COVID-19 Prepaid Airline, Accomodation & Tour Refunds, Rebookings

Hi choice community

I was meant to be going on camping trip to central nsw (I live in Victoria) … Of course all travel cancelled and they have closed the park…
that’s OK but when I asked for refund they said can only get a 12 month credit…

Given I’m 10hrs away this was part of a bigger trip I don’t think I can go next year. Can they refuse a refund? Apparently they give in extenuating circumstances (couldnt get more than this!!) but there is silence from nsw,…

Thanks Erin

2 Likes

Welcome to the .community @Erin,

There are a few links in this thread to the ACCC advice. If your camp ground has a specific COVID-19 policy it will explain what they are happy to do; it seems a credit? If not the ACCC (linked above) essentially says the booking terms and conditions apply, but it would be useful to you if you read it, and your rights under the Australian Consumer Law.

Look for a force majeure clause (unforeseen events) in their T&C as it is usually different to normal cancellations.

Without further information (camp ground, T&C, etc), not much more I can add. Note we cannot provide legal advice on the forum, only opinions and suggestions.

Have you sent them a receipted email to show they received it? Did you ring them to discuss? They may be quite busy with many bookings that have been impacted so you might not get a quick response. That being written they should not go missing for weeks without at least an acknowledgement of your query.

5 Likes

Booked a short trip to Uluru with Flight Centre in January 2020. Paid a deposit of approximately $4900.

CoVID-19 pandemic starts and social distancing rules enforced. Guess what happens to my trip:

(1) Flight Centre travel consultant contacted me out of the blue (via email not even a phone call) with information on refunds, cancellations - note, I never asked for it and did not even infer cancelling the trip;

The email states that travel insurance does not cover cases related to Coronavirus and trip is non-refundable!

I was surprised and reminded the travel consultant ( via email) that Voyages - Sails in the Desert decided to temporarily close their doors due to COVID-19, and that the holiday deal is no longer valid (i.e. it is not my fault that supplier has decided to shut down their business). She advised me that I should contact the supplier and get a refund myself [note it is Flight Centre that brokered the deal]. Further, she forwards me an invoice for the remaining portion of the trip, approximately $1900 and reminding me of the due date!!.

Taking into account this poor customer service, I wrote to Flight Centre requesting them to consider two options i.e. allowing me to:

(1) cancel the trip and offer a full refund of the deposit amount (accommodation, activities, flights) I have paid to date

OR

(2) amend the trip i.e. rescheduling it to sometime next year at no additional cost.

No reply yet.

I have not ruled out approaching ACCC but would be grateful for suggestions from the community on whether to pursue legal action. Basically I want my money refunded.

Thanks

5 Likes

Welcome to the . community @zainsyed

To avoid repetition please read from the top of this topic. You will notice Flight Centre appears and reappears. The previous commentary applies to all FC bookings.

Some offices are better than others, but this time there seems a pattern where they are looking after their own dollars not their customers. Your experience seems on even FC’s lower end. Also check the Choice advice as well as the ACCC advice, but it will probably come down to their T&C and whatever you might be able to negotiate. As an absolute minimum you should be expecting a rebooking. Make all communication with FC formal and keep copious records. Considering how they have had such a high problem profile it is curious they are still in business AFAIAC.

Plz let us know how you go. Those cancellation fees and what your consultant appears to be asking does seem totally over the top.

3 Likes

What a disgusting bunch of grubs.

Their reviews on Product Review say it all.

Some 1,445 1 star reviews out of a total of 1,923 reviews.

And a highly unflattering article regarding their toxic workplace culture.

“Best in the air. And everywhere”. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Whoops. Stop the presses. Another review has arrived.

Oh dear. It is another revelation of their “modus operandi”.

The AirBnB CEO has put out an email entitled “A message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky” dated 31 March which includes the following;
“We determined that we had to allow your guests to cancel and receive a full refund—including all our fees.”

3 Likes

That is only for check ins prior to 31 May. The host and I have been watching this closely.

From the Airbnb website
“ Reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences made on or before 14 March 2020, with a check-in date after 31 May 2020, are not currently covered for COVID-19 related extenuating circumstances. The host’s cancellation policy will apply as usual.”

2 Likes

Also from their website
“ For reservations booked on or before March 14 with a check-in after May 31, we recognize there may still be uncertainty. In the coming weeks, we’ll be asking hosts and guests to revisit these reservations and choose to either cancel or re-commit to the reservation.”

Is Airbnb accepting fees on cancellations?
Airbnb is waiving all host and guest fees on COVID-19 cancellations under our extenuating circumstances policy. We’re either refunding our fees or providing a travel credit in an amount that includes our fees.

I’ve heard Airbnb is offering travel credit instead of refunds to guests. Is that true?
When guests cancel due to COVID-19-related circumstances, we’re giving them the option to take either a cash refund or a travel credit that can be used for a stay at a later date. This is our way of encouraging guests to book with Airbnb hosts in the future.”

To me, this means you can get refunds for your trip bookings without any fees/penalties to you or the host.

3 Likes

I booked and paid for a full week’s hire of a houseboat on the Murray river on 2 March. It was a last minute booking for a holiday with our family from New Zealand whe were able to travel to meet us at this time. In mid March the New Zealand government closed its borders and on 22 March the Australian government advised all Australians against non-essential travel. I wrote to the houseboat company asking them what their policy was if we were unable to travel interstate. They advised that although travel restrictions made it difficult or impossible for us to travel to Echuca - they were ready, willing and able to provide us with the accomodation. They said that I should have taken out travel insurance (I would not have been able to take out insurance against Covid19 at this time) They also said if they could hire out the boat for the same dates for the same hire cost they will transfer our booking or refund the hire fee. However if the boat is not re-booked we can either take our holiday or the hire fee will be forfeited. Clearly we are unable to travel to take our holiday and it is highly unlikely that the houseboat will be booked by anyone else in the present circumstances. My questions are:

1. As the Victorian Government has directed that providing holiday accommodation is a restricted activity and as all States and Federal Government has directed the general public to stay at home is the contract between the houseboat company and myself frustrated.
    Is the contract void? In addition,
  2. The houseboat company’s booking contract has non negotiable conditions that provide for the payment of a 100% deposit no later than 4 months before travel. This prepayment is deemed a deposit by the company and is forfeited in full if a booking is cancelled within 4 months of travel. The terms of this contract appears unfair and contrary to Australian Consumer Law.
    Is the contract void?/
    I would appreciate advice or comment

Welcome to the .community @oldmolle,

That is phrased as a legal question that none of us are licensed to answer. It appears you are familiar with the Australian Consumer Law so I’ll not rehash that. This topic also has links to Choice and the ACCC statements on COVID-19 cancellation in response to prior problems.

The houseboat company seems to be best avoided so if they remain intransigent it might be in the public interest to name it so others can book with them eyes wide open if they choose to go forward with them.

In your place I would assemble all of the government warnings and restrictions including on distancing, gatherings, essential services, and so on, and state clearly why you believe the contract is null, explicitly what you want (eg a refund, but prepared to negotiate for a full credit is a backstop), with a reasonable time for them to respond. You may be familiar with the ACCC or Choice letter of complaint templates that provide a framework.

Send the letter so you have a receipt it was received (their email response works, alternatively set the ‘return receipt’ option on your email - all email servers do not honour that but worth trying if your client enables setting it). If ignored or refused, send it and the company response to Fair Trading and the Echuca Moama Business and Trades Association if the company is a member. It is a tourist town and bad press under what is essentially a mandated tourism shutdown should get attention.

Alternatively you could seek legal advice. Many lawyers will provide an initial consultation gratis or for a nominal fee.

Please let us know how it goes, for better or worse.

3 Likes

Singapore Airlines are charging their customers and FF Members to cancel flights when the flights are being cancelled because of the virius.

Airlines that take advantage of their customers in the middle of the Corona Virus using their fine print, deserve no loyalty in Australia

Are the cancellations you mention schedules that are still (or projected to still) flying (eg after May), or flights that were cancelled at the passenger’s request because the passenger was concerned about the pandemic and chose not to fly?

SG has a policy on COVID-19 that reflects what many airlines are doing for cancelled flights scheduled through end-May. The SG policy notes they will continue to review that as events warrant. There is a full credit with no rebooking fee, but differences in fares will be charged if any, and a must-be-used-by date, currently 31 Mar 2021.

If the passenger unilaterally decides they do not wish to fly and their flight was scheduled to go when cancelled, it comes down to the T&C under which the ticket was purchased including penalties applicable to the fare purchased.

My sister finally heard back from Flight Centre after they changed her 1 way flight with Virgin from Adelaide to Melbourne. They’ve offered her a credit on the $139 the ticket she paid for. But they will charge a $225 Virgin rebooking fee and a $75 fee Flight Centre fee, so it will cost her more than double if she rebooks.

She did get insurance through Cover-More, but it doesn’t seem to be the best policy out there

3 Likes

The media is finally reporting. FC is front and centre.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/coronavirus-flight-centre-travel-agency-cancellation-fee-backlash/19cb8d6b-4ace-462c-a721-75af3d9f69e5

their Flight Centre consultant promised if travel bans came into effect, they would receive a “full refund”.

John Werner told A Current Affair the company didn’t honour that, instead charging $300 for each traveller – totalling $1,200 – almost half of what the trip cost.

“Jetstar did announce they have given the full refund back to Flight Centre so they were sitting on the full refund,” Mr Werner said.

The article includes a statement from FC.

1 Like

Those companies which have no compassion and instead are driven by profit over reasonableness, may find that the long term loss of customers will result in greater financial impact than refunding owed monies.

1 Like

Had booked a flight one way to Milan online with Flight Centre. Flight was cancelled by the airline
Sought refund from Flight Centre. Offered a voucher for full amount with no cancellation fee or if I proceeded with cancellation I would be charged $300 per person,
Flight Centre’s terms and conditions seem to indicate that if you cancel they can charge a cancellation fee.
I maintain that as I cannot fly that the terms and conditions for me are different. I am not changing my flight. It is no longer available.
I want a full refund less fees incurred with booking

4 Likes

Hi I am just asking for some advice or experience so far. I have booked Flights and Accom with Flight Centre months ago to Depart on 10 May. I have contacted the booking adjent and they say they are processing my Non Travel refund. My question is who is cancelling the trip? Me or the different Airlines. If the trip is no longer available through border restrictions should Flight Centre be giving most of my $9,000 paid to them back to my bank account minus minimal fees. I this what is happening?

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Veraldo

If the airline cancels the flights and advises you directly or through FC, they cancelled it. If you cancel it, you have cancelled it.

One would expect they would refund the entire amount, but your post has been preceded by many FC customers who are being charged service fees and in cases were only being offered vouchers, not refunds.

Rather than rehash what has been experienced to date, please scan the thread. If you use the search function for ‘flight centre’ and tick ‘search this topic’ it will show you all the related posts, as well as links to FC’s T&C, posted earlier. There are also links to Choice and ACCC advice for COVID-19 related cancellations.

2 Likes

I am asking did I panick by contacting them the other day or should I have waited on them to contact me and tell me the whole trip from NZ, Hawaii, Las Vaegus, Fiji to NZ is not possible. Also by reading their cancellation document I would be charged 350 per person minimum. I am trying to figure what is an acceptable amount I would get back into my bank account from the 9k given to them in good faith.

Booking.com has changed its Force Majeure cancellation policy from Monday 6 April 2020. This is due to travellers being fully aware of the existing travel restrictions and controls due to COVID-19.