Freestanding oven reviews

The house (and kitchen) were built on the cheap. The building company went out of business soon after it build a bazillion samesame houses in this area. Boxes made of tickytacky. Even the door to the laundry is not a standard size, its about 10cm narrower. One coat of paint throughout. Carpet glued to the slab, and no underlay. dead cheap carpet, at that. Driveway and garage over a sewer line (you know, the BIG ones with manhole covers) and being as hoiw we are on clay… it moves and cracks. Hate to think of the general condition of the slab, because you can bet they didnt wait til it finished curing before building the house.

Seems that there are a number of standard sizes for freestanding stoves… 54cm, 60cm, 90cm etc. So you’d think that the area into which a stove might be placed would be maybe 56cm or so, 62 etc. Enough for a bit of wiggle room at the side. not here. I have 58cm. the gap between stove and cupboard is too wide. on one side, the bench top overhangs by about 1cm. It looks as if it was supposed to be placed at an end. I have another bottom cupboard where that end would have been appropriate… but it doesnt have any overhang at all.

I just cant tell you how much I hate this house, but I am not in a financial position to make massive changes including selling and moving. I would not get enough from a sale to buy anywhere else in this town apart from maybe a caravan park. And living only on an age pension with no other income is self limiting in itself. I’m lucky though… I could be stuck in private rental.

I’ll get someone in to look at the stove to repair that remaining burner (it lights, but only half) and do something about the timber blocks the previous owner (and maybe the builder) used to prop the stove up so it would be at least close in height to the benchtops (and BTW I dont want it any higher, so those big Westinghouse stoves would not even be on my radar),

No more grumbling from me. I’ve made my decision and will wear the consequences.

3 Likes

Just as a thought if you are happy with your oven and only need two hobs, you could buy either a dual hob or two single hob portable induction cookers. Then place a covering board eg plywood over your stove top and place the induction cooker/s on that.

Following link is to list of Induction portables at Appliances Online

This next one needs 15 amp power point so may not be suitable

4 Likes

Looked at induction before I began hunting for a replacement for the cooker. Decided not to go with that, because the two-hob needs a 15amp plug, and one wont be enough. I think two running at once would probably see my electrics shut down :slight_smile:

I actually dont mine my portable electric dual hotplates, bought them years and years ago (maybe 20-22) and they are still good. I get better fine control with those, than with the gas. Mind you, even though I have had gas all these years, I really dont like it.

I occurs to me that I could get rid of the freestanding cooker entirely, put something else (cupboard, drawers) in its place, somewhere to store the slow cooker and the coffee maker as well as any future electric components. But thats all for another thread :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The Eurochef one needs 15amp too.

Theres a 2 hob ceramic infrared cooktop as well, but Kogan doesnt have them anymore. They do have the single hob version but its awfully chunky. Might get that ceramic one :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have an Ariston 80cm dual fuel freestanding stove that’s almost 5 years old. It’s been good in that there’s plenty of room inside and on top to prepare a huge meal.

Because laboratory testing can’t always pick up inherent problems the following might be of interest:

In the first year we had the oven door seal replaced twice without hassles under warranty. I could see that heat transferred from the clips softened the rubber around the clips. So the clips would not hold and the rubber dropped out of place. When the seal failed a 3rd time. rather than replace it, I made clips using bailing wire which together with the seal, have survived for 3 years.

One of the two upper elements failed and sagged almost from new. Over the next 4 years it sagged more until it blocked access to the top shelf. It’s was replaced under warranty.

In the 3 times we needed it, we were impressed by the prompt response to our request for a replacement under warranty.

3 Likes

I cannot recommend Euromaid under any circumstances. I have had them installed in 3 rental properties and the elements have failed within 6 months to 2 years on all of them. The electrician said there is a design flaw that causes a plastic clip to fail on the elements. Euromaid fought hard not to replace anything under the 12 month warranty. They might be cheap, but not if they only last 2 years.

6 Likes

We have this model - Westinghouse WFE647SA https://www.choice.com.au/products/home-and-living/kitchen/ovens/westinghouse-wfe647sa, this model is shown in this review!
I can definitely recommend it.
It has a modern style (this is important for us) and cool functions. I love to use a cast iron wok in cooking, and this oven does a great job with it. If you are looking for an oven with a perfect surface for woks - it’s one of the best variants!

3 Likes

Hi.
Just wondering why when you test freestanding ovens you don’t include ovens and cooktops that are both gas.
They are usually gas tops and electric ovens, which was the case in the last test of freestanding ovens.
Thanks Mari

Welcome to the Community @mari

Choice selects products to test based on sales volume amongst other criteria, vis a vis budgets. With enough demand perhaps they would add some gas models but the vast majority of ovens are apparently electric regardless of whether stand alone or integrated.

One driver is the steady migration to all electric everything with solar panels as being the most economical and environmentally friendly overall.

2 Likes

When Choice reviewed free standing ovens with cooktops in January 2021 there was only one 60cm electric oven with induction cooktop: Boch HLS79R350A at $4199. This is a steep price for small kitchens and people replacing an existing 60cm or 54cm stove wanting an induction cooktop. With recently published information about toxic gas air pollution in the home and increasing gas prices leading to people wanting to get off gas, further options will be welcomed.

Available now are the Belling Freestanding 60cm Electric Double Freestanding Oven With Induction Hob Cooktop $2499 (at Harvey Norman currently) and the Artusi 60cm Freestanding Induction Oven/Stove AFI607X
$1,966 (at Online Direct). But how do their features, quality and safety compare?

Many would be glad if Choice reviewed these now available models to enable an informed choice.

The Bosch is listed at $3248 at Appliances Online. Choice often cites the RRP and products can often be purchased for less. Still not cheap, but keep perspective when shopping. I have also seen many products at higher prices than that shown in a review.

2 Likes

One could also incur added costs if one is converting from natural gas or LPG to electric. Many older properties will have a freestanding gas stove with gas oven.

There will likely be a substantial cost for electricians to install the new appliance and a dedicated stove circuit to suit. The practicality of doing so may be limited depending on access and type of home construction.

In freestanding 54/60cm stoves there are all electric options (not induction) from under $1000, (Appliancesonline). Replacement all gas appliances are similarly priced. Available in natural gas or LPG.

For households using gas for hot water and optionally heating the conversion costs need to factor in the other appliances.

For those seeking to go all electric, it may be useful if Choice looked at the cost of complete packages using recommended “value” products. This could include typical electrical and plumbing costs. Note some states/territories may have rebate schemes available to lessen the cost.

1 Like