May Food Challenge - Your Favourite Meat

bacon. (anchovies a close second …)

5 Likes

For the Bacon eaters all over the World

https://www.wisesayings.com/bacon-quotes/

https://www.nobleworkscards.com/funny-bacon-quotes-and-jokes.html

4 Likes

Mutton - while I don’t eat it now - I have happy childhood memories of mutton. It was part of our “pay” on farm, and I am sure it was an old girl about 5 mins from death by natural causes - nothing was wasted.

We ate the lot. Brains, offal, flap, shanks … I didn’t like the big lumps of meat that Mum roasted, because it was awfully hard chewing. Today I would have slow cooked it.

Years later I still do “Poor Man’s Roast”. Bone a flap (the rib section of lamb - I can’t get mutton) leaving a thin layer of meat, connective tissue and fat. Finely dice vegetables (carrot, potato, turnip etc), spread over and roll up. Tie securely, elevate on a trivet to allow the fat to drain and roast in a slow to mod oven.

Brains - we used to soak and then remove the membranes, but that’s all done for you by the butcher now. Take a cold brain, coat with egg white and roll in fine bread crumbs, cool again (and repeat if a crunchier crust is desired). Fry in a pan rolling around (or deep fry). My grandmother used to make a honey sauce to go with these, that made them “to die for”, but she was long gone when I started cooking for myself. I have tried many times to recreate it, but have never discovered the not too sweet, not oily, salty or fatty, smooth but not thin sauce that was heaven on crumbed brains.

7 Likes

I remember as a kid helping with the butchering - extracting the brains was always fun - sheep head, axe, something city kids never quite “understood” (brains just come from the butcher, surely a sheep isn’t harmed? and who eats brains anyway?). I was technically a city kid, but thankfully spent a lot of time on a family members farm … and who can pass up a good steak and kidney pie?

5 Likes

Great food.

My grandmother and my mother used to cook them but the very mention of it freaks my wife out.

The very same person who, when we were first dating as teenagers and she was at our place when my mother had cooked some corn on the cob that I had brought back from the Atherton Tableland, when offered some said "Corn? Only chooks eat that.

However, she actually tried it, and she has loved it ever since, as do our adult children and their kids.

I think the last time I had crumbed lambs brains was at breakfast at a hotel in Brisbane in the 1990’s.

At least my wife is not as bad as her youngest sister. She will cook and eat lambs fry & bacon after I trim and slice the liver and coat it in seasoned flour whilst her sister will not even cook it.

Her husband loves it and has to depend on us to pack a container for him when we cook it.

Some people just don’t know what is good for them.

3 Likes

There are some things one should be careful of. Crumbed brains with lashings of garlic and butter for breakfast. How to win friends and influence people all day long. Well, mostly the second I suspect. They were a Sunday morning alternate to lambs fry in a rich dark gravy with bacon on the side.

Has anyone mentioned “black pudding” or any one of a million varieties of sausages and cured meats. Bacon has made the grade. Then there is Jamon Serrano (Spain), Prosciutto (Italy). Melt in the mouth flavour bombs!

2 Likes

We cook the bacon pieces, then the lambs fry, then return it all to the pan covered with gravy and allow it to simmer.

5 Likes

I don’t have any particular favourites, neither I nor my wife like Pork. Ham yes, Coppa, yes, Bacon, …

I’d put Lamb, Beef and Poultry equal.

With roast lamb I like to marinade it before-hand, with a blended liquid of oregano, garlic, olive oil and about one lemon’s juice. We get our butcher to add the marinade we hand over on the inside before he ties it up. Lamb Shoulder or Leg. Haven’t done a crwon of lamb for a LONGG time.

With Beef, all I do is sprinkle it with pepper,

With chickens I do the Women’s Weekly’s - ‘French herbed Chicken’. ? skin lifted with a table spoon turned over and right down out over the thighs. Similar marinade to the lamb but no lemon juice. Marinade spread all over the chicken under it’s skin. NO stuffing just a quartered onion inside.

IMO&E cooking any meat quickly at high heat is best. Unless it’s freezing cold and windy-wet outside, all roasting is done in a 60CM Charcoal Weber. We always use a wired-probe meat thermometer - it is battery powered and beeps when the set temperature is reached.

Beef ‘just past rare’, lamb medium-rare, Chicken, until it’s definitely done, but not past that.

Estimated time to feed our guests - should include at least 30 min’s resting time. Meat with bones in takes longer so we don’t bother anymore. So boned lamb shoulders or legs, and stick to fillet or rump with beef.

Chops and steaks? Yes please, pink to pale red.

4 Likes

Salmon is wonderful with a crisp skin lemon on top and herbs

7 Likes

Excellent @passerbye123!
:yum::yum:

4 Likes

Turkey - tasty, versatile, economically and environmentally friendly. Turkey’s are free range, have a reasonable life before being a food source. I have become mostly vegetarian and my concerns for the environment and climate change have almost eliminated beef; l eat lamb once a month and free range chicken once a fortnight. Pigs are more intelligent than dogs, have delightfully funny personalities and can be very emotional, so l have not eaten pork for a long time.
I enjoy a roast turkey buffet, - Christmas, twice a month :blush: Turkey burgers - mince turkey mixed with onions, chives, a little grated carrot and sauce - bbq or char sui or sweet chilli or hoisin or anything Thai or Vietnamese :grin:

5 Likes

Argh, yes turkey. You just reminded me that I haven’t seen it is the supermarkets in Tassie…like we used to see in Brisbane. No mince, steaks, minute steaks, wings, legs etc. I wonder where they have gone down here?

4 Likes

Turned Turkey and run? :rofl:

4 Likes

It is getting cold down here in Victoria. So time for my winter beef favorites.

Braised steak with onions and mushrooms. Some oyster blade beef slow cooked for an hour or two until cut it with a fork tender.

Corned beef, usually silverside, until again really tender served with some simple vegies and a nice white sauce.

5 Likes

I like all types of meats in many different ways of preparation and presentation.
Still can’t take to offal.
And I can’t understand why substitutes are called ‘plant-based meat’
It’s not meat, it’s plant with some artificial chemical to make it taste like meat.

3 Likes

I agree with you on two counts @PeteCabbie

•Nothing could induce me to eat offal
(Or snails either) :laughing:

•Veggies are so beautiful all by themselves, why masquerade them as something else? And why add beetroot to substitute meat and make it look like blood is dripping out? :grimacing:

6 Likes

I find our typical British diet of cow, sheep, pig and chicken to be quite underwhelming. The stuff we used to eat, like eels, pheasant, and various shellfish is more interesting, but it has become very difficult to find.

My recent favourite is marinated dried emu. ie. jerk emu jerky (“jerk” is a spicy Jamaican seasoning), but I don’t eat any farmed animals, and emu meat comes from emu farms. :frowning:

Also, it’s rather difficult to obtain Australian meats in Australia, because we’ve kept our British diet since we arrived. That includes kangaroo, if one doesn’t buy anything wrapped in layers of single-use plastic.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

5 Likes

Mine is definitely lamb but, as I am on a pension, the budget doesn’t often stretch to it. I eat mainly vegetarian meals I make from home grown produce but occasionally I find meat on special or reduced and I will buy some. I recently found a boned lamb shoulder for half price. I cooked it in the slow cooker with veggies and it lasted for 3 days.

5 Likes

I love Lamb, and Roast Lamb is my favourite. Perhaps it dates back to when I was Woolclassing in the outback and we ate Roast Lamb every night thanks to the Farmers’ generosity in providing the meat for us, perhaps not, but I simply can not pass up any type of Roast Lamb at any time. Despite working with the same Shearing Team for up to 8 months, we never ever tired of our Roast Lamb Dinner which we enjoyed every night.

5 Likes

Most meat production has possible harmful impacts on the environment. Non meat substitutes have a very real place in reducing the use of real meat in our diets.

Some have quoted how they like Salmon as their meat and on another topic I have placed a post about the sad environmental impacts the Salmon industry is having.

Some things perhaps for all of us to consider when choosing meat or meat substitutes in our diets is what effect it has on the environment.

4 Likes