COVIDSafe app scepticism

I’m not sure if each state is the same, but the WA app can only read SafeWA codes. If you try to scan a normal QR code with it nothing happens. So the worst someone could do here is get you to check in to a different address.

If the South Australian app can open web links or do something malicious, that sounds like an issue with the app

1 Like

afaik a typical QR code scanner won’t scan those SA check-in codes (at least twice I’ve used built in android by mistake and nothing happened).
I know the SA one wasn’t able to scan the Covax survey code but that is anecdotal and who knows what idle hands might have found out.

Not sure what it takes to get a QR code issued but I imagine just copying one from some random establishments is probably not that difficult (if you don’t mind getting arrested as it turns out).

I do know that by not scanning (in SA) or equivalent you’ll likely cause a delay should contact tracing be necessary that can be measured in days (and I would suggest the unknown then prompts another snap lockdown)

1 Like

Also being discussed here: QR Code for COVID - #3

1 Like

A gentle way of saying that it’s dead?

6 Likes

Not on life support, I’d say it lies in a cryonic chamber. Doubtful it could be resurrected in it’s previous form. The updates and nags to permit access to location tracking to improve performance were introduced without fanfare or public discussion. I’ve ignored same.

Of course the individual state by state QR code app does track where you have been. It’s still reliant on manual tracing, time lags and a degree of honesty or diligence.

A workable alternative for the current lower frequency of viral escape. Victorians may have a more diverse range of views right now?

3 Likes

People can be so mean!

2 Likes

Now that I have my wife’s Samsung Galaxy 5 after she got her near new iPhone. I was able to install the Check In Qld app on Thursday as we were going to lunch with her friends yesterday and I expected that I would need it to get into the clubhouse.

As it turned out, I also needed it on Thursday to check in at my physio who started using it a couple of days prior.

Easy to use and works a treat.

2 Likes

Since CovidSafe seems to have met it inevitable use-by date, replaced by QR checkins, is it time to close this as a topic? Or broaden it (and the title) to anything related to tracing, eg COVID19 Contact Tracing Issues?

3 Likes

I think so as times have moved on, which is a positive as alternative forms of contact tracing have been more favourably adopted by the community. These other methods have their own threads.

I wonder if CovidSafe will become a reality again if causal or fleeting contacts shows to cause higher number of infection spreads. If it does, the thread can be reopened.

Either - a broader title perhaps.

The alternatives have similar needs and concerns.
EG user adoption, efficiency, reliability, trust, mandatory use, functional creep, interoperability across borders, and …?

Effective tracing is likely to be a need for sometime.

2 Likes

I updated the title of a germane topic that mentioned QR codes toward the end.

and merged

I will close this one

3 Likes

A postscript to end the topic.

4 Likes