"Do not knock" front door sticker and so called "charities"

I’ve only recently placed a “Do not knock” sticker for salespeople on my front door. I’ve just had someone from a charity…HRI…who was clearly trying to “sell” the process of donating to HRI…she had the well designed chatter happening.
I asked her if she had seen my sticker and she said she wasn’t selling anything.
I have no problems with general “volunteers” asking for donations, though would still prefer they left me alone (recluse in the making!)
This seems to be a grey area, as these people are clearly on some sort of commission to get you signed up to a regular monthly donation…if the individual is making money, then surely they are “salespeople”??

19 Likes

Charities, religious organizations, & politicians all seem to be immune to the normal ‘do not disturb’ requirements.

Perhaps it is time their status was diminished to being just like everyone else?

17 Likes

I’m one of those types who finds it really hard to say “no” to anyone, and I’m always polite… then I find myself justifying my actions to a complete stranger, feeling like I have to explain about my chosen charities that I do support.
I live a quiet, solitary life, so I find these encounters really confronting and intrusive.
And don’t get me started on the religious ones…I think it is the height of rudeness to knock on my door and push their religious views.

20 Likes

I understand.

Perhaps you could print yourself an A4 size poster sealed in a plastic pocket which you stick at the gate or at your door?

You could put your own text on there, such as:
“No Entry to sales people, charities, religious missionaries, or political representatives.”
Add to that anyone else you don’t want bothering you.

That should make it clear, and then they would be trespassing if they proceeded.

14 Likes

Then add that sign that says “Intruders will be shot. Survivors will be shot again”

16 Likes

Some might enjoy this classic Black Books skit.

21 Likes

How about a sign saying “Sales people, charities, religious missionaries and political representatives are very welcome. My fee for talking to you is $100 per minute with a minimum charge of 5 minutes. Your knock or ringing of the door bell constitutes your agreement to these terms. Please have cash ready.”

:wink:

39 Likes

I would like one of those signs lol

6 Likes

Hiya Fred

I propose that you get these signs printed and up for sale immediately!

You will make a fortune!

Put my name down as your first customer!
Cheers Natalie :wink:

5 Likes

Awesome, love it. I’ve just printed one!

4 Likes

I have reduced door knocks to zero. A 2 metre fence, electronic gate, intercom and 2 Blue Cattle dogs have solved that problem.

13 Likes

If I get caught I always ask for a pamphlet or referral to a website, if it’s a sign up now then no sale. I’d rather do my own research.

8 Likes

@Suzique, great idea and thanks for sharing it. At the very least this sets a tone for anyone who intrudes. For those trying this out, please leave your experiences here :+1:

3 Likes

Easy answer to the uninvited entry is to post at your front gate and or driveway a sign that says “No Entry”. This sign negates ALL implied rights of entry to your property even by police. This applies to property which you own or if you are the renter of the property. People or businesses can only enter if they have a warrant, court document, authority of an Act of Parliament, or have given you a legal notice of entry that allows them entry or you have given them the authority to enter. If you put this sign up you must write to your Energy supplier and give them/their meter readers permission to enter to read your meters otherwise they will only be able to issue “estimated” bills. After you place the sign/s you can then sue anyone who enters your property who do not hold a legal licence to do so, this includes Door to Door sales people, members of government, people seeking election, religious organisations, charity workers and so on. You do not have to prove any damages you can just sue them because they trespassed.

See High Court decision Robson v Hallett [1967] 2 QB 939, Lord Parker CJ said (at 951):

“The occupier of any dwelling-house gives implied licence to any member of the public coming on his lawful business to come through the gate, up the steps, and knock on the door of the house.” This implied licence extends to the driveway of a dwelling-house. However, the licence may be withdrawn by giving notice of its withdrawal. A person who enters or remains on property after the withdrawal of the licence is a trespasser.”

You can, if you haven’t placed signs, just say “Leave my house” or similar to revoke any implied right of entry and as soon as you say this they must leave or they are committing trespass and can be sued.

Also please note that if you have used the “No Entry” or “Do Not Enter” or similar sign or have asked the person/people to leave you can ask the police to remove them.

11 Likes

I found this small snippet on the “right of entry” to property quite interesting . Most of the references are for Victoria , the state where I live , may be different for other states .

4 Likes

Thank you for that I have amended my answer to reflect Acts of Parliaments. Your link and the info were appreciated and helpful.

3 Likes

Hi @Suzique, charities, politicians and market research firms are unfortunately exempt from Do Not Knock signs. The Financial Institute of Australia takes complaints if you want to make a complaint about their practices: https://www.fia.org.au/pages/frequently-asked-questions.html#Q16

In fact charities, politicians and market research firms are also exempt from calling you for donations, even if you put yourself on the Do Not Call register. A lot of people, especially vulnerable people are getting hounded by unwanted calls every week. We believe consumers should be able to opt-out of unsolicited calls. It’s a big issue and if you haven’t already, put your name to our campaign to help us lobby for change in this area; http://e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1965&ea.campaign.id=56538

8 Likes

@kday…have signed your campaign to lobby for changes to unsolicited calls.

Things have changed a lot since the “Do not Call” register originally came into effect. At that time, charities were concerned about obtaining donations, but with the progress and growth in Social media, Facebook, Go Fund me type pages, it’s time for a rethink. I find I’m often donating to something I have seen on Facebook, and I usually try to donate directly to the person/ cause. I feel charities do themselves a dis-service when recruiting/ paying for people to go door knocking for donations. I know I will never donate to those charities, as I want my donation to be used as efficiently as possible.
Charities will argue this, as they say it is the most efficient way for them to get funds, but I know many people that think the same way I do.

12 Likes

@Suzique thanks for signing the campaign :slight_smile:

Agree with you. Fundraising by calling people who would have otherwise opt-ed out of phone calls seems like an inefficient way of spending funds. It’s something we want to talk to charities about this year to help us find a better solution for consumers.

7 Likes

I agree with the effect of door knockers on the willingness of people to engage. I have a standard response to all of them now, although I have heard the one about this being the most effective way for them. Not with me it isn’t.
Charity etc door-knockers (which I get a lot) get the “I have a blanket policy of not donating to door knockers, and the use of them diminishes my willingness to support your charity. Please pass that on to your supervisors.”
Politicians get a terse something like “I base all my decisions on written policy information on your website. If it is incomplete, you will suffer the consequence at the polling booth”.

9 Likes