Line trimmer/Whipper snipper review

Our line trimmer review is now update for 2019 (member content). We review based on trimming performance short and long grass, especially vertical trimming along lawn edges, noise, plus comfort and ease of use. For other tips such as shaft type, engine type and things to look out for, see our free line trimmer buying guide.

Do you have an experience with this garden maintenance tool? Share it below and help inform other Community members.

4 Likes

I bought a ā€˜professional standardā€™ Stihl with straight shaft about 15 years ago, now. Iā€™m told the newer cable shafts are very reliable, but Iā€™d still recommend the straight shaft. It gets intermittent and sometimes very, very heavy use - cutting grass a metre tall and edging measured in kilometres. The harness is a must for this kind of usage level. The line-feed system works reasonably well - newer ones will be better. Iā€™ve had zero trouble except for operator error; the ā€˜cup-headā€™ fittings over the line-feeder are a bit expensive.
(My Stihl chainsaw is 40 years old and still starts on the third pull after sitting idle for months. Which gives me some brand loyalty!) Itā€™s one solution - buy a (relatively) expensive professional-standard machine and never need to replace.

6 Likes

I could add to that recommendation, although the Choice review comparison may be between tools intended to operate 30-60 minutes for a typical yard weekly, but not heavier duty or continuously for an eight hour day.

Some of the products reviewed appear to be more than suitable for larger 2,000-4,000sqm blocks. Perhaps a separate recommendation within the selected products is possible for those better suited to heavier duty.

Itā€™s most likely the average home owner does not need to spend $1,000 on a brush cutter that can take out four metre tall grass or scrub. Stihl is just one of the brands that produce reliable products for professional use.

1 Like

Iā€™ll also second that. Iā€™ve had one of the Honda UMS425 units in the review for more than 10 years. We have a relatively large block in the foothills and the trimmer is used for several hours at a time both days of the weekend this time of the year and into early summer, every few weekends It has been extremely reliable and I personally really like the fact that it is a 4-stroke. I have replaced the head with a newer head that makes replacing line easier and quicker. This is purely a convenience thing though. I also have a Stihl chainsaw and blower which have been very reliable, so if they are anything to go on Iā€™d expect their trimmers to be great too.

1 Like

The buying guide mentions that 4 stroke motors are less polluting than 2 stroke. This is quite so, much of the oil in 2 stroke mix goes into the air as fine particulates due to incomplete combustion. Donā€™t dismiss this just because it is a minor matter within the scale of global pollution - which it probably is.

Do consider if you or other users want to breath in this pollution. If your lungs are compromised in any way or you are asthmatic a 2 stroke will probably give you much more trouble than a 4 stroke. Of course if you can get it done with an electric that is even better. The same could be said of other petrol power tools, dirt bikes etc but I digress.

As others have said consider how much use the trimmer will get. A cheap trimmer on a big block will not be a saving in the long run.

2 Likes

I have a Stihl Wood Boss chainsaw that is over 30 years old and still starts with a couple of attempts despite not being used for many months at a time.

It was originaly bought for business for clearing forest but is now used for the odd domestic job.

Minimal repairs over the decades, mainly fiddley items such as fuel caps, fuel priming bulb, filters, etc.

Fantastic product.

I also had an Echo straight shaft brush cutter which I used to clear lantana and guinea grass when we built our previous residence.

A great machine with minimal maintenance but the mechanic said that the shaft was wearing out and it was not economical to repair.

I donated it to Lifeline still in working order after almost 20 years of use.

1 Like

Aldi Gardenline Line Trimmer - Yeah? Naaaahhh!

I purchased this roll of Gardenline Trimmer Line from Aldi for my wippa snippa. Bargain priced, and what could possibly go wrong?

As it turns out, everything.
When you remove the line from the package, it retains its tightly coiled form, like a tumblebug (Slinky). This makes it an exercise in frustration, winding it onto the trimmer head, as it tends to keep coiling up and entangling itself.

And after wasting a much longer than usual length of time winding it onto the trimmer head, along with swearing and cursing, using the wippa snippa now reveals another problem. As the line feeds out of the trimmer head, it curls up on itself, so that it doesnā€™t really work properly.

I have used this product once, and now itā€™s being unceremoniously tossed into the bin and Iā€™ll go to BigW and get a better quality product. I may have to pay a bit more, but Iā€™ll have a useable product, and no frustration and :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: swearing.

Another Aldi special reveals why it is so ā€œspecialā€.

BB

2 Likes

Thanks for your review. Is there a reason you binned it rather than asking for a refund?

1 Like

Yes.
I bought it on the spur of the moment some time ago, and put it aside for when my existing roll of line trimmer ran out.
That happened only 2 weeks ago, and then I tried the Aldi trimmer line.
So I donā€™t have a receipt from Aldi and it would be more than a year ago that I bought it.

I went to BigW yesterday to buy another roll of their trimmer line, only to discover they no longer sell it.

So, off to Bunnings where there is a large selection and price variation. Some of the brands came in what looked like very similar packaging to the Aldi brand, so I gave them a miss and bought two different rolls at modest prices to see how they go.

BB

2 Likes

Ryobi straight shaft two stroke line trimmer.
No issues. Drain the fuel end summer, pull onto compression, fill in summer to use and away it goes second or third pull after priming. Only use synthetic two stroke oil so no gumming issue.
Would be six years old, only gets used in summer as nothing grows in winter. Use the square edge 2.5mm cord from Bunnings. Definitely well superior the square edge over the round cord for lasting and cutting.
Would like to have bought a straight shaft line trimmer with the 4 stroke Suburu engine as the 4 stroke Honda engine is problematical, especially with the carburettor. Couldnā€™t find one at the time, so Ryobi it was. Have a Subaru 4 stroke engine water pump. Flick on the choke, pull and goes every time. Donā€™t use it as much now have a 18V Ryobi pump.