How to buy the right mattress topper for a good night's sleep

Mattress toppers might be able to improve the comfort of your bed, and depending on the type, they can come with a number of pros and cons. We sort through the things you should consider when buying a mattress topper.

Do you use a mattress topper? Let us know your experience below.

6 Likes

I have a 50mm medium density latex topper in a washable bamboo cover, with a wool underlay on top of that.
I didn’t want a memory foam topper after staying in a hotel that had new mattresses with “soft cloud” toppers or some such thing. It got headaches and neck problems

I’m very happy with my latex topper. It’s comfortable without being too soft.

4 Likes

Did we miss one more type of topper?
Cheap, cheerful and possibly not the best option, there are options which appear to be no more than a sheet of light weight foam rubber. Flat one side with a moulded profile (various shapes) on the other.

EG

Not a memory foam or with any other special properties. Not one of the five types mentioned in the choice review and typically an uncovered sheet of foam.

Toppers come in five main categories: woollen, memory foam, latex, feather and down, and polyester.

2 Likes

Makin Bellissimo toppers also come with inner micro springs and are very comfortable.

1 Like

We have read your article on mattress toppers, but it doesn’t mention brands to buy for someone in my situation. Older man with arthritis in the hip.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Reg

I moved your post into this existing topic that might be interesting for you if you have not seen it.

Your query is close to home for many of us, especially as we age. Unfortunately what is best for one may be pretty ordinary for another because of our human structural and muscular differences, and notwithstanding ‘comfort’ is a very personal concept.

Perhaps a member might add their personal experience, that might or might not apply to anyone else?

2 Likes

Rather than a mattress topper, Mr Z used a pillow to prop up his hip, and the Physio suggested a pillow between the knees when on his side.

He has since had a hip replacement which solved most of his discomfort in bed issues.

3 Likes