ALDI Special Buys - Quality Issues

Bought and induction cooktop earlier this year (think it was $49 or similar), use it every day and it works perfectly. On same day bought a Stirling automatic vacuum cleaner (approx $170) which is used once a week and also works perfectly. It does have some problems with my lounge room chairs, which have wooden legs in shape of an X, but so did the old one. Really good battery so far which charges quickly and lasts a couple of hours. I have wooden floors and a dog which loses fur, and it copes well with that. Also have an Aldi scale, bought 10-15 years ago which still works perfectly (not often used) and have never replaced the battery.

Negative: recent purchase of spray watering gizmo ($10) does not work at all, it comes apart when connected to hose.

4 Likes

Glad you have such good purchases. Were the first 2 items Not Made in China?

2 Likes

Looks like a Aldi product with potentially disastrous results if it fails, like this one…

What is concerning is that the powerboard’s owner indicated that Aldi offerred refund but said that it was not liable for damage caused by the fire resulting from the failure of their Workzone Powerboard. Aldi is claiming that the powerboard was used in an outdoor environment (namely, a backyard shed).

While the instructions for the poweboard indicates that it is only to be used indoors, one would expect that inside a shed office/room would be indoors (rather than within say only within a house as it appears to be the claim of ALDI).

If the fire resulted from a powerboard fault , the information provided by Aldi seems in contravention of the Australian Consumer Law where

Your customers can seek compensation for damages and losses they have suffered due to a problem with a product or service (in addition to any other remedy provided) if you could have reasonably foreseen the problem. In other words, customers can also recover losses that would probably result from your failure to meet a guarantee.

Damages include the cost caused to the consumer as a result of the problem with the product or service. This is usually financial, such as costs of repairing damaged carpets as a result of a faulty leaking washing machine, inspection and transportation. It can also include lost time or productivity.

You do not have to pay for damages or losses that:

• are not caused by your business or the goods you supplied
  • relate to something independent of your business and outside your control, after the goods left your control.
4 Likes

Indeed/agreed. If the shed has a door, then using it in the shed is using it indoors - if they want to be picky :wink: I think they’d have a lot of trouble if they tried that one in any real test of consumer law - just a bluff …

4 Likes

I bought an Aldi robot vacuum cleaner a few years ago. It was much cheaper than the known brands, but didn’t work very well. It missed a lot of dirt and frequently wedged itself under furniture. This may be an issue with all robot vacuum cleaners. However, I couldn’t leave it unsupervised. It didn’t last very long either. Less than 1 year. I bought it because it was a novelty. It ended up in landfill.For my next vacuum I returned to the traditional canister “pet” type.

3 Likes

I have had similar experiences with Aldi Special Buys to the point where i will never buy another electrical appliance from them. A few years ago, we renovated the kitchen of an investment property and decided to install an Aldi ceramic cooktop because it came with a 3 year in home repair/replacement warranty. The cooktop failed within 4 months, so I rang Tempo (the importers) to arrange an in home repair, but they advised that they reserve the right to instead provide a full refund under the terms of their warranty. I got my money back but then had to buy a new cooktop, pay an electrician to remove (and dispose of) the old one then install the new one. I will never buy another Aldi electrical appliance.

6 Likes

You can also seek compensation for the failure, the cost of removal and replacement beyond the item’s refund value are costs you can claim for a failure. Many think it is only the item’s value that is claimable but the Australian Consumer Law makes it clear this is not the only cost recoverable.

3 Likes

I agree with you on the drill bit comment. They’re not worth buying.
I have bought two of the Aldi electric mowers. The first one I bought early this year and it is still going well.
Inspired by this I bought what I thought was a better model with a mulching system.This one lasted only a few weeks and I returned it for a refund.

2 Likes

I remember buying a pair of joggers a while ago didn’t seem to bad to wear but didn’t last to long in the sole commonly lots of footwear don’t last long.

1 Like

I used to get the Aldi special buys, kettles, fryers and other electrical goods but no more. All ended up in the bin due to breaking down due to poor quality. Never bothered to return them. Lately I bought a Pressure Washer-thought I had a bargain-used it once or twice and really good. Brought it out recently-started smoking with a small electrical shock. The warranty was good so I got a refund which is cool. (I bought a Gernie the other day and I was surprised how much better the quality was compared to the Aldi brand-chalk and cheese really). The only things that seem to be of good quality are their coffee machines. Other than that, I’m an Aldi fan.

3 Likes

Seems most footwear at any price has the same problem. My top brand shoes have the same problem after less than 12 months having been worn for only a quarter of that time. When they were made in Australia I got 3 to 4 years from the same brand.
I now buy the absolute cheapest and hope they last 6 months - some do not!

3 Likes

Do you mean the capsule machine they sell.

I would never buy any electrical items from Aldi or there special buys as to me they are rubbish.Why bother wasting your time.Buy something that is better quality and enjoy the rewards from it

4 Likes

Modify the last line to ‘last 3 months’ !! two pairs in 5 months and only being worn maybe 40 times. My Redback boots (the Tasmanian pair are now about 8 years old and still good but only get worn twice a week during winter)!

1 Like

Yes

A cogent comment.

Ha Ha!
I was replying to passerbye123 “Do you mean the capsule machine they sell.”
I replied ‘Yes’.

Thought I got it right.

Click the “Reply” button on the bottom right of a post to reply to it. If you have it right you will see the addressee named at the top of the edit box as you are typing. If you don’t see that addressee cancel the reply and try again.

2 Likes

Post in another thread about the quality of Aldi Special Buys line trimmer cord.

Only ever bought tools on Aldi Special Buys. Have a friend in Stanthorpe that buys if I need.
Have had no issues at all with the sockets. Tested for hardness as I had a Rockwell testing machine and all good. The socket sets have been well selected for contents, better than other brands. One was a combination socket set to take travelling to cut down weight, and selection of contents best seen.
Torque wrench wanted for travelling. Made in China, spring made in Japan, mid-range test was average 4% which is acceptable for torque wrench of that type. Came in good case with three sockets and extension bar.
Step drills/hole cutters - these were cheap and didn’t hold much hope. Lashed out and bought two sets, bad move, they are turned out as good as my US made Vermont. My Vermont are imperial and needed metric sizes.
Bought two small metric drill sets 1-8mm used them a fair bit as convenient in the holder they came. So far good. They are only handyman drills and if I was going to drill something in my lathe or drill press would use the better drills.
Lightweight children’s overalls are sensational. Quality, with reinforced pockets. Bought must be three years ago, still going well and much worn.