Food Labels at the shops

Does anyone remember the link so that we can send photos of dodgy price labels? Cannot find the link anywhere.

2 Likes

Is it unit pricing issue?

3 Likes

Thank you!
Not sue what I’ve done with the link.

2 Likes

Once on the page you want to remember use the bookmark tool found by clicking the three dots at the bottom of a post (…). This will place a bookmark in your profile icon (the one on the top right of the page)…your’s is an A in a nice blue circle :-). Whenever you want to return to a page locate the bookmark in your list click it and you will be back at the item you wanted.

3 Likes

You could also share them in a forum post, just use the upload icon that appears at the top of the reply box, immediately to the right side of < / >

3 Likes

Do they look at the forum for things like that?

2 Likes

Clearly some people at Choice look at the forum :slight_smile: However, I was thinking more for forum users’ amusement purposes, in addition to sending it the Choice campaigns.

3 Likes

I emailed them yesterday…

Coles think that we are dumb, clearly. bigger packets are always cheaper per item. Not this time.

5 Likes

The difference could be the fact that they are technically different products. If you compare the two Platinum All In One Lemon tablets (the 18pk and 37pk) you will see that it is cheaper to buy in bulk. The 55pk is technically a different product so technically cannot be compared in the way you imply.

That speaks nothing about whether the 55pk product is realistically any different - this could be the source of such contention.

2 Likes

I had look at the pictures @annaa63 posted, and all except the green coloured packet are Platinum All in One. It may be that they used the same photo for all three, but they may be the same product.

4 Likes

I have seen a number of incidents of the smaller packet being cheaper than the bigger one - thank goodness for Unit Pricing!

Black & Gold tinned beetroot 450g can Vs 1kg. Normal price - 450g is substantially cheaper per kg.

Nescafe ‘Cappuccino’ sachets are cheaper in packets of 10 than 26, even when the 26 is on special. The 10 were $3.66 and the 26 were On Special at $11.67 for This Week Only!!! eg 37c/per sachet Vs 45c. I guess they are trading on people unable to do the mental maths, or read the Unit Price. Unfortunately our little shop is too small to do Unit Pricing, but we are now going to another independent grocer who does Unit Pricing, even though he doesn’t have to. His prices are cheaper too.

3 Likes

ONLY one green packet, the other 3 are same product but different size.

The 2 that I compared only vary in size and of course price… Product is same.

4 Likes

I don’t buy anything in jars nor tins. Started making everything myself a few years ago, slow process but now do it all.

Hummus
Baba ghanoush
Preserved Chili
Salted Chilli
Chilli Sauce Fresh
Chilli Sauce Cooked
Chilli Jam
Citrus Marmalades 6 varieties
Dehydrating spices
Dukkah
Harissa
Antipasti - seasonal
Ounces Paste
Variety of Dips - going seasonal
Pickling for now only Gherkins (sadly cannot processes them, not sure how just yet)

Having trouble fermenting. Need to get a chef during his down time and pick his brain lol

5 Likes

Some supermarket deals are ridiculous… my crappy 2002 model phone was having trouble focusing in the dim light in Coonabarabran Woolies 8 years ago, so I had to miss out the top bit to make it focus. It says at the top:

Buy 2 for

Effectively, they are paying you 59c to take a packet off their hands!

4 Likes

one of my biggest annoyances is when they put old stock as new and start charging you more. The other one is the biggest one. Coles prices are down scam. Now most of the things that I get (bathroom and kitchen) products have ‘prices are down’. to me it means that they will never be reduced and i always have to pay full price.

4 Likes

@annaa63, I see you are looking at the Coles online shopping site. My wife and I recently realised that its prices often fail to match the in-store prices - a lot of the discounts that are available in-store are missing from the online shop*.

*Yes, I am the nerd who slows everyone else’s shopping down by pointing out when the price scanned is higher than the price on the shelf - and then reminding the ill-trained staff member that Coles’ (and Woolworths’) ‘promise on price scanning’ is to give the item for free. This happens more often than you may realise - it happened to me only yesterday.

It is possible that this pricing variance is due to geography; I live in Canberra, and if we order online the products come from Queanbeyan - in NSW. Nevertheless, it has made me chary of doing our grocery shopping online.

If the single price is $2.59, then the price for two is $5.18. The Coles maths is correct, in that if you want two packets you will save $3.18.

In fact, this is a better deal than most - you are paying less than half price for the two - hence your point that you are both getting the second packet and you are paying less than you would for a single packet.

2 Likes

of the prices were same in store… was easier to do a screen grab online otherwise I would have had to take 3 photos and use an app to show them together…

2 Likes

only shopped online after surgery and from a specialty store for fruit/vegies and herbs.

Now I go to farmers markets for eggs/fruit/ vegetables/ herbs and now pate’s and terrines.

Everything is grown locally and sold by the farmers. all questions answered. Requests filled if possible.

Wanted a few products and asked if they grow them … they were supplied the following week.

When I want organic eating butter I get it at the markets. To cook with, Coles will do. Cannot justice cooking with $10 per 250g

1 Like

Did I see a statement from Coles on the TV in the last few days that they would NOW be changing to charging the same price online as in store?

Woolies has always had a statement to this effect on their web pages, but Coles was always silent.

2 Likes

haven’t seen it. Guess there might be a pressure on them.

They don’t offer discounts at express stores.

1 Like