop below that which is compatible with life. I’ve now had some time of taking iron tablets and am enjoying the addition of roast beef and scotch fillet to my diet from time to time when I can afford it.

5 Likes

Totally, but I was asked for my favourite!

5 Likes

Thank you @southerton,
on behalf of the Team,
appreciate your kind words.

4 Likes

But it wasn’t dipped in liquid nitrogen so it doesn’t get 4 stars.

3 Likes

I love Roast Lamb, and when working as a Wool Classer in the Shearing Sheds of back and beyond, Roast Lamb was our evening meal. Every night. So it is a good thing one enjoyed eating it methinks!
The Farmer always contributed a sheep or 3 to the Shearer’s Cook and to save money on the Shearer’s Found Expenses, Roast Lamb is what we ate (with veggies of course) but I must say, I never tired of it.

5 Likes

I will happily pass on this meat.

They are fairly delicious raw but even better when cooked
I definitely eat these when I can get them.

1 Like

We al ready eat them, either whole or fragments. Most products have insects or their fragments from the food processing. This blog provides some useful(?) information, while it is US based, similar figures apply here:

It is the erky yucky factor one has to come over. If it looks like a bug/insect, the erky yucky factor increases. If it is protein mixed into something else which looks and tastes normal, the erky yucky factor decreases. If one eats usual foods unknowing that it contains insect proteins, one would be none the wiser.

I have had cooked witchetty grubs
both BBQed whole and a soup. Both were quite pleasant to eat. I have also knowingly tried crickets, they were okay but the texture is something to get used to.

2 Likes

All hinges. Our table manners are not designed to deal with exoskeletons. Perhaps they could be deep fried at very high heat like the Chinese dish of prawns (whose name escapes me) in their shells where the shell goes crispy like pork crackling.

2 Likes

When the market tells me that this is good tasting stuff, I’d consider it. But, exoskeleton animals - like prawns - are very messy eating.

Some recipes to enjoy

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/recipes/easy-crispy-fried-prawns-with-aioli

2 Likes

I recall a presenter on a TV program trying them. I think it was Les Hiddens, but whoever it was said they were revolting.

1 Like

Heheh so others wouldn’t eat them perhaps. They really are very nice. You must ensure the guts are removed though, full of wood product. Grab the head and twist it off the body and pull it out, this will bring the guts out as well. What is left behind is the creamy fatty filling and the skin. If trying them I suggest cooking as this will make for the most pleasing flavour, then try raw
it is a different taste to the cooked version but still very nice. Think of Almonds is probably the closest with a slightly sweet taste when raw, when cooked some say more a meaty like chicken flavour but I think they taste like slightly sweet egg yolk, egg pudding flavour. Often the wood they eat subtly alters flavours but they still taste very similar.

Important thing is eat them in the right season Oct/Nov to Jan is when they are prime eating, before that too small after that they are turning into moths etc (a few varieties of different insects larvae are called Witchetty Grubs)

1 Like

I spotted this new item at our local Supa IGA this afternoon.

Produced in the US.

Whatever will they come up with next?

Where’s @draughtrider.

Any meat not refrigerated I avoid as it often means it is preserved to the limit (it’s salts/sodium are about 2.5 to 3 times that of normal/fresh bacon). It’s price is also astonishing
over $100/kg. Must be feeding the pigs on truffles or they use Amabito No Moshio (Google translate needed), one of the most expensive salts in the world.

3 Likes

No Google translation needed.

Simply click on the “English Site” button in the top right corner of the webpage.

https://www.oishisojapan.com/home/2016/02/26/amabito-no-moshio-seaweed-salt

And talking of salt.

2 Likes