How to successfully open Button Battery packaging

Does anyone have a decent easy way of getting button batteries out of their packaging? I know, not food, but where else should this one go? I usually end up having to cut the plastic and even then, it never wants to give up its contents. There has to be an easier way (and yes, I need them for my BGL meters)

3 Likes

I’ve had to do this once recently for the Toyota key fob. The new double - triple invisible layers are part of improved safety standards. I just kept hacking away along one edge until it became apparent where to hack next. It does look as though the design provides for a more refined approach. No instructions or ‘cut here’ on the packaging to explain how? I’ll be trying a fresh blade in a utility knife on a cutting board next time. Extreme care required.

P.S.
We received a delivery of hearing aid batteries for our mum in January from Hearing Australia. The packaging for these has not been upgraded. A suspicion is it may not happen for their direct supply model. It will be too difficult for many users to access them.

2 Likes

I don’t see how you would get through that heavy plastic without cutting. Did you picture tearing with your fingers? If a knife is too awkward try scissors.

1 Like

I just thought there may be a way of separating the two layers of plastic manually, and I had missed it… guess not…

2 Likes

These may offer some ideas of safer options to cut the blister packs??

https://www.amazon.com.au/package-opener/s?k=package+opener

2 Likes

I looked them over but I don’t think they will do for the battery packs which are horrendous. I get why there needs to be safety, but gee, impossible is not what one expects! I currently use a serrated edge knife (I already blunted my scissors on them in the past)

1 Like

They are tough buggers.
On similar tough blister packs I’ve also resorted to using a pair of old style tin snips. Aero snips are similar in purpose. It does mean a trip to the garage. It might be worth while keeping an eye out for them in the discount trays. They handle heavy plastic just fine.
Yes, it’s one more tool for the bottom kitchen drawer, but if it’s a regular problem?

P.S.
There is a technique to how one holds the old style snips. Look on line first. Not all older hands will find it convenient or practical.

3 Likes

I find single edge razor blades are effective although significant care has to be taken. A safer alternative are box cutter/utility blades

and hobby knives.

3 Likes

Boxcutter, great idea. I don’t currently own one but will correct that oversight asap.

2 Likes

I use scissors. Works for me.

1 Like

If you know the size battery, one of these can work as well:

You can place the punch so it fits over the battery and then tap…it will pierce the plastic leaving the battery very easy to remove. The punches come in sized up to about 15-20mm. smaller sizes are more common.

3 Likes

Could CHOICE not talk to manufacturers to get them to either include instructions or modify the packaging???

1 Like

The instructions would be something like “Place the packet on a cutting board and cut the plastic away from the button with a sharp blade or scissors. Do not cut the battery. Do not use your teeth” Those who have been using just their fingers would heave a big sigh of relief as soon as this secret was revealed.

If the packaging was weak enough to tear easily there would be complaints that children could help themselves and swallow the buttons. I seem to recall there have been threads on the swallowing risks.

May I suggest that this problem does not require too much more of our time.

1 Like

I use these. Fiskars scissors from Bunnings in the tool shop. They cut through poly rope so the blister packs are a walk in the park.

I understand the need for the packaging but my rheumatoid arthritic hands are not happy with the pain I have to go through accessing batteries in a child free home.

6 Likes

I use a micro-ceramic cutter

4 Likes

Instructions yes, modification of packaging a definite no.

Changing difficult packaging making them easier to open may go against the great work Choice has done campaigning for better button battery safety both in packaging and devices.

Making button battery packaging easier to open, may also make such packaging easier for young children to open exposing them to potential severe health consequences it death should the battery be swallowed.

I would rather button batteries to be challenging to open, knowing that it provides protection to young children.

2 Likes

If anyone was looking for the next excuse to visit the Bunnings tool shop, this must be it :slight_smile: it’s now on my list. I have no specific problems with my hands (they have been described as ‘brutish’) - but plastic packaging in general, seriously, it is nothing short of the work of the devil and I have suffered minor injury navigating it’s packagingness. Elderly family members describe it as ‘impossible’, well, one doesn’t need to be elderly or have a condition to experience utter frustration at this kind of packaging … The Fiskars also seem to be a safer and more environmentally friendly solution than fire or artillery :wink:

4 Likes

There is great satisfaction with fire and artillery. Though my personal preference is Naval gun support being ex Navy.

1 Like

I’d rather a choice. However I had lots of button batteries in our home when our child was an infant, now 15, and I kept him safe.

2 Likes

I think those fiskars will be the go for me, I need some scissors anyway.

2 Likes