If you like ebikes and you had a few thousand dollars to spend, which one would you get?

We’re looking into which models we should include in our next e-bike review.

If you like ebikes and you had a few thousand dollars to spend, which one would you get?

We’d love to hear what specific brand and model you would buy if you were looking for a

• Folding ebike
  • Cargo ebike
  • Step through ebike
  • Mountain ebike

Your answers will help guide our upcoming test.

5 Likes

Cheap and cheerful?

As I already have a folding e-bike I’d look to a model that has all the features I could not get 4 years ago when I purchased it.

Don’t forget to test the seats for comfort. If one is not inclined to standup clipped into the pedals no everyday bicycle seat can pass our comfort test. I suspect a thorough review might reveal why the more expensive options are the better option!

P.S.
Is this a bike or is it a scooter? My suggestion for another category - if not this time. Great seat and no risk of breaking into a sweat. Note regulations may limit or prevent where one might be able to ride one.

Electric Scooters The Commuters friend - Not! - #97 by mark_m

5 Likes

Thanks @mark_m :+1:

2 Likes

Trike with seat and carry basket

3 Likes

Looking to get a good allrounder to commute to work. Since I like riding my road bike (Giant OCR) I will look for a good riding position that comes close to a road bike. But with touring bike features like mudguards and luggage rack to hang panniers. As far as drive goes, a mid engine and battery from a known supplier would be preferrable. So far these specs have landed me in a price bracket that I can’t justify ($4000+, e.g. Giant FastRoad E+). Not sure where this ends up or where I am willing to compromise to get an e-bike. Right now I do have a good bicycle and a motorbike to chose from.

4 Likes

I have had a Merida touring e-bike for 4 years. It uses Shimano components. Disappointed when the motor failed after 8,000km. $950 to replace. I opened up the old motor and discovered a gear lost 2 teeth. Investigated getting it repaired but Shimano does not provide any spare parts for the motors. If I had a Bosch motor spares are available.

4 Likes

Conversions are another option. I had a local bike shop fit a Bafang mid-drive conversion to my near-new flat bar road bike. I needed a 750 watt motor to cope with the 600 metre 18% grade road up to my house. The bike was $1,000 and the conversion $2,700 making it exceptional value.

1 Like

Bike conversion kits are an interesting option for Choice to consider. Possibly as a seperate topic/review. Great way to reuse the existing bike rather than scrap etc? When I purchased my e-bike the conversion kits were mostly front hub conversions. These kept the rear wheel and existing sprockets and ratios.

Street and public use legal limits for e-bikes remain (mostly) 200/250W and 25kph maximum speed. EG Vic https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/cyclist-safety/power-assisted-bicycles. One needs to check your Territory/State and in some localities local council regulations as to what is permitted.

Note Bafang offer compliant 250W mid drive conversions. The higher powered drives such as a 750W are specified for 45kph.

1 Like

I’m looking for simple e-bike for short commutes to shops. Features I’m looking for:

• has a decent basket (or at least a rack that can take one) on the front
  • panier rack on the back
  • with fenders
  • step through or low step so that everyone in the family can use it
  • not overly heavy so it’s not too unwieldy
  • low maintenance

A couple of models of interest are:

• Lekker Jordaan Urban eBike (from Lekker Bikes)
  • VelectriX Compact Pulse Electric Bike (from 99 Bikes)
2 Likes

I have a Leitner Libelle Step- Thu Folding Bike.

1. Its Australian manufacture
  2. It folds up very easily
  3. It suits me because I am short in stature
  4. It’s very sturdy
  5. They deliver!!!
  6. They have great after-sales service
2 Likes

Welcome to the community @LeslieB

A couple of interesting choices.
Hope you take an opportunity to test ride each before you decide.

1 Like

I am not suggesting that for a moment, but I have seen that you can buy stickers that make it LOOK like your Bafang e-bike conversion complies with the legal limits… Not that I have seen this being policed here.
Also one of the local bike shops was trying to sell me an e-bike based on how fast they would go. When I asked to show me the ones that comply with regulation here in QLD the sales person lost interest…

3 Likes

I have had my stepthrough e-bike for a year now and love it. It is my only form of transport ATM, but will continue to commute with it even once I can drive again.

I tried heaps of bikes but kept coming back to this one.
Its a fairly unique design with lots of functional engineering, designed to encourage commuting easily, with a lot of built-in features. Its Perth designed and serviced which is great, even it is manufactured in China.
I found I particularly liked the torque driven front hub motor, kind of like all/2WD, and feels more like riding a standard bike compared to cadence driven motors.

2 Likes

Very little on offer to suit my needs (older woman). Most are too heavy 25 kg plus, and most do not put weight of bike in specs which is first thing I look for. Must be step through style. I would consider Brompton electric or non electric, or MOOV which are lighter. Also considering getting a Swytch battery and wheel to fit to my Scandinavian style non electric step through bike as it is a delight to ride and only 15 kg. Or might buy non electric Brompton and fit Swytch battery.,

2 Likes

Queensland has removed the motor power limits for all electric powered rideables except for E-bikes. The legal responsibility for use falls on the purchaser and not the seller. An issue Choice has highlighted on occasion for other consumer goods. Make what one can of the attitude of that business to providing suitable legal advice or the behaviour they might be encouraging. A sale is a sale.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Tamar. An interesting suggestion.

Brompton is a one of those brands others are often compared against. $7000? The folding electric bikes weigh as little as 15.6kg with battery.

Note one might own 7 different coloured MOOV E-bikes. One for each day of the week or a Brompton?

2 Likes

No room for 7 MOOV bikes. Non electric Brompton with Swytch battery more likely
Cheers

I bought a Lekker Amsterdam Plus last year - I couldn’t be happier. It is perfect for commuter riding in the city. It has a good high riding position. Carbon belt drive and internal gears so no messy derailleur and you can change gears at lights etc when you are stationary. worth every penny.

2 Likes

I’m very happy with a Lekker Amsterdam plus - good solid build quality.

1 Like

Merida eone sixty 700 electric mountain bike

1 Like