Faulty TV but problem with demonstrating fault for return

Hi,
Basically I bought a cheap Smart TV from a national dealer in Jan 2022. It was for a spare room, and the feature we most use is the USB function for movies and tutorials.
The TV would either recognize the USB when inserted or only when restarting the TV a few times. Sometimes with fiddling with the USB input it would be recognized. When finally playing audio or movies the vision or audio would skip at times or the TV just shuts down. These are the same USB devices that work effortlessly with our other TV’s.
I rang the dealer for a return and they wanted it the original box, and to be tested for faults before I could get an exchange. I explained that these are random events with the TV and if I can’t demonstrate it, I could not get an exchange.
So, this weekend I bought new USB sticks and the TV recognised them straight away - great, problem solved I thought. I was playing MP3’s on the TV via the USB for about 40 mins and the TV just froze. Had to shut it down again and restart. Never had this problem with a TV before. Videos will shutter or ‘skip’ after some time playing, or freeze as well. All USB’s formatted correctly etc, videos at or lower resolution of the TV, no power issues.
I know I have the right to return as faulty, but the problem is, these issues only come up randomly or over a period of time (30-45 mins) before the fault is evident, so its hard to prove on the spot.
Any advice would be great.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @carterm48

That is a first flag that your dealer is not being genuine and is not adhering to the Australian Consumer Law.

You do not have to return products in the original packaging in order to get a refund.

Random issues are always problematic. Have you considered starting a phone recording of the TV in operation and what you need to do to resolve the USB problem? You might have to do that for longer than you should but it would be evidence.

With that evidence I suggest you write a formal ‘Letter of Complaint’ (search the Community, Choice, and the ACCC web sites) to seek a resolution. It seems like you will need to go formal to get a resolution, and if it is a low cost item the seller might understand he can fob you off with impunity since your costs and effort to take it further than a letter might not be worthwhile for you, or perhaps it is?

Please keep your topic updated as to how you go.

5 Likes

Thank you for your answer.
I just read on their webpage that I can return the item within 30 days for a ‘change of mind’. As I purchased it on the 10th Jan, I should be able to return it. I do have the original packaging.
Would that be right,?
The randomness is the hard part indeed, but I’ll try and capture it on video.

6 Likes

Assuming you do not want another of the same I would go with a change of mind citing quality, while making sure they are aware it is faulty. Since you are near your 30 days I wouldn’t wait to the last hour.

5 Likes

That is correct if you meet any conditions associated with the change of mind.

Something else to try is a different video codec for the video files you are trying to play. Usually TV operating systems have a limited number of compatible Codec…this could be also resolution based (he higher the resolution the more TV processing/memory is required to play/decode the video and this may cause videos to stop after a period of playing). It might be worth confirming compatible Video Codec for the TV and trying this as well before returning - just in case this is the problem.

There are freeware Video Codec converters (search these terms) available which allow files to be converted into various other file formats.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply.
The codecs are OK, used a variety which is compatible. I decided I will return it tomorrow.

7 Likes

Sounds like it is a TV issue. Good luck with the Change of Mind.

Should have also said, welcome to the community.

5 Likes

Many thanks :slight_smile: Bit nervous about the return. Haven’t done this before believe it or not.

7 Likes

I am sure the retailer does not want it back, and will try some argument to put you off.
Just hold your ground and quote their change of mind policy, and make sure you have met all the conditions like packaging, various bits that came in the package originally, no sign of any scratches, etc.
Might help a lot if you say you intend to buy a better TV, from them, right there and then. Assuming you do still want a TV and happy to buy from them. Explain to them just why the TV is not meeting your needs, and take along one of your USB devices and test on any TV you intend to buy as a replacement.

6 Likes

My argumnent would be ‘Do you want it back now as an exchange? Or later as a faulty item that you can’t resell to some other shmuck?’

2 Likes

A counterpoint is that it appears to be faulty. Either way the seller gets it back. If the seller thinks there is no fault they might resell it as an out of box demo unit and some other ‘poor shmuck’ will inherit the problem - if they try to use the USB functions. If they know it is faulty they may claim from the manufacturer.

4 Likes

Thanks for comments-very helpful.
Off to the shop at lunchtime. I have tried to call them several times, but no answer. Must be busy.

2 Likes

The refund/exchange went smoothly and I updated to a HighSense 40 inch.
BTW the FFALCON has a 92 day return on it!

7 Likes

Good on you. Hope the new TV does the job.

2 Likes

As an aside some low priced products have very generous change of mind or return policies because the customer is effectively the QA system. Get a bad ‘box’ and they’ll give you another, and another, and another until you get a good one or the time limit expires. It is a way to ‘keep the customer happy’ by funding their experience in lieu of a rigorous QA protocol.

2 Likes

Can you physically return it to the shop? or do you have to post it?
Did you purchase on a debit card or credit card, and can, therefore dispute it?

If so, take to the shop and film them refusing a refund. Then dispute it with the bank.

or first dispute it with the bank, and then arrange delivery to them afterwards.

1 Like

Please refer to post ‘11’

3 Likes

May be insert the USB stick and then use your phone or tablet to take a video of the TV running. When the problem then occurs, edit out the early part of the video and just show the dealer what happens.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Apple Service & Repair Issues

The OP had a pleasant experience returning the faulty TV and getting another. Since no further advice is required I’ll close this topic. Thanks to all who replied.

3 Likes