Luggage

My Triplite suitcase is a couple of decades old. It’s been to Africa and America once, Europe a few times and numerous domestic trips. Recently it got run over by our camper-trailer. It still works fine, just a bit wonky. Going to Europe next year and would like something more presentable.
I checked out the Choice 2022 luggage review. There were only two check-in bags reviewed but only one recommended. Very disappointed.

2 Likes

Depending on how you plan to travel, we like our wheeled duffle bag type luggage. We travel with backpacks and also the wheeled duffle bag (dragged around with a free hand) for our child. We find them good and travel well. We got ours as a end of product line at Target very cheap about 5 years ago and it has been across Europe on a train, used domestically and to Chile.

4 Likes

I was in the long haul aviation business for 46 years so I learned a bit about suitcases etc.
What I discovered was that for me a wheeled duffel bag was ideal. Most brands allow you to shrink or expand the girth quite a bit so your kit for a 7 day trip could be packed and secured properly and so could 14 days of kit. My crews and I also discovered that our soft duffel bags tended to be less likely to be damaged by cargo handlers. A bit of a downer is the number of zips needing a TSA padlock.

5 Likes

So, that’s two strong recommendations for wheeled duffel bags as against anything else. Sounds good to me. How do we get Choice to do a review on them?

3 Likes

Hi @BobT, sorry that the luggage review didn’t contain a comprehensive look at the larger luggage type you are interested in. I’ll pass on your request to our product testing team for future consideration

3 Likes

Would you care to make some recommendations please?

I’ve asked phb for recommendations. Would you care make some recommendations or comments on things to look out for, also?

The one we have was from a Target and is a discontinued line.

Looking online, it is similar to a large Tosca Trek (Black) or the Fairfield High Sierra. When buying, look for sturdy material and also how it is stitched and reinforced (including around the handles). Also check to see what it is like to pull along and also its empty weight as well.

1 Like

Hi Bob
I found the High Sierra brand worked well for me. I need to remind you that the last time I bought one was about 12 years or so ago.
It’s important to thoroughly inspect the bag before purchase - quality control ain’t what it used to be. Ensure zips run free and are properly sewn in, pad lock holes line up, both wheels run free, handle retracts/extends smoothly and the fabric is properly sewn at all joints.
Ensure you check the empty weight coz it eats up your baggage allowance. Samsonite were well made but way too heavy. Some have rudimentary straps so it can be used as a backpack. It can’t, all the straps do is get in the way and cost tare weight.
As I said previously I found the rolling duffel ideal coz it is so very adjustable so short trips or long trips it just expanded or contracted to suit within reason. For us long haul guys this flexibility was very necessary coz we could do trips from 6 days to 14 days. Being soft they could be jammed into rather tight spaces when necessary.

1 Like

Random comments.

Do not buy too cheap and do not buy expensive. The baggage handlers are not going to be nice to either and having a $400 piece ruined or in need of repair is more irritating than a $125 piece. As was mentioned weight is very important excepting for short duration trips. Our luggage varies from 2.5 to 4.8kg, all being about the same capacity. The 2.5kg weight ones (no longer available- House brand of the defunct Victoria Station) were only about $100 each and have survived 3 RTW trips so far and are still in fine nick.

Most damage is from baggage handlers/handling and classified as wear and tear, not covered under any warranty so take a long warranty for what it is worth - not much in the context of warranties being limited to materials and workmanship. Most now have 4 wheels but whether 4 or just 2 check how stable the luggage is when packed ‘front heavy’ and larger wheels (to a point) roll better if you are going to walk far with them in tow. A tradeoff is better and bigger wheels weigh more, so back to overall weight.

1 Like

Yes, the High Sierra wheeled duffels look interesting. Their website shows three sizes, small, medium and large. They are distinguished by length only. No other dimensions are shown. I need to know their capacities in litres so I can compare them to my current luggage. That’s annoying. I had a look at one at Strandbags and thankfully the label showed the capacity. I’ve emailed their website asking for details but no response as yet. Does anyone know of a review somewhere that gives the details?

Just FYI the High Sierra duffel I used for years is 70cm high x 35cm wide. Thickness (best word I can think of) obviously varies with the adjustment straps and enclosed load. I have no idea of the volume.
Sorry but I don’t know of any reviews.

Thanks for that. That’s probably the one they call “medium 76cm”. The adjustment straps you mentioned, are they on the inside out outside? The images don’t show it well and I didn’t notice them on the one I looked at. I was thinking it could do with a couple of cheap Bunnings straps to tidy it up.

The bag has an upper and a lower section separated by a zip out fabric panel. The upper section has no straps to compress it but the lower section has both inside hold fast straps to keep stuff stable and outside straps to compress it. Basically you can empty the lower section and flatten it significantly for smaller trips or fill 'er up for longer ones. Bunnings straps over the whole outside might be a good idea for small loads.
Caution! My bag is over 10 years old now, I’ve been retired 7 years, so new ones might be different.

1 Like

I recently read the updated 2023 review of check in luggage and not one of the bags tested was the far superior 2 wheeled type.
The 4 wheel “spinner” bags not only are slower (and annoying) to transport but are next to useless on any sort of rough surface (eg cobbled streets) or for mounting kerbs or stairs. They are also heavier and have less internal volume. There are also reports that they can cause injuries: see https://www.afar.com/magazine/two-wheel-vs-four-wheel-luggage-why-roller-bags-are-better for some discussion.

Like the previous posters, I’ve found wheeled duffle bags to be the best combination of lightness, practicality and protection, but when my 10 year old Antler wheeled duffle was ruined by an airline on my last trip, I looked around for a good deal and replaced it with a two wheeled “trolley” bag (also an Antler) which is similar in dimensions, although slightly heavier.

How does choice choose what luggage to review? I wouldn’t consider purchasing any of the luggage in this review.

Reading the comments about the wheeled duffle bags, I was sold on their practicality. However, when I checked them out, they seemed a bit fussy and more conducive to stuffing rather than careful packing. Then Strandbags had a huge sale on Flylite spinners. I bought a 69L one for $170. I thought, if it survives a 3 week trip to Europe without losing a wheel, it’ll pay for itself. Anyway, it came back as good as new. No complaints. The small wheels were no problem at all at airports but a bit awkward when having to drag them longer distances between station as one sometimes have to do in Europe.

1 Like

Noticed when purchasing a new hard shell for OS travel the luggage world is 4WS (4 wheel spinner). Assume this reflects the needs of 98% of the westernised travelling public. IE how to get the bag from the carousel to the taxi or vice versa to checkin on mirror finished hard surfaces.

Agree the 2wheel drive pull along, with larger wheels on some is far more useful at other than the major Aussie terminals. The smaller the terminal the greater the need for self service. Also essential for getting to and from the hire car across lumpy bitumen, dirt and potholes. My aged goto has sturdy shoulder straps to back pack and a pull out poncho to keep the bag dry.

The one reason I still prefer a hard shell. Not a pleasant feeling seeing yours exposed on the luggage trailer next the aircraft at Cairns while the handlers shelter under the wing from a passing tropical downpour.

Some unzip so that the bag folds in half like a traditional suitcase. Packing of contents are no different to a traditional suitcase. The ‘lid’ also has storage and is useful for things like underwear, shoes, pjs, raincoats etc which don’t need to packed as neatly.

There are ones that are just a shapeless cloth bag, and ones with some structure that allow you to pack carefully. The one I purchased recently, the Antler Bridgford has several compartments to allow careful packing - see the pictures: Antler Bridgford Large Trolley Bag - Charcoal by Antler (4600123033) (of course I paid less than half the price listed)…

I don’t know about you, but the time moving my bag in an actual airport is almost an insignificant part of my travel with my luggage. Travel to, in and from a train/metro/tube station, travel to and from the hire car etc are far more frequent and regularly involve paved streets or footpaths, gravel or grass and regularly taking luggage on stairs or gaps or single steps up and down.

Water still gets through the zippers. I’ve found the main body of soft luggage to be quite water resistant, but I put a plastic bag in as the last item under the zipper to prevent any issues.

1 Like

Welcome to the 2%. Happy to agree it’s an inaccurate estimate. The reality is the marketing is targeting the ease of use of the spinners in situations where they appear to be the perfect choice. In particular the zero load bearing ease of manoeuvre for the passenger. Looking at what is on display in store (larger luggage) a quick count suggests there are only one or two options that are not 4 wheeled. 1 in 50 samples, 1 in 25, … every store is different. I doubt you and I will change the world view.

On hard shell vs softpack.

True given enough rain, melting snow etc. Having experienced both extremes with hard shell and soft pack - I choose according to the journey profile. Wedding guest it would always be a hardback. Bush camp in PNG, soft pack with back straps, contents divided into plastic bags with ties to help keep the damp from the contents. Mouldy soft pack a real risk. Wheels optional, water resistant mud boots packed in the top accessible compartment alongside suitable wet weather protection. Wheeled luggage of little value, although where better conditions two is the better choice.