Do you use reusable food covers like beeswax wraps or silicon ziploc bags? *POLL

I’ve been using ziplock baggies for ages, but they do deteriorate eventually and have to be disposed of. I’ve been looking at getting silicon instead, and now am interested in the beeswax for keeping avocadoes… so sick of ending up with brown when I cannot use all at once and don’t want to shop daily so I can get fresh. I don’t use cling wrap anymore, though I still have some on a roll in the drawer… what to do with that…

4 Likes

Freezing the flesh works well and if you only use a bit freezing in ice cube trays works well for us. Once they are frozen we put the cubes in a sealed container in the freezer until needed. Easy to mash after a small amount of time bench defrosting when you want a bit for a sandwich or slice of toast (low carb bread eg Aldi’s or Alpine’s (we only ever find this one at Coles in the bread aisle)).

2 Likes

Thanks for the headsup on low carb. I’ve had other brands of low carb bread and they taste like cardboard to me. I’ve got to go to Coles at opening today, so I’ll have a look for Alpines. I’ve not ever seen that brand at our local I must admit. I tend to get Country Split because its about 27g per 2 slices, neary half of what others are. Theres also a tiptop one (which is pretty awful) around the same.

Don’t think I’ll be freezing avo any time soon, I may have some on a sandwich but then I want to just eat the rest straight. In any case my freezer is only whats on top of the fridge and its only big enough to contain my frozen veg and meat that I have repacked. and a loaf of bread. Can’t spare space for ice cube trays.

1 Like

Just an idea: line your fridge shelves with it, dispose when dirty, and save on the physical cleaning job. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great idea @Gaby, I’ll do just that thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Out of interest, how many times do you think you reuse a ziplock baggy before it’s past it?

For non-food use until it no longer holds contents or doesn’t close properly. For food once, they are too hard to clean and dry properly being soft plastic and with little corners and tracks where food can stick.
[Edit: I rarely use them, preferring jars, bottles etc]

2 Likes

An easy test is to zip it up with a bit of air inside…squeeze gently and if it holds the air, they are still good to go. If you look after them, they can last a very long time.

To clean, gently turn them inside out. Wash/wipe, dry and reuse.

Another idea than buying them, collect zip sealed bags that food is bought in…there are some products in the supermarket that now come in resealable zipped bags. These are thicker and stronger than ones bought in packs…and are a really useful alternative option. Just be sure to know what is in them as they often have produ t labelling on them…otherwise you might get questions of why you freeze your muesli or only give your kids a big bag dried fruit for lunch. The only ones we have struggled reusing is the ones salmon come in…as they are near impossible to clean and remove residual smells. When these ‘die’, they go into our soft plastic bin for recycling.

2 Likes

Update, it has disappeared into my aerobic and was last seen with a couple of snails munching. Will go for a dig to see if ai can find it.

1 Like

Coles in some stores is now baking a 50% lower carb white loaf. I don’t think it toasts as well as normal white but fresh it is quite nice.

Yeah they have two kinds… the one I like is the one you cant get delivered unless its after 2pm :slight_smile:

1 Like