Kombucha - do you drink it?

Sales of fermented drink kombucha are booming. Once the domain of boutique brewers and health food shops, the range of kombucha drinks sold through mainstream supermarkets is increasing. We’re planning on taking a look at kombucha, and would like to get better idea of its appeal.

A quick poll question for all the kombucha drinkers out there: what’s the main reason you like to drink kombucha, other than for taste?

• Because it’s low in sugar
  • For the benefits of the live culture content
  • Other reason (please give details in your comments)

0 voters

We’d also like to know if you buy it or make it yourself. And if you buy it, what brands do you drink and where do you buy them? Photos of the label and the ingredients list/nutrition information panel would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2 Likes

We don’t drink it as we don’t consume Tea and this product starts with fermented Tea.

1 Like

Amazing stuff - we did a workshop where we put together kombucha and the initial scoby was provided. Also we did kefir - both water kefir and milk kefir - amazing stuff. Honestly I have no idea what the health benefits are :slight_smile: but the water kefir you could make with all sorts of fruits and do the second ferment and it was so tasty, mangoes, apricot, etc. Milk kefir is also nice, not unlike a yoghurt culture. The water kefir could get very fizzy … but after while the kefir grains seemed to get lazy and we needed a new batch. Milk kefir on the other hand just goes forever - in my experience just never bring viili into the house - its rampant and will take everything over unless you are completely anal about washing and separating containers. Water kefir is also really amazing when making ‘kraut’ style jars - shredded cabbage or carrot, etc. The only thing with all of these is that it’s like owning a pet - once you adopt the bacteria you need to keep it going :slight_smile:

1 Like

I drink Kombucha as an alternative option to drinking alcohol. The non-alcoholic options can be limited in pubs and bars and I can’t stand drinking soft drink and juice and there is only so many glasses of sparkling water you can enjoy! Kombucha is available in some pubs and restaurants, it has the added benefits of being low is sugar and live culture content as well as just having a different flavour and very low alcohol content.

4 Likes

I agree with Amanda. I have the same reasons for drinking kombucha.

I make my own - it’s the only way to control the ingredients and fermentation process and ensure you’re getting the “real deal”. You have the flexibility to tailor it to your own tastes and preferences.
I would never even consider buying any commercial processed versions - who knows what they do it??

1 Like

I used to make kombucha (never bought it) years ago when my son lived here. Now I prefer water kefir, with its quick two day turnaround, or four if you do a second ferment.Adding a juice of your choice makes a delicious drink.

I have a list of the probiotics in kefir, but no link, so can’t post here. It’s a very long list!

We have been making and drinking kombucha for several years now, 20 plus litres per week, myself and my 4 year old, have allergies and intolerances, the benefits in our wellbeing by drinking kombucha, is outstanding. My 4 year old is unable to have dairy and I was concerned about he’s calcium intake, he’s dietitian from RCH Melbourne, has calculated that from he’s daily kombucha he is having the equivalent daily calcium needs for a 9year old.

I have been making my own for years and giving the extra scoby’s to friends. My whole family drinks it, and the kids love it. We have it for it’s gut benefits and I prefer making my own because it’s a lot cheaper and you can control how sweet it is as well as flavour however you like.
Because I do a second ferment with berries, it doesn’t taste like tea, more like a slightly sweet berry cordial.
I have noticed differences in the families immunity, we just don’t get sick. I think milk Kefir is probably better than Kombucha for gut health and immunity but more time consuming I found.

Have you tried milk kefir? I believe the grains consume the lactose (if it’s lactose he can’t have?) and you start with a great milk like BD Farm unhomoginised (already got the good bacteria). I noticed a real difference with milk kefir as opposed to the Booch. Still benefits but lots more.

Hi, yes I make and drink it myself, and use the whey from it for my other fermented food, fantastic stuff, unfortunately with both of my youngest children, it’s dairy in total, not just a lactose problem.

Make my own and have done so for years - I agree would not buy unless out and using as an alternative to soft drink / fruit juice as its difficult to know exactly what you’re getting.
Also I can control the sweetness when I make it as I don’t like sweet.
Have heard of the kefir but have no access to starter grains and have not tasted, sounds interesting.

We make our own, for the probiotic health benefits. I would be very careful buying it, apart from the ludicrous expense, I want to know that it really is healthy - organic, low in sugar, no preservatives, and the organisms are actually live! Who knows how the mass produced drinks are made and what regulations (who trusts regulators about health anyway) are followed…

We have been making our own kombucha for about 9 months. We use the continuous fermentation method in one of those large glass, lidded drink dispensers with a tap. We could not keep up production for two of us, so we now have two on the go. We have both reduced at home alcohol consumption (wine) significantly and enjoy mostly fresh fruit steeped infusions. I do see most commercial kombucha as ‘not the real thing’. It is something I would try out of a drinks cabinet if pushed, but usually drink water after getting over my long-held aversion to paying so much for water in a deli/ cafe etc. Kombucha is easy to do at home. Starters are becoming easier to get hold of from friends etc. but can also be obtained from ebay/ gumtree etc. There is plenty of ‘how to’ help on youtube, so newbies don’t need to do a course. It isn’t for everyone - as we have found when we go to social events with our bottle of kombucha instead of our normal bottle of red! It seems to go very well with food.

1 Like

Home brewers should look very carefully at this:

2 Likes

We buy from a local market and drink due to perceived health benefits for your gut. Have bought some from local supermarket and chemist however much prefer taste from the market variety. Only been having it for about 8 weeks so too soon to tell if any immune system benefits but bloating and generally feeling better in the gut has been achieved so far.

Yes, Love it! And - at least the top quality ones - are healthy,

I have not tried it yet but would like to sample “the real deal”…

Still looking for somewhere nearby where I can get some!

I am interested in trying the tea as an alternative to all the water I usually drink, as well as the multiple health benefits.

I have never had kombucha, but I am interested, as it is alleged to be low in sugar, and I am diabetic.
Would love to know about all the pros and cons. Then I can taste it and decide for myself.

We tried it because it was the only drink in a 'fridge at the cafe in the Sydney Botanical Gardens that was not a sugar laden soft-drink (Coke etc…). So nothing more than idle curiosity really. Having said that, it was quite pleasant and we would likely drink it again though not too often given the ridiculous price!!