Food Labels at the shops

Have done a quick search and unable to find any announcements from Coles or news articles indicating such. Thought Coles would have had announcements on their website as they have received much negative publicity about such price discrepancies.

However, their website states “The prices on our website may not be the same as prices in your local Coles supermarket or Liquorland store. While we offer most Coles Supermarkets catalogue specials online, all specials may not be available.”

Looks like no to your question.

5 Likes

As long as you are doing it politely, go for it! :slight_smile:

There are plenty of well-trained staff that know their own policies and know that mistakes happen on the shelves and will be glad to give you the product for free - if you are nice. They will be not so glad if one was to bitterly point out how inept they must be for such a mistake to happen, again. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Lately, Coles seems to be playing catch-up with Woolworths. Woolworths is always the first to commit to a new environment-conscious policy, or socially-conscious policy. Coles only agreed to a nation-wide ban of single-use plastic bags because Woolworths did first. I’m surprised they haven’t played catch-up for their online store yet. I wonder if they think their customers who use their online store simply wouldn’t check, or didn’t have much choice anyway? I’m just speculating now

5 Likes

Of course - I realise how over-worked and underpaid these people are, as well as how little control they have over such errors! I do find it frustrating to have to explain the store’s policy to its staff, though.

Which reminds me of an incident about a week ago in the local Coles self-service area. The man at the machine beside me had encountered an error, and was most frustrated. He even tried kicking the machine, but with no obvious effect (they do have kick-bars, so his kicking was totally ineffective).

I hailed the responsible staff member - someone who works there regularly and with whom I was able to joke about this on the way out of the door. She asked how she could help me, and I said that I was fine, “but Mr Grumpypants here appears to be having some problems”.

I think he said something to me after she had fixed his problems, but I shop with headphones on in order to listen to one or another podcast and drown out the muzak - and so unfortunately could not hear a word.

2 Likes

Months ago I requested trolley wipes. to my surprise they made an appearance 2 weeks later. Now for he last month they haven’t had them at the stand near the trolley bay. If you ask at the service register they will give you damn paper towels to wipe down filthy trolley.

I asked yesterday and was told that supplier is out of them. I said it’s been more then 4 weeks and if one supplier doesn’t have them, go to another one.

Winter season, flue season, some people leave handle bars sticky…

they promised to act… not holding my breath.

will talk to the person I approached re wipes when I see him. I want plastic bags but same as I get my herbs placed in at the farmers markets. they biodegrade fast… really soft plastic.

1 Like

Hopefully not creating millions of bits of microplastics in the process!

re-usable kitchen gloves are one option for the supermarket, to avoid grotty trolleys, rather than disposable wipes etc.

5 Likes

so many negative Nancys.

the bag is made from compostable material.

1 Like

I still wouldn’t rely on the marketing hype of compostable bags either. For the bag ro compost, they need to be under special/specific conditions which doesn’t occur anywhere other than a few composting facilities around the country. In the wild, these compostable plastic bags can pose the same problems as the non-compostable varieties.

Compostable/biodegradable bags were also covered in this thread.

and this Choice webpage:

6 Likes

Re scanned prices VS shelf prices.
I am always questioning the prices charged at the checkout as they often don’t agree with my memory of the shelf prices, but I do not do it at the checkout. I go through with the wrong price and then approach the service desk with the receipt and they always know what to do about it.

5 Likes

Why not use a pocket handkerchief?

You may also consider what exactly you intend to do with your hands that is likely to infect you. If you’re not picking your nose or sucking your fingers, then you’re in as much risk of ‘contamination’ as you are given the number of infectious strangers you are passing by (or the apples you pick up that have previously been handled by dozens of strangers).

One needs to balance one’s approach to risks, be they the risk of getting run over or the risk of being infected by a shopping trolley hand-rail. I would suggest that you are probably focussing on the wrong risks if you think the trolley is going to result in serious infection unless you avoid contact with it or sterilise it before use.

3 Likes

Indeed, I’ve never even thought it to be a risk, and never wiped a shopping trolley handle in my life. I do like the bar ends that have appeared on the Woolies trolleys though, much the same as on my MTB :slight_smile: I find them more convenient and better for cornering.

5 Likes

the bag that I mentioned I get from the farmers markets. Organic farmers place herbs for me in the bags so that I don’t kill them with other things that I place on top.

Pretty sure they wouldn’t be getting something that they shouldn’t be,

1 Like

People still think vaccines are harmful or worse than the diseases they prevent. The world isn’t perfect, @annaa63. People still think disposable plastic can be sustainable and they think Organic produce is any different to conventional produce. We’re all learning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Organic produce is better then convectional produce.

The garbage you get at supermarkets spends ages in fridges then when it’s brought out and dumped in supermarkets it goes off fast.

Organic produce from the farmers doesn’t.

the plastic bag I mentioned is not made from plastic… nice try but you failed.

Ah so you mean the only difference is whether you get it from the farm within one week rather than within a few weeks/months? That has nothing to do with any differences between conventional pesticides or Organic pesticides. Nice try, but I didn’t :slight_smile:

Oh and just because it’s made from plants, doesn’t mean it’s not plastic. Just a plastic from a different parent material. Checkmate again :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

25 posts were split to a new topic: Supermarket produce isn’t fresh

A post was merged into an existing topic: Supermarket produce isn’t fresh

WOFTAM!! I sent in two examples, and have never received a reply from Choice, except to say that hey would get back to me! Has never happened…very disappointed!!

Today, 21st June, Coles announced that they would now charge the same prices for home delivery as in the stores.

4 Likes

Coles website has been updated since my previous post to state:

Are website prices same as in store?

Yes, every online item price is the same as in-store. Additional delivery and Click&Collect fees apply

I am not sure what the additional fees will be…only time will tell. Maybe if a communty member orders Coles online and has it delivered/click and collect, they can provide information on the additional fees charged and whether there has been any recent changes.

4 Likes