Freestanding oven reviews

I got an Ilve 90cm Nostalgie series 2 years ago, absolutely love it, gas top, electric oven, never had a problem

1 Like

@adrianna.cooper. I’ve been eyeing off a Belling - wondered how you go with dust gathering and spills that may fall down the back of the unit from the rear of the cooktop? The one I’m interested in (which would fit better in our kitchen) is: Sterling 90cm dual fuel.

@narelle Thanks Narelle. I’ve just googled - its a nice looking oven! I’m really pleased that I’m getting some feedback on various brands/models - there just isn’t a lot of reviews out there.

1 Like

Sounds like its definitely worth the money getting a multi-oven.

I would say go the ilve without a doubt. I had a dual fuel (gas top, electric oven) and it was excellent! I had two ovens, a larger on the left and smaller on the right. The smaller had a rotisserie function. Having the one big and one small oven meant you didn’t have to keep powering one huge oven so was much more economical.

When I had a small cook I just used the small oven. The cooktop had four standard (round) burners and the fifth middle burner a long “fish burner” with a teppanyaki top which cooked prawns, small cuts of meat etc superbly. You can buy all types of tops for the middle burner e.g. bbq grill.

They are expensive but mine was worth every cent. A real workhorse. I think it took four men to deliver and put it in. The other plus of having a freestanding is if you sell your property you can say it is not an inclusion and take it with you to the next place. Although generally an ilve will sell a house :smile:

1 Like

Aren’t ilve the best! I miss mine so much. I was lucky to get mine nearly half price.

@rvitek Wow! That’s such a great read. Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. Only one or two negative responses and a few really positive responses… and so I’m feeling more confident now.

Have to start convincing hubbie (and saving some more $) - big question, still not sure which brand to go for? :slight_smile:

Yep, i’d agree, save up and get a decent oven, my theory was, it will last me 20 or more years, it might as well be good. I have a family of 4 so the single 90cm oven has never felt a waste of space. And it’s such a nice oven to look at :blush:

That’s good advice. For us it will require a slight modification of kitchen - our home is only 18mths old and I wish I had thought of it when we built - it is the first time we’ve had a 90cm oven and its such a waste baking in it for only four people and then for larger crowds its a juggle of pulling dishes in and out depending on times required and temps… We currently have under bench with a built in gas cooktop on top… so we would have to have our stone top cut and shaped and ensure the area would fit the freestanding… lots of consider but I really feel it will all be so worth it.

Apologies for any frustration we have caused @SueW. I’m happy to help you navigate the review and will send you a private message to discuss.

In answer to your questions and for anyone else experiencing the same difficulty, the filters on the left-hand side should help navigate some of these issues. You can choose to filter between gas and electric, and you can also filter by brand. Their are two models from Chef in the current review. We appreciate the feedback and we’ll see if we can make this easier for you in the future.

2 Likes

Yes, I did. I have a Chef at the moment which is why I went looking, but in the end decided I wanted one that was no deeper than the width of the space available for it, and the Chef models are too deep by about 3cm. Haier make a nice basic one, but its gas with an electric grill (hence seeking quotes).

I need one thats 900 tall, 600 deep and 540 wide. You’d think there would be a few but I have only found two, and both require an electric connection :frowning:

So… I’m back to doing nothing. I can make do with what I have, I just didnt want to.

3 Likes

There are. But they are both electric and I need gas. space limited as I said, the reviews dont cover it. Theres always productreview.com.au :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Apologies that gas Chef models you were considering were not inlcuded, I’ll flag that for consideration with our product testers.

There’s a filter on the side that will allow you to browse via dimension. The review also includes the ability to perform side-by-side comparison based on width, depth and height along with the internal dimensions for each oven. Please let me know if there is something that we have missed on this front.

3 Likes

It’s worth checking further on actual dimensions as the total depth dimension may include the distance the handles at the front protrude.

Our Westinghouse is 54cm x 60cm deep plus an extra 4cm at the front which is simply the distance the controls and handles stick out.

60cm is the common bench top depth for most appliances. Some manufacturers may quote the total appliance width, or just the nominal bench width it is intended for.

There is at least one Westinghouse model available that requires no electricity connection, and several that require a single 240v GPO for fan forced, oven light etc.

As I read the manual for this and several others they are gas cook top, gas grill and gas oven. Available as NG or LPG.

3 Likes

I’ll keep all that in mind, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

From the dimensions in the manuals it would appear the 635mm depth is not inclusive of the handles.

3 Likes

Perhaps?

The Westinghouse. WLG503WBLP in the PDF manuals is listed as having a total depth of 620mm.

I measured ours which is the previous model Westinghouse, which is 600mm or 60cm over the body. I guess the only way to be sure is to measure one in store?

It’s the same for our older Chef. The stove top complete with back plate measures 60cm which aligns with the bench top. The front mounted burner controls and handles for grill/oven protrude a further approx 4cm forward of the oven body.

1 Like

This is exactly the reason I am looking for something smaller, and its an old Chef (its been in the house for at least 18 years). The Westinghouse you mention above is also taller than I want. It cant be any taller than 900mm. If I was not on a pension, and had a steady income as I did when nursing, I would probably make some attempt at a kitchen remodel. But I am, and I dont, and I can’t.

These are the four models AO have which will fit the space.

But, as I said to @BrendanMays, I have, for now, decided to make do with what I have. At least 3 of the burners work, and so does the grill. What actually started this whole thing off was my Netatmo telling me that the levels of CO2 were over 2000ppm when I am cooking, so I stopped using the gas. There are many alternatives, up to and including not having a stove at all.

3 Likes

Don’t panic. It’s up to each of us to make our decisions on what is safe.

Just to note for others for CO2 the TWA is 5,000ppm and the STL is 30,000ppm. The TWA is a measure based on the accumulated exposure over 8hrs.

More typically the greatest health risks of combustion in a room arise from carbon monoxide (CO), which has a TWA of just 30ppm. There is no defined higher safe short term exposure limit for CO, (refer workplace standards).

Carbon Monoxide monitors with alarms are readily available alongside the smoke detectors in the local hardware or safety warehouses.

2 Likes

It sounds like the stove needs a service?
The burners include a central gas jet/nozzle that over time often becomes blocked or restricted.

P.s.
I don’t understand the concern re the height. If 900mm is your nominal bench or stove top height. The stove top (hob) needs to be higher than the adjacent bench tops for a freestanding model, see below. The Westinghouse models are designed to that height. The total height is a measurement of the back plate which includes the oven vent. Per the AS (code) your kitchen should have a 600mm or 750mm clear height above the top of the stove burner platform (hob)? A compliant stove space should not prevent the use of a product with a raised fixed rear panel or splash plate taller than 600mm. Perhaps your kitchen is different in some uncommon way?

https://esv.vic.gov.au/gas-technical-information-sheets/25-domestic-gas-cooking-appliance-clearances/

1 Like