Kombucha - do you drink it?

Given the recent promotion of "fermented’ foods / drinks to help gut bacteria I hope I can soon find a ‘market’ / home made product - non alcoholic near me in Melbourne. Unless I become an addict I am not interested in making my own.
Is there a farmers market / other that sells organic / low sugar / no preservatives / non alcoholic Kombucha?
Re commercial made apparently the Yogi Bear made in Byron Bay is very good.

draughtrider, The health benefits are all about the ingestion of fermented foods. More and more research is uncovering the importance of the gut microbiome. So much so the gut is now considered the second brain and is responsible for all manner of health issues. Improving the ‘good’ bacteria over the ‘bad’ bacteria is the reason for using fermented foods. Hence the rise in products such as sauerkraut, fermented vegetables, kefir and kombucha. All these foods have been around for thousands of years in other cultures so they are not new. The understanding of science of their effects on the body is what is new. Then add on the manufacturers who ramp up the latest ‘trend’ and we now see these products everywhere. Expensive products! By the way they are very easy to make at home none take more than a few minutes then you wait for the magic to happen - anything from a few hours to a few days/weeks.

1 Like

Wend, You’d be hard pressed NOT to find kombucha in Melbourne! Don’t tell me this is an area Sydney is ahead! :slight_smile: Seriously, check out Woolworth, Harris Farm as they both sell it here in Sydney. Any ‘health food’ shop/market would also sell it - look in the fridge, you will likely find kefir there too (a drink much like a thick drinking yogurt (coconut is delicious).

1 Like

barbarashorton you can get grains over the internet. Just go a google search on kefir grains and you will see there are many places. This one is in Melbourne:

I don’t buy kombucha very often because it’s a bit more expensive (I have tight budget restrictions) but it appeals for it’s sherbety taste, potential for probiotics to reduce bloating,improve mood and avoid sugar(obesity,diabetes, inflammatory,mood depressant,dental risks).I dont like artificial sweeteners for health or taste.I hope a low cost variety will eventuate as popularity grows.
I also need alternatives to alcohol when at pubs etc.

1 Like

Hi everyone

It has been great reading people’s feedback and comments about kombucha - thanks to everyone for contributing to this post. It should make for a good story.

The poll results in particular are interesting, but in order to have greater confidence in the results we need a larger number base. So we’ve created a (slightly more comprehensive) survey on another platform, with a link that can be shared: https://www.voiceyourchoice.com.au/c/a/6etkPFu4MHz682YqdaireR?SampleIs=1

For all those who completed the previous poll, it would be great if you could complete this survey too. And if you can copy and share this link with as many kombucha drinking friends and family members as you can, that would be even better!

Thanks in advance to you all for your help.

Cheers
Rachel

2 Likes

Here’s @rclemons article on kombucha for those interested. Thanks again for all the contributions :thumbsup: