Mattress bought on store recommendation

Buying a mattress can be a very difficult and challenging process. Usually testing the mattress in store is only for a few minutes to try and gauge whether the mattress is comfortable. In reality, one spends about ¼ to ⅓ of their live on a mattress. Comfort is important but often can’t be ascertained in a in store test.

I feel for you and think that you may have run out of luck with Forty Winks. The reason I say this is you bought the mattress based on what you tested in store. You appear to have accepted the softness of the one on display as being acceptable and why you ordered.

On receipt of a new mattress from their warehouse, you found it harder than the one in store (possibly because it has been soften by being broken in by customer’s testing the mattress). Forty Winks then replaced the delivered mattress with the display one you tried in store, but then you also found after lying on it for a number of hours, it wasn’t comfortable.

Based in this, I am unsure whether your complaint will progress much further as Forty Winks has tried to resolve your problem by providing you with the mattress you tried in store as at the time of purchase it was seen as being acceptable. On this basis, the complaint could be seen as a change in mind.

I fully appreciate that Forty Winks has some fancy matching system…but this is irrelevant as you tested the mattress in store and found it acceptable enough to purchase. If it was found to be hard in the test, there was the opportunity not to proceed with the purchase but try other mattresses or take your business elsewhere.

What you have highlighted is the inability to adequately test a mattress for comfort in a short period in store. This in effect is something you are challenging as being unacceptable. Whist I agree that current methods for buying mattresses isn’t satisfactory, I don’t know a good solution.

It would be great if a store could loan a mattress, say for a month, to test it before purchase. Or being able to exchange mattresses until one is found that is comfortable. Both are problematic as it would mean that there could be a large number of mattresses which float between homes costing the business more (and costs will be passed onto the consumer). Some would also not like loans/exchanges as there are many who don’t want to buy something which has been used by others.

I wish you all the best on pursuing your complaints and hope you do get a satisfactory resolution.

If there is no further resolution, maybe try a mattress topper to see if this improves comfort, This unfortunately comes at an additional expense and may or may not provide you with a perfect result:

Edit: I see that you posted a email from Forty Winks just before the above post. I hope that Forty Winks has a mattress which is suitable for you. If they don’t or the replacement mattress is still not what you find comfortable after a number of hours/sleeps, possibly look at getting a mattress topper.

1 Like