Do you use a stick vacuum on carpet?

Hi all

Cordless stick vacuums are increasingly popular nowadays and it seems that they are being used more often as a regular vacuum cleaner, not just as a way to gather up odd crumbs around the table.

We are making a few tweaks to our test criteria and would like to know how often you use your stick vacuum on your rug or carpet? Most people I’ve spoken to (myself included) use the supplied turbo brush on the carpet. Currently our overall scores are heavily weighted towards hard floors.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kim

3 Likes

I use mine on all surfaces mentioned: hard floor, rug, and carpet. It is the only vacuum I use since I live in a small apartment, so it gets used regularly on all surfaces with its various supplied attachments.

My primary concern is that it does a very good job on the carpet (mine does). I still sweep and mop as needed on hard floor, but it’s much harder to keep the carpet and rug clean if the vacuum doesn’t do its job. Therefore, I would say that putting more weighting into the carpet portion of the test would be beneficial for people like me.

6 Likes

I purchased for $105 an Airflow APV 617 22.2 V Lithium with power brush from Need of the Day. Has a good capacity collector with hepafilter. Goes as well as any of the $299 makes. Good on carpet as well. Errol F

3 Likes

I use mine mainly for the carpet especially on the stairs where a normal vacuum is difficult to use.
I own the Hoover ZB1516 and am very happy with it.

4 Likes

Have been using a Dyson DC45 Stick on all surfaces for nearly 2 years and have no complaints. The detachable long shaft makes the motor easy to use in places like car floors.

4 Likes

I have a Bosch Athlet which is my main vacuum. I use it a couple of times a week on hard flooring, carpet and rugs. Does a better job than my Hoover barrel.

2 Likes

I also use a Bosch Athlet, following the Choice recommendation for carpet, as we have a lot of floor rugs. It’s as good as my Bosch vacuum on carpet, but can’t get under things, a bit unwieldy.
Since most stick vacs work OK on hard floors, I think the carpet test is more important.

2 Likes

I have an old black and decker stick vacuum (dust buster) it’s ok for getting out of trouble (as long as you empty it out often and clean the filter) but to vacuum the house nothing is better than my ducted vacuum cleaner. Dust busters are definitely emergency cleaners only.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I bought a recent model Vax stick vac (CHOICE recommended, of course) at retail for quick and easy pickups over smaller areas, but that includes hard floors and carpet. It’s quicker and easier than lugging out the main machine for touch-ups inbetween weekly/fortnightly major cleans.

3 Likes

I use mine for spot cleaning on carpet, rugs and hard (brick) floors, and it works well on all. The small sized head means it takes too long to do a whole room/house, although I would in an emergency.

2 Likes

I use my Electrolux Ergorapido on all surfaces to remove dirt, crumbs etc. from tiles and carpet ASAP before it is trodden in. With less dirt and dust lying around, I use the large vacuum cleaner less frequently (2-3 times per month). I also use it to clean tiled stairs - not as thorough as a broom and mop, but OK for quick removal of dirt and dust.

2 Likes

We use our Dyson V6 Motorhead on our carpet and it seems to do a good job. I do wonder sometimes though if it’s a bit rough on the carpet as it seems to pick up a fair bit of carpet fluff - more than our Dyson ball vacuum (basic model), which has a smaller motorhead. We find the stick much more convenient, so we only use the ball when the stick runs out of juice (our apartment is reasonably large).

2 Likes

In my life vacuums are primarily for carpet. I’ve always been surprised by the weight given by the choice testers to performance on hard floors both in relation to stick and normal vacuums.

3 Likes

Yes, there has been a shift in how people use their stick vaccums once they see how convenient they are. It’s something we’ll be addressing.

Regards,
Kim

2 Likes

My experience with a number of Dyson V6’s with turbo head is that they are fine on hard floors & carpet tiles with no pile.
When they are used on mats/rugs/ carpet with any length of pile, the turbo head stalls and it is not possible to move the head over the carpet
Additionally, although not explicitly related to the OP’s question - the Mini Motorised tool is very aggressive and causes some fabrics to pill (damaged some car seat fabric before I realised)

2 Likes

We’ve had a Dyson Animal for 15 months and are delighted with it. We use it on rugs, pile carpets and hard floors, and have never had any stalling problems. The small motorised head is great for cleaning carpets in the car. We seldom need to use the Miele these days.

2 Likes

Recently purchased a stick vacuum for qwik cleaning carpet and hard floor - love it! I still use my Sauber regularly, which does a better job but harder to set up & use, whereas with the stick vacuum I can run thru the entire house in about the same time it takes to set up the larger vac.

2 Likes

I only use a stick vacuum - so I use it on all surfaces. I HATE vacuuming and so months would go by without me doing any vacuuming. I stayed at a friends house and they had a dyson stick vacuum. As soon as I tried it, I knew that it was the only thing that would work for me.
I got rid of my big heavy vacuum cleaner and got a Dyson stick. Because it’s so easy to use and very quick to set up and you don’t have to drag a cord around, and it turns off when you let go of the trigger the whole experience is way easier to tolerate.

So now I vacuum heaps more regularly and as far as I’m concerned it doesn’t matter if a stick vacuum is not as good as a full size vacuum cleaner, it has to be better to actually do the vacuuming that not do it at all!

4 Likes

Bye Bye Miele. I recently bought a stick vac and it does hard and carpeted - STAIRS in particular.It is 25 volt , power brush, good container size with hepa filter, does not separate into two units which is OK by me. Airflo APV 617 for $105 from Need of the Day - 617 is important

4 Likes

Thanks everyone, this has been most helpful. I will post something here soon, watch this space…

3 Likes