Help with Temu

Good Morning “Choicers”,
I bought one thing from Temu as it was really discounted and with free delivery on your first purchase. Since then I saw the article on the news about how much data they actually get from you, that you don’t know about (or what they do with it) and I cancelled my account and unsubscribed, receiving a reply saying I had seven days for that to become effective. The time period passed and now I’m getting more emails from them for sales etc. I went to thier page to write them and the only option I got was to speak to one of those stupid e-bots and it kept switching to different “people” who then offered me free delivery or discounted items, “for my inconvenience”. I know accepting any of that will put me down the same rabbit hole plus I don’t want anything more from them. I did report the issue to google as well. Does anyone know how I can get rid of this annoying companies correspondence please?
Thankyou.

4 Likes

Blacklist their email. The method will depend on how you view emails.

5 Likes

Most of these companies ‘preset’ their mailing lists for weeks and sometimes months ahead. The first suggestion is to wait a bit longer, at least multiple weeks. A more permanent suggestion to stop receiving their spam (not them sending you spam) is to make a filter in your email client to just delete anything incoming from temu.

Unfortunately companies such as temu appear to make substantial income from compiling and selling marketing information so customers are often prone to getting spam from a wide range of sources that sometimes are legitimate and can be unsubscribed from, but often an unsubscribe only verifies your real email address. One cannot always tell the former from the latter, but each can be added to a delete filter.

Some examples of setting filters (aka rules) are

or Thunderbird

or yahoo

or outlook

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure there’s an ‘unsubscribe’ option at the bottom of their emails. May not be that easy to see…
I’ve only made one purchase from them as a bit of a test, and I’m not getting any more emails from them. It might take a couple of days to take effect, but I also didn’t get any noticeable increase in spam afterwards either.

7 Likes

Thankyou Phil for all those things for me to check out, I’ll read them and see which one would work for me. Have a nice day.

5 Likes

Hi Shazz,
Yes I unsubscribed but will wait longer to see if it hits home. You’re lucky you’re not being bombed with emails from them, so hopefully time may also sort my issue. Thanks.

4 Likes

There will be an unsubscribe option at the bottom of the emails. This website provides information on how to unsubscribe from Temu emails:

Using filters should be done as a last resort as is an unacceptable/unsatisfactory long term solution - it is likely that emails will start bypassing the filters or your junk box becomes full of emails which can otherwise be easily stopped (if you set the filter to automatically delete, there is a risk that emails you may wish to receive may be accidentially deleted). Filters are best for those spam emails which are true spam emails - those which are unsolicited and not subscribed to (emails from Nigerian princes, sexual disfunction or weight loss emails etc).

Any businesses operating in Australia which send regular emails must provide options to unsubscribe. These options must be simple and easily actioned by the email receivers.

As Temu operates in Australia and is bound by Australian laws, it provides an unsubscribe option to its emails. It is suggested that these are used to unsubscribe from its regular marketing’ emails.

It can take a number of days for unsubscribe action to fully work. Temu may send an email confirming the unsubscription and when emails will likely cease (we did one yesterday for a different business which indicated that after 7 days emails should cease). If they continue to send emails after the date they indicate they should cease, they can be reported to ACMA and action can be taken against them if they have breached Australian Law.

4 Likes

Thankyou and yes I did unsubscribe from them. I also received an email saying it would take seven days for it to come into effect. It’s been ten days which is why I reached out to you all. I will give it another week and if it continues I will contact the ACMA. As always, I’m grateful for your time.

6 Likes

Check what emails you have unsubscribed to. There is a loophole in the Spam legislation. This being, when you say start an account with a business like Temu, you agree to a range of email correspondence. This might be daily offers/promotions, special member offers/promotions, newsletters, account notifications, purchase notifications and the list goes on.

When a business sends one type of email, say special member offers, when one clicks unsubscribe at the bottom of the special member offer email, it may only removes one from the special member offer email list and not the others. It means in effect you still continue to agree to accept other emails other than special member offers. One needs to hit unsubscribe from each email type to get removed from every email list (this is the loophole).

It is worth noting that if one had an active account, unfortunately you have cancelled yours, many businesses allow each email/communication type to managed (or subscribed/unsubscribed) from within the account settings when logged in. I don’t use Temu so don’t know if they have communication selections like this available through account settings.

I think the Spam Act could be tightened so that if one clicks on unsubscribe, one is automatically unsubscribed from every marketing email list the business has~. The only communications one should receive, if an account is active, are critical notifications about the account (e.g. notifications about purchases, changes to T&Cs and such like). If the account is inactive or closed/cancelled, then the unsubscribe should remove an individual from every email list of a business.

It might be worth continuing to hit unsubscribe to any email received from Temu, in hope that eventually you unsubscribe from all their different email lists. If they persist after the time they specify, then report them to ACMA. If they don’t stop sending emails, it is important to report them as you won’t be the online one receiving unwanted and unsubscribed emails from them.

~ I have noticed some businesses allow one to unsubscribe from each different marketing email list through the clicking of unsubscribe on any of their emails. A list of their different email communications are presented in the process of unsubscribing - a consumer can select additional lists to be also unsubscribed from.

3 Likes

Oh Good Grief,
I totally agree that the spam act needs changing based on what you just told me. I know companies don’t have something called a conscience but when someone pleads with them to be left alone, after following thier prompts to unsubscribe and get rid of the account, then they should do just that. It’s SO frustrating for someone like me who knows nothing of the loopholes these places are using to frustrate and annoy. Lucky I have my “Choicers” who are very educated and knowledgeable and who kindly take time to help people like me. :pray: Once again, thankyou.

7 Likes

For people who use Apple computers and who therefore have access to the Apple iCloud, there is a “Hide My Email” feature wherein you can create a iCloud email address that forwards any emails received at that address to your normal email inbox. However, whenever you want to, you can just delete that iCloud email address and any future emails that get addressed to that iCloud email address just disappear. You can create a new “Hide My Email” address every time that you are asked online for your email address. The box that allows you to do that just pops up automatically.

More and more, I am using that feature because I have no idea what happens with my email address when I buy something from someone online. For example, in the fine print on vendors’ or other online entities’ websites, they will often say that they will share your info with their “partners” which just means to me that they will sell your emails address and other details to any marketing organisation which wants to pay for them.

When I recently bought something from Temu for the first time, I had no idea who they were until I Googled them and understood a bit more about them but, nonetheless, I used a “Hide My Email” address and if it happens that I start receiving unwanted emails to that address, I shall just delete it and the problem will go away.

Some online entities are awake to this such I have had some difficulty in opening a Facebook Account with such an iCloud address but nonetheless, it works nearly all the time, otherwise.

I don’t know if non Apple cloud networks offer a similar feature but it is a damn good one to use, in my experience.

7 Likes

Mine stopped doing that reliably, with iOS17. But I can still do it manually. I really need to track down the issue, whatever it is, because $5 a month for iCloud+: storage of photos (I used to use Photostream) plus Hide My Email is really worth it

3 Likes

Pachy, be very careful with “unsubscribe” links in emails. Unless you trust the senders. The problem is, scammers sometimes use fake emails with a phony “unsubscribe” link at the bottom. Click on the link, and you could land on a scam website or end up with spyware or another type of malware, on your device.
The safest is to use the tools in your email program to label the message as “spam” &/or creating a “filter” which will delete the spam emails automatically when it lands in your Inbox.

1 Like

Oh Good Grief,
Another way scammers can scam you, it’s never ending and very scary. Thankyou for filling me in on this, I appreciate it. I’ve learned so much from all you wonderful “Choicers”. Have a great day.:blush:

Just an FYI. Every time you buy something, it seems the emails begin again. I have successfully unsubscribed each time.

1 Like

In the purchase process is there some question that says “I want to receive advertising material” that defaults to “Yes”, that you could change to “no”?

1 Like

I’ve never noticed it. If there is, its well hidden :slight_smile:

Thankyou to all who sent instructions on how I could get rid of Temu. Based on the fact that some of the instructions were above my pay grade, I waited and the emails have stopped appearing in my emails. I still get pop up ads on the tablet but I just hit the bin icon and they disappear. Have a great day “Choicers”.:blush:

2 Likes

That’s a great tip! Thanks! Do you happen to know if it works with apps other than Apple Mail, Safari etc? i.e. I use the Gmail app and Chrome rather than Mail and Safari.

I have no idea whether it works with non-apple mail apps. However, their info page may help…

Anyway, it will cost you nothing to try it out to see.