Do you use a stick vacuum on carpet?

Hi all
We will be doing a full test of stick vacuums later in the year. Going by what most of you have said, our assuptions that people were using their stick vacuums more and more are correct. We’ve certainly seen a massive shift in market share towards cordless. As of last year, 28% of CHOICE members own a stick vacuum and out of those, around 3/4 of them own a Dyson.

Dyson has just announced that it will stop developing mains-powered vacuums - that is, corded ones. They say the future’s in battery powered machines. While we normally buy products for comparison as a consumer would, we did review an early production model of the new Dyson Cyclone V10 as a “first look” (it isn’t out for another month). The suction power is there, and it’s up there with many full-size vacuums. But that’s on max mode with the power head (which only lasts 9 minutes in our test). if you want a big clean and no worries about the battery life, you still can’t beat a traditional vacuum. But I can see that changing in the future.

3 Likes

I find it troubling how many products are going to battery power. Convenience is one thing but their environmental footprint is not good and I venture few dispose of old batteries according to ‘the instructions’ and just put them in the rubbish. Then there are the vanity products (incl mobiles!) that do not have removable batteries and are designed as throwaways - complete with the hazardous materials. The batteries in some products are replaceable with modest skill but some require good eyes, steady hands, proper soldering kit and skill, and the ability to hold many parts in place at once to get it done. I was once able to do that but so many products have been designed to dissuade us it kept getting harder…

8 Likes

I only use a stick vacuum. They are perfect for polished boards. Not sure about thick carpets as I don’t have any. I love how compact and ergonomic they are as well.

2 Likes

Our Dyson v6 is 5yrs old about.Good at wooden floors tiles,carpets use more battery life to clean carpets but convenience of the Dyson is the winning part,yes it still needs TLC.

The problem I have with the Dyson style of stick vac, is that with my arthritic hands and shoulders, I can’t even lift it to use it. A friend has one and swears by it but when I tried it at her house, I was unable to use it. I have to have the older style where really its just a dustbuster inserted into a longer handle/head so it can be a stick vac as well… I’d love to see those tested alongside the rest. Oh yeah… when I do have a stick vac (my last one died) its for in between “proper” vaccuuming… all surfaces.

Agree the Dyson ‘sucks’!

We think the power head dies a good job on short pile carpet. Better than the power head on the Hoover cordless which is less powerful and broader.

However the Dyson places the weight/mass as a dead weight closer to your body. Great for poking at spiders on the ceiling if you are that way inclined. Not so convenient with the alternatives other than a conventional pull along, assuming the hose is long enough. Not in our old house with high ceilings.

1 Like

Hoses being long enough is a real problem anyway even with some of the regular vacs. I bought a bissell pet hair eraser bagless… its an upright with a hose attached… and it was fine for floors (even if like a 747 taking off) but using the hose for anything higher than the back of the couch… the damn thing falls over. I’ve recently acquired (but not yet unpacked) a Hoover Cat and Dog, and its a barrell bagged cleaner (I hate bagless, too. Messy damn things) and am hoping it will be able to replace the Bissell and the old suckless volta. Stick vacs though, especially ike Dysons… cannot lift them high at all.

The stick vacuum test was comprehensive however it did not address using them on the new thick wool looped carpet we have. Everything I have I been told indicates that you can’t use the brushes on this type of carpet as it can either pull out the loops or make the carpet too fluffy.
So what stick vacuum can be used on this carpet?

1 Like

I cannot address stick vacuums but any type of vac with a power head will subject carpets, and especially wool, to ‘wear’.

Some have softer brushes (that are easier on the pile) and others very stiff brushes (that tend to loosen more dirt). If I were shopping today I would look at tests and then the bristles. I bought a very well reviewed model without realising it had very stiff bristles and true to form it cleans the carpets very well, but the amount of fluff it takes off the carpets every time remains impressive after many years.

The power head has low-medium-high settings and it is imperative to use low-medium or it would possibly plow a trench if moved too slowly or left in a place for more than a second or two.

I hope that is at least somewhat helpful.

1 Like

Thanks PhilT
However too risky!

1 Like

Even though I lose a lot of fluff each time the carpets have not visually degraded. Risk is in the eye of the beholder and dependent on the care one takes with the vac.

There is a tradeoff between how well they clean and the brushes so each makes their own choice on what is most important. A vac without brushes to beat the piles would not clean nearly so well.

2 Likes

Thanks Phil I will keep in mind your thoughtful comments when I actually get to a shop to have a look!

3 Likes

Well I am still looking for a stick vacuum which can be used on thick wool looped carpet. Tinaca12 is the only one someone said might work. Using these vacuums on wool carpet seems ok but it’s the looped carpet which is the issue.
Is anyone using one of of the stick vacuums on this carpet with success and no issues?
Dragging my big heavy Dyson around often is a pest!

I have used lots of different vacuum cleaners cordless and corded i personally do not like cordless for carpet as much as corded. Convenience they are ok and lighter. Maybe some brands are different. Batteries area nuisance how they die suddenly or don’t last

This is why I no longer have a stick vac. Makes it all pointless.

1 Like