Do it yourself calendars

I was reading about Print and Complete Forms and thought calendars are a good example of a beneficial web-sourced document.

There are websites that provide dynamic PDF format calendars as a free download. Here is one. By dynamic I mean you can chose the format, the year and fill in key dates (like birthdays) before the PDF is created. Public holidays are done automatically according to country.

I got on to this when the local paper stopped giving out calendars. I went to the newsagent and found a printed one cost quite a few dollars and was far too grand for my needs.

Once you download it you print it however you like. In my case I do them as A4 monochrome on plain paper. I choose each page is a month which leaves room to write in appointments etc on any day. This costs me about 20c a year and about 10 minutes of my time and I don’t have to leave the house.

3 Likes

In years gone by when I had more time to tinker, I used to create a spreadsheet with a month on each A4 page. I should have kept each years rather than updating the spreadsheet as over 7 or so years, I would have had a template for each year.

I still make my own rain gauge/rainfall record calendar which is on a single A4 sheet. It is in a spreadsheet and only changes for leap years.

3 Likes

I think you would need 14. I let somebody else worry about that.

1 Like

I get my calendar, and give a few away too, at the $2.00 shop. Around xsmas time there are very beautiful calendars to choose from: some with lovely pics of flowers, or of kittens, or of puppies, or a scripture verse or a philosophy quote.
All public holidays etc are boldly marked, and there’s plenty of space to write in your own special dates.
It looks beautiful on the kitchen wall and all for just $2.00. :wink:

3 Likes

The reason why we don’t make our own is we get 2 sent to us. One from a society we have membership, and the other from a supplier.

If one wants free ones, some chemists give badged ones away in December.

2 Likes

A number of suppliers stopped giving us calendars in the last 2-3 years, citing rising costs. We offered to pay, but were in the minority. So we ended up buying one from our 4 mornings a week chemist who donated the proceeds to the one teacher school.

I used to use a Word template for a calendar. Now it will only do one month. You have to nominate January 2021, print, then February 2021 etc I want a large area on each day to write information, not a pretty or arty one with little room.

2 Likes

When I want to look at a calendar, I Google 'calendar" and then look at this site.

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?country=29

Too easy.

Also fantastic for any previous years.

2 Likes

Does it have your appointments and birthdays?

In the age of the iPhone, just set “reminders”: you will be alerted, you can even choose the location where you want to be reminded, for example: when you arrive home? In your car?

6 Likes

Sorry against my religion. I feel no need to be constantly in contact with the world. A paper calendar hanging on the wall suits me better. Devices are not ubiquitous yet.

2 Likes

Several of the local Real Estate Agents usually send one out, as does one of the local MPs. Several are printed as a fridge magnet. Handy for lots of reasons, including remembering who I did not vote for.

I should probably post them back to sender. As far as I know they are not recycled, and are just one more item of difficult waste for landfill?

1 Like

Same here. They are very small.

1 Like

They are printed on paper card or paper and can be recycled. Even the small fridge type calendar with the magnetic strip can go into the recycling bin.

I am yet to see one that isn’t made of paper product, but it doesn’t say non-paper ones exist. If it isn’t paper based, one would need to determine recyclability.

1 Like

Isn’t the backing a thick coating of magnetic iron powder in a rubbery plastic.
It would seem likely some of the product will get caught in the ferrous metal stream, pulled out by magnets or attached to tin cans.

Hence the plastic would go into a scrap furnace?

Perhaps there is another topic waiting to be created Can I recycle my calendar?

Or maybe not.

One of the ones in our office is that type whilst the other simply has a small piece of magnetic tape on the back which can be peeled off.

1 Like

No, they don’t make it to the magnets nor the reverse polarising for aluminium. Paper is the first stream to be separated at a MURF. It is straight after all materials go through a trommel (screen) to remove finer particles. Paper is screened off first as it can easily block other automated sorting equipment.

As they are a weak magnet, they don’t tend to make it through stuck to things.

The flexible magnets are removed during paper repulping, no differently to plastic envelope windows. They are separated from the pulp and disposed of due to the level of contamination.

1 Like

I get those little calendars (and other things) with the magnetic strip/block attached. I pull them off for other uses and put the paper into the recycling.

The magnetic things are useful for affixing curtains and other loose materials, picking up pins & other ferrous metals, sewn into work shirt pockets so Mr Z’s torch (with magnetic strip) stays in and less likely to fall out or get stuck to metal. Since I did this I have not had to scour the property for it.

My wall calendars are all paper. The ones with a metal hanging strip (I pull off) and put them separately into recycling. The glossy ones with staples go into recycling.

My DIY calendars are printed on the back of used A4 as they are used for a short & particular purpose eg planning topics for the Rare Fruit newsletter around meetings and excursions. Then recycled or pulped for compost.

2 Likes

Apologies - I only intended the initial comment on recycling in passing.
If it’s not explicitly on our council list of items to recycle - then it goes to landfill. I’ll leave it at that.

1 Like

I get a calendar each year from my pharmacy. I pin it to my noticeboard, where I also pin bills etc. Its still stuck on February. I guess I have gone completely digital. I use my ipad mostly, to enter and edit appointments, Aussie holidays go in, in bulk, birthdays are in as a group, populated from my contacts info. For me, just easier than doing it any other way. Reminders (which I need) can be set for hours, days and weeks in advance. time to leave for appointments is an option I don’t bother with. All my calendar info is populated to every device which is on my icloud account. I don’t think I’ll be getting a paper calendar next year.

2 Likes