Has the coronavirus had an impact on your internet performance?

Definetely not at our place as the Telstra signal is almost unusable in the rear of our house and weak at the front.

However, work is presently being carried out at the new Telstra cell site beside our local shopping centre which was erected quite sometime ago but did not improve our mobile reception at home.

As we do not have 5G capable mobiles, I was wondering whether it was a new 5G only site or it was still not operational.

I don’t know whether the extra array of antennas below the original array is to provide both 5G and 4G or they were carrying out fireproofing against the brainless anti-vaxxer idiots.

Hi @hitspacebar.
A download speed of less than 1Mbps?
Something is seriously amiss, either with your NBN connection or at your home. Your result is so far from the norm for a fixed line service from the NBN.

Have you had an opportunity to call your RSP tech support about your service problems? If so would you like to share which RSP you use and what they had to say?

P.S.
What were the speed results from earlier on after you first changed over to the NBN. Assume you have had a moment to consider,

4 Likes

Yes the 4g on my phone was much better.

3 Likes

I’m on IInet and we did lots of troubleshooting a little over a year ago when we first connected to the NBN.

Around half an hour after that bad reading, things had improved and it hit 12.2Mbps. Tonight as I write this, it has reached 30.15Mbps. It is affected by usage by others in the neighbourhood.

4 Likes

No slower here, getting 93 & 5, but NOT NBN
I am dreading NBN, as I have to pay more to get slower speeds than now. It’s here, but I’m putting it off till the last moment.

1 Like

Getting constant dropouts at Point Lonsdale Vic.

Two more results over the past week…3 days apart…

No significant difference from the previous result on the 1 April 2020.

2 Likes

Jindalee suburb SW Brisbane TPG HFC very stable at 48/10. Upload may vary a bit more than download.

3 Likes

Cooma NSW - mobile internet with Virgin through Optus. Much slower at peak times, and doesn’t like Zoom!

It slowed right down for a couple of days - just when lots of people started working from home and ACT students were asked to stay at home if possible. Some web pages wouldn’t open or only opened after a long delay. However it improved again quickly and is almost back to normal now. I am on Transact cable broadband with iinet rather than on the NBN. Looks like iinet boosted capacity when the usage went up.

2 Likes

31 posts were merged into an existing topic: NBN fixed wireless

Hi, as an update I have changed provider to Belong and my speed has increased and the dropout have been less frequent.

2 Likes

Australian researchers have developed the world’s fastest internet speed.

And it is compatible with the NBN.

Which bit, (or bytes)?
The NBN CVC Pricing model!:rofl:

Exetel FTTN. Even accessing its own server, pretty woeful for a 50/20 plan.

1 Like

I don’t think so. They may have the fastest bit of fibre and transfer chips at each end but that is a laboratory curiosity not the internet. This tech may some day make internet access faster but that is not making it the world’s fastest internet speed now. Journalists say silly things and they get reported verbatim as if they had added meaning.

3 Likes

I forgot about the reboot solution. No VDSL2 modem is exempt from degradation of speeds over time… silly me! Cannot blameExetel for my memory lapses!

5 Likes

Perhaps it is indicative that this link now gives 404. :slight_smile:

While later replies are rightly sceptical that this has anything to do with your and my internet connection, it may be useful for internet backhaul and backbone - which may in turn improve actual end-user speeds.

Crikey! Any way of having it reboot automatically overnight every so many days?

2 Likes

Maybe i will just have to set a reminder for a reboot once a week

1 Like

If you can tolerate a 15 minute outage overnight, put the device on one of those mechanical timers like this and just have it go off for 15 minutes overnight. Edit: that’s a twin pack - you only need one - but you get the idea.

4 Likes