Freestanding oven reviews

Hi Albie. We’d be looking for dual fuel (gas), but what we really want to know is how these dual/multi-oven freestanding ovens go? Freestanding ovens with two or three oven cavities (side by side) within the unit - ie. the DeLonghi has a 68L and 38L side-by-side wtihin the whole oven unit.
Are you able to advise if there has been feedback on these?

`Sorry @harbertsofoz I can’t help with that. Hopefully someone else may be able to assist. Quote from Choice below on freestanding cookers

“Response from CHOICE
Chris Barnes, Product Content & Testing
9 September 2016
We haven’t regularly tested freestanding cookers (oven + cooktop) as they actually make up a minority of sales these days compared to separate ovens and cooktops. However we are planning a review of freestanding electric cookers soon, due to go on our website in February 2017.”

My sister had a free standing De Longhi dual fuel and it worked well when new but when faults developed she had a terrible time with getting it serviced. One fault was the clock/oven controller system and in the end she gave up trying to get that fixed. This was some years ago but she has sworn off them forever.

Thanks @grahroll… Not a good experience for your sister! These are expensive appliances and for what we pay it is not unreasonable at all to expect that they work, or at least, can be repaired first time around.

Thanks @Albie. These particular styles of freestanding cookers will attract a certain market currently, but feel confident that the idea of a large and a small oven will draw interest. We don’t have capacity for wall ovens (double wall ovens) and obviously to remodel our kitchen would be $$$ We currently have a 90cm gas cooktop and 90cm oven. Running the oven for two people most of the time is too expensive (one dish)… At times when we want to entertain, its a juggle when multiple dishes require different oven temps and baking times… Will definitely be looking for one of these multi-oven units, but find the research is limited as this type of oven is not well advertised currently.

Np @harbertsofoz the best results I was able to get was to search for “freestanding double ovens” (if you use multi you’ll get a lot of single ovens but cooktop is gas, oven electric) and then look under images (if you use chrome). I’m sure other browsers have similar functionality. Whirlpool, Smeg etc manufacture them.

You can always request a test under the main menu but no guarantees there! Best of luck.

HI Albie - trying to find the link to request a test (worth giving it a try). It is on this site?
Thanks again for your guidance.

@harbertsofoz it’s on the Choice.com.au website.

Yes there is a request a test forum on this site https://choice.community/c/request-a-test

stay well clear of technika - had nothing but trouble with our oven over a period of 3 years now.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Leslie- I’m sorry that you’ve had problems with your oven. Its such an expensive purchase and that’s why I am trying to gather feedback and do research. Not a lot of reviews on these types of ovens.

Be careful of multi-ovens within the 90cm width. After using a standard 60cm or 90cm oven you will find the smaller sizes very restricting when entertaining, however convenient it may seem.

Hi @harbertsofoz,

Here is our updated review on freestanding ovens (member content), in case it’s still of interest.

Stay away from Technika in any form. Australian designed and Italian made. Single oven gas interior gas cooktop. Don’t make them anymore. Stainless steel isn’t of the best quality. Gas oven heat line in the oven runs in the middle from front to back instead of along the back wall, this makes it awkward to clean and the heat within the oven tends to be a bit fickle due to this. Bottom of tray tends to burn due to heat coming up from the middle instead of the back. Have a look at productreview.com.au as well. the dial design isn’t crash hot either. have to stand back to see what you are doing with the dial.

Wow - thanks so much for that advice. I’m feeling quite overwhelmed now. Having at 90cm gas cooktop regardless of 1, 2 or a household/entertaining, but using a 90cm/900mm oven for only 1-2 of us is an extensive waste. When we do entertain, its frustrating having to bake various dishes for different lengths of time and temperatures - hence why I’m looking for a side-by-side (double oven).

I have just purchase the Falcon Classic 90 and love it. The burners (all gas) are even and quick. The ovens are lovely. Mine is red and the joy of my kitchen.

@linda.rogers1 - thanks so much for that feedback! There are not many reviews for these types of double ovens (side-by-side) - and they are expensive! I’m looking at dual fuel also (LPG cooktop and electric oven).

I find it frustrating when entertaining to have to bake/cook different dishes for different times and at different temperatures.

Most of the time though it is my husband and I, and our two older teen girls - and that’s it, and so cooking one dish in our 90cm oven is expensive and wasteful. I ended up buying a small bench top oven which takes up space on the bench, space in the cupboard and defeats the purpose of having a large underbench oven.

Choice have just done a review on freestanding ovens - it doesn’t cover these types of ovens though and there may not be the demand to review them.

Thanks @BrendanMays for your reply and providing this. It was good to read - although doesn’t cover the range of ovens that I am looking at - ie. double ovens (side-by-side), dual fuel, freestanding. Thanks again,

1 Like

Hi, my free standing range also has a separate griller which is great. I was also able to prepare well in advance for a dinner party. I could cook the main course in one oven and the veggies and sweet in the smaller oven. I also love the little oven as it cooks quickly and I can roast something or bake a quick small meal made up of little dishes.
The hot plate of that comes with mine is also great. I cooked on it and it cleaned beautifully. Best wishes with your free standing range hunting. I now have my bench space back and am v happy. Pity I cannot add a photo.

Hi I have the Beling 90 cm Richmond and truely love it haven’t been disappointed. But I have the electric induction model and it’s great.