Dishwasher & Appliance Repair Costs

I have found some manufactures will provide parts as goodwill when asked. It only applies when one calls their service, not a ‘local repair person’. My experiences were both years beyond warranty and in neither case did I need to argue the Australian Consumer Law.

My 6 year old SMEG oven recently had its fan element fail (error 5). I rang their excellent Victoria service agent who was known to me through an earlier warranty repair. They quoted their call-out fees and ‘plus parts’ as expected. I asked if SMEG might be willing to cover or discount the part as goodwill considering the relatively short life of the oven. The agent contacted SMEG on my behalf and rang back a few hours later that SMEG agreed to cover the part. Although the repair could only be scheduled 3 days hence I was lucky - they had a cancellation and my oven was fixed the same day costing the minimal service call fee.

On another occasion I had a bad then good experience with Miele on one of their worst ever products. It should not have gone down as I described but the infamous dryer continues to provide good service 3 years on.

I ‘made my mistake’ on a Siemens dishwasher repair. In hindsight if I had called Bosch service I might have gotten the expensive part discounted or provided under goodwill. The independent being arms length was a good repairer but was not interested in getting in the middle or suggesting I contact Bosch, only fixing the dishwasher and getting paid.

While I do not mean to disparage ‘local repairers’ in any way, because of how manufacturers/importers might (not will) help, I now start by ringing manufacturers/importers and their service agents. Another data point is if the service agent cannot get to me in weeks and the local can come now or tomorrow that is a point of consideration and worth some potentially extra dollars in parts, sometimes offset by lower call out and hourly charges. And sometimes the manufacturer/imported remains disinterested so it is case by case, but worth considering.

I needed some rubber bumpers for my Miele cooktop. I expected Miele to ask top dollar and a bit so ordered them from a ‘discount appliance supply’. After the fact I learned Miele sold them for $s less per unit and did free shipping! Seems a bit of a lotto how to source parts and get repairs.

4 Likes