Has anyone heard about Code Trader?

As individuals we are free to act the way we like. As posters in the community we ought to not advocate anything which might result in personal/ financial risk/loss.
All of the advice on security is not to engage with scammers. We have learned recently how even our voice can be replicated and used to convince a financial or other institution that it is us they are dealing with.

@Pachy has started a topic here about the unpleasant experience with scammers as a warning to others.
None of us should feel that we are cleverer than they, keeping in mind that they are skilled professional thieves…

2 Likes

Hi again Scott,
Do I click on the link in the blue that I’ve opened on my tablet or on my phone?
Thanks.

1 Like

This might help @Pachy? On your tablet just tap on the link and it will open to the full article.

3 Likes

Hi again, as Gaby suggested, and I agree, probably best to open the link on your tablet so that you can refer to that as you make any necessary setting changes on your phone.

3 Likes

There are some in this community who would disagree with that. And offer advice on security issues. As does Choice in various articles.

So speak for yourself. I consider myself well on top of the scammers out there.

For your sake I certainly hope you are, but how can you be sure that they are not making a voice print while you’re chatting away.

2 Likes

Again thankyou to Gaby and Scott. I did as you suggested on my tablet and when it opened it said it was not compatible with my phone :frowning:.
Never mind, I’ll just keep not answering the phone and then block the number. All my fault I shouldn’t have gone to look what it was about in the first place.
I do appreciate all of your advice people.:blush:

4 Likes

Don’t blame yourself @Pachy, you did well not following up with them. They are insisting because they think they can reel you in but will desist in time when they can see it’s of no use and will leave you alone, hopefully soon :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

And so what if they are? There is nothing where I indentify via voice. Every time you call a call center they say they will record for “training purposes”. Are you worried about that? Those recordings could be leaked.

I think that issue about recording voices is a just a silly beat up.

Thankyou for your kind words Gaby. The fact that I didn’t grow up with a mobile or computer doesn’t really make me feel better for being somewhat stupid looking up the website that I thought was probably too good to be true. I’ll show my age here. My family had one of those phones that had the numbers you dialed by putting your finger in the number on the dial at the front and you spun it to the right and let it go. Then repeat for all the numbers you want to dial (you may be too young to know what I’m talking about, lol).
However this experience has educated me about things I don’t know, so that’s not all bad.
Much appreciated Gaby.

6 Likes

Technology change has asked much of consumers.
Rotary dial phones, assuming one was well off and could afford a home phone existed well into the 90’s. Most in our street in the 1960’s did not have a phone at home. Obvious due to the loud bell ring of incoming calls unanswered the homes that did. Most relied on the phone box on the street corner, or a telegram in special instances. The desire to go back to those days and a different way of being connected is somewhat challenged by the far lower cost of phoning home today. It used to be around $2 for a 3 minute call between Sydney and Brisbane at the phone box. More from the home phone with an added cost if the call required an operator to connect! Consider a pint (450ml) of milk back then was under 20c home delivered for relative value.

Today the burden of staying safe on line is about continually being vigilant in avoiding risks of loosing small or large sums. Back when, the greatest risk seemed to be feeding $2 into the corner phone only to find it gobbled them up without completing the call. Sometimes the ‘B’ button did not do as demanded in returning the unused coin, often due to misadventure within the mechanism. A faster way to loose your money than in any 5c one armed bandit in a NSW leagues club. The ways both the pokies and Telstra now more creatively take our money have evolved. So have the scammers. /dream ends.

3 Likes

Hey markm,
The corner phone box. You just reminded me of the early 70’s when my mother and us kids would go down to the phone box for my mum to phone her mum. If memory serves me, my mum would call the operator who would take the phone number in England and then my mum would hang up. When the phone rang it would be the operator telling my mum she was connected. Good grief phone technology has come a long way.
It’s a shame that all the wonderful technology we have now can be marred by scams.
That’s life though and technology definitely did introduce us to scams, they’ve been around for a very long time! I think technology has made it easier for scammers.

1 Like

There could be one problem with this. Richard may not know anything about the advertisement.