Fragrances and health issues

This is absolutely the case. Those of us who are “atopic” - prone to allergies like hay fever, asthma etc often have fragrance sensitivity. It also comes under the “reactive airways” term.
It’s not just airways though. Some scents cause headaches and nausea due to the various volatile chemicals used. Strong perfumes are a good example. Jet fuel, air fresheners, scented candles, etc also can be triggers. It often relates back to salicylate sensitivity. Salicylates are in fragrances as well as food.

3 Likes

My favourite perfume is one by Lancome, called Poeme.

It is absolutely beautiful and I often receive compliments when I wear it, from both men and women.

I will not wear it when going to the Theatre, or the Cinema or anywhere else where I will be sitting
next to other people, for fear that they may get a headache like I am prone to doing with some fragrances.

I just wish other ladies were as considerate…
Cheers Natalie :wink:

3 Likes

When your young you think you need to wear perfume - just to be in the loop - but when your older you realise they are nothing but a rip off and bad for your skin.
Pam

4 Likes

Wow, you are the angel of a fragrance sufferers dreams (no sarcasm at all !!!).

Re my previous post, and the one re first day of work. So often, neigh, always, it seems up to the person who suffers to alert everyone to their ‘problem’. The ‘problem’ of being affected by overwhelming smells that are (at least in concentration) completely unnatural. So many people douse themselves with enough fragrance to hide a sewerage farm, and think nothing of it … and when someone reacts, they can’t understand it.

Don’t we smell OK as we are? if not, won’t a shower and a reasonable scrub with some unscented soap do the trick?

Thanks for your post. Really nice to know there are considerate people out there …

6 Likes

I’ve long used Mitchum unscented roll on deodorant, but as vax2000 noted, this product is still labelled as unscented but now contains an artificial fragrance given the generic term ‘parfum’ (why not just ‘perfume’?) and is likely to be a phthalate based chemical. These things are variously known and suspected endocrine disruptors (mess with hormones) as well as causing allergic reactions for some people. Seems very dodgy to me that a product is labelled as unscented but now contains an artificial fragrance. Woolworths now have a disclaimer about this product on their website. It reads “The Mitchum Roll On range has implemented a formula change in order to improve performance. This minor formula change includes the addition of a ‘masking agent’ to neutralise scent in the new formula and to ensure that Mitchum Unscented will continue to have no noticeable smell. This neutraliser is listed on the packaging as Parfum (fragrance). If you have any concerns, please contact Revlon customer support on 1800 025 488.” The so-called masking agent has a distinctive scent, whereas the original product was odourless, so I don’t know what this change was made and why this agent is labelled as a fragrance / parfum. I’ve raised the issue with Revlon, on Mitchum’s Fb page, NSW Fair Trading, and Product Safety Australia, as well as two retailers that I’ve bought it from. Will contact Choice directly to see if it can pursue what looks like a clear case of false and misleading labelling.

3 Likes

I good source of info on the wide range of synthetic and poor regulated chemicals commonly found in many household products is freely available here: http://infinity.wecabrio.com/1582437025-slow-death-by-rubber-duck-the-secret-danger-of-ev.pdf

2 Likes

My husband has long used Mitchum unscented gel - and even I started using it because it worked. However, the last two that we bought were so strongly scented that I threw them out. I can tell immediately which he used - the old or the new - now scented. Was a fantastic deodorant - but now, don’t like to be in the same room as someone wearing it. Can tell immediately.Does anyone know a solution to this?

1 Like

The manufacturer reinstated the genuinely unscented roll-on product several months ago but also makes the ‘new formula’ ‘unscented’ product that I believe is falsely described because it clearly is scented (they just call it a ‘masking agent’ and say it was added to cover up the smell of the product). Either way, I think they’ve confused consumers. I reported all of this to the regulators but got nowhere (I don’t think they have the resources to investigate). In theory, you should be able to access the ‘original formula’ gel again but may need to be very careful to differentiate it from the newer product that is scented (with the masking agent). Not all retailers stock both options…

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @jakesmith

@Aditya may have provided an answer if you can discern the old formula from the new from the ‘new older’.

There is a related although dissimilar topic with a few responses relevant to your question.

While not something everyone likes the crystal products (Body Crystal among others) variously come in unscented versions including sticks (that last years), sprays, and roll-ons. Some people are happy with them and find them effective, others not so much. I have used them for decades while some report sensitivity. If one does not shake the spray/roll-on versions before use the solution seems to become concentrated and can irritate as it gets ever more concentrated prior to being used up.

1 Like

It appears that Mitchum no longer retail unscented gel deodorants in Australia. It is worth checking the packaging as the ‘new’ cool fresh lightly scented gel packaging/labelling appears very similar to the previously unscented product. This could easily lead to confusion.

Michum cool fresh lightly scented gel contains parfum as an ingredient to give it a ‘cool fresh’ scent.

Mitchum still retail unscented roll-ons, so it might be worth sniffing these when next shopping. QV also have unscented roll-ons as well. If you are after a stick deodorant, Dove has one. These could also be checked for scents/chemical type smells when shopping. There are also non-mainstream ones available online but these tend to be significantly more expensive.

3 Likes