If money and time were no object What Place in the World would you like to visit?

Welcome to the community @KatKop!

That must’ve been a most interesting trip :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Me too! My most vivid memory is when we were taken to a traditional hotel at the foothills of Mount Fuji, and we were given kimonos to wear to our Kaiseki dinner and after dinner we were treated to a powerful performance of Taiko drumming.
Countless times during the night I got up from my futon on the floor to look from the window at majestic Mt Fuji, a crown of snow around its top!

1 Like

@Gaby started this topic, and I wondered why it just went dormant.

Recently been rereading some Bill Bryson travel books and getting an itch for some travel.

This topic had some interesting experiences of posters. Love to get some ideas.

2 Likes

“If money…was no object”, remains relevant. The failure of air travel costs to return to pre-Covid norms feeds the dreams. The reliability issues around air travel, availability of hire cars might be another hurdle. Our recent travel experiences across 3 states revealed many providers of accommodation charging premium prices for properties in poor condition.

Perhaps it’s a sign of the times. With household budgets tightening so are the businesses trading on the whims of domestic tourism. At the peak of the school holidays just over we were able to go to one heart of Sunshine Coast tourism (Mooloolaba Fish Markets). A park directly opposite our unbooked lunch spot (Sakana). Mostly vacant tables and timely service with no wait. A short 60 second stroll to the fresh fish market. Again no queue at the door and served within a minute or two of entering. Fresh small Mooloolaba prawns (around 5-8cm) at $12 /kg.

Perhaps the greater interest now will be on having a great holiday, any holiday on a budget we can all afford. Is there inspiration in Bill Bryson’s a “Walk in the Woods”, also available in movie form. Whether Australia’s walking trails offer similar comedic adventure, it may be worth a trip to the local camping store for a trial fit out. The wise one prefers a motor home option including laundry and shower. If money was no object! :wink:

2 Likes

I’m also being nostalgic about travelling @GregR, it’s been a long time since Covid has put a stop to my trips.

To get inspiration and information I used to go to the Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre when they would hold a travel expo. I believe this year there’s a Holiday and Travel show November 5-6, if I’m not mistaken. And: Snow travel expo 21 May '23, 9am-4pm, about resorts in Aus, Europe, USA, Japan, China…

One memorable experience has been Japan, a country made highly enjoyable by the natural beauty, the historical places, the modern structures and technology, and the absolute cleanliness and orderliness and quietness of the place. If you haven’t visited yet, I would highly recommend that you make it your next trip. The people are very pleasant, those in hotels and shops don’t think it’s beneath them to assist you with a smile and a little bow and make sure you’re a satisfied customer.

Looking forward to hear from you while on your travels :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Japan does look good. I have contemplated Vietnam as I have heard from some who have gone there that it has some spectacular features.
And viet food is pretty darn good.

2 Likes

A walk in the woods. Driven and camped through every state the Appalachian trail goes through except Vermont.
No bears, but did get terrorised by deer in Virginia, and very close encounter with a skunk in New Hampshire.

But as money is no object, I’d like to walk the trail, but NO backpack A party of bearers would walk ahead and set up for a lunch stop, and at end of day set up my tent and bed and get dinner ready. Chill the wine if needed.
:wink:

4 Likes