Cottee's No Added Sugar Cordial

Just bought from Woolworths some of Cottee’s No Added Sugar Cordial and noticed the new labeling and thought it looks a bit smarter. Went to mix up a new batch of codial and noticed that 1 ltr now mixes with 7 lts of water where as the previous one was with 9 lts of water. So it looks like Cottee’s has altered the new codial to increase its profit margin, not a happy consumer as we use gallons of the stuff.

11 Likes

Do you have a image of the old and new labels so we can see the change?

It will be interesting to see if the nutritional panel also reflects the changes as well.

5 Likes

Old on the left and new on the right

6 Likes

I can’t read the detailed panels. What happens if you mix the new version up 9 to 1? Does it taste the same? They may not have changed the formula much or at all just want you to use more.

5 Likes

Cant really notice change in taste but I am not a sugar user Did notice barcode number is the same and number of servings had dropped from 40 to 32

5 Likes

Worth asking on their Facebook page. Looks like quite a few complaints about the flavour changes. They discontinued a few.

5 Likes

Looking at the nipitritional panel, it does appear thag the mix recipe is more dilute than the old one as the energy and sodium are similar.

Are the ingredients the same?

3 Likes

Ingredients seem to be the same but whether the quantities of the ingredients are different then only Cottee’s can answer that question. Now looking for another brand to use

7 Likes

If ingredients are the same, the new labelled cordial is a dillution (22%) of the old cordial.

The label also didn’t indicate that the cordial had a new formula…which is a little deceptive to long term customers like yourself.

I would let Cottees know you aren’t happy about this deception and as a long term customer, you now plan to change brands.

3 Likes

Noticed that the Barcode has not changed. Would go to FB but am not on social media

4 Likes

You can contact them through their parent company website:

https://asahi.com.au/contact-us/enquiries

5 Likes

Done, will be interesting as to what they will say

6 Likes

UPDATE - Finally got a reply from Cottee’s.

Dear Ian,

Thank you for contacting us with your feedback regarding the update to formulation of our Cottee’s Cordial. Due to consumer feedback, we have changed the concentration of Cottee’s cordials to make it easier for consumers to ‘mix it their way’. Our consumers told us that they didn’t know how to mix our cordial to their taste. We spoke to many consumers in their homes and they told us that they often pour too much into a glass and then tip some down the sink, adding more water to get it just how they like it. Our cordial products were considerably more concentrated than other competitor products and consumers were confused as to how to get it just right.

I will pass your comments on to our Marketing team for their information. If you would like to discuss the issue further, please do not hesitate to contact me on our freecall number 1800 244054 during business hours.

Tried to send an email reply but it was rejected as possible spam.

Spoke to them by phone and told them that the answer given was vey poor and Cottee’s answer was “We thought you might see it that way.” Informed them that my thoughts were that Cottee’s would be a good contender for a SHONKY AWARD.
Well that’s it for the time being until something else comes along.
Cheers to everyone

10 Likes

If that was true, you really would have to wonder about the sanity of these people- how many times do they have to pour it down the sink before they figure out to put a bit less in the glass?!

10 Likes

Sounds like their marketing team coming up with an excuse hoping others think it is plausible. What a load of codswallop…and that most customers know how to mix cordial to their liking…and no-one in their right mind would tip some of a slightly too concentrated cordial down the sink. If this was the case, it would make more sense to take a sip and then add more water…or as @gordon suggest.

8 Likes

I was always amused by Cottee’s TV ads featuring a couple of kids on their parents’ citrus farm singing a jingle that Cottee’s makes the cordial that they love best.

I guess if you think that the public at large would actually believe that kids on a citrus farm would prefer to drink cordial, then you would probably come up with any sort of rubbish in response to a customer query.

6 Likes

Since the 60’s to when it disappeared in the 80’s I use to drink Mynor Gi Lime cordial. I found Cottees wasn’t that great but about 10 years ago I discovered Diet Rite cordial. No added sugar and the Lime flavour is delicious (at least compared to all the other diet cordials I’ve tried over the years) as is the Strawberry and Guava…it’s a great drink on a summers days.
So yes, I’d suggest you try Diet Rite :+1:

5 Likes

I used to drink it in the 70’s too, although now I wonder exactly what chemicals they used to make it so green!

4 Likes

Seems to me that Cottee’s is just slipping further and further. For many decades, since childhood, I enjoyed their cordials. After they moved to the more concentrated 1 litre bottles, they replaced all the natural sugar with a (imho, disgusting) chemical cocktail of sweeteners.

I have no problem with them providing both a sugar and non-sugar version, as they had done for many years before, but they mixed the chemicals into even the sugar-containing versions. They no longer taste like they used to, so I used up the couple of containers I’d bought by mixing them with other brands’ cordials to mask the sweeteners. Cottee’s failed to provide any decent reasons as to why they had converted all products from sugar to the chemical cocktail.

For me, Strawberry Bliss was the last good-tasting cordial they produced:

3 Likes

We are now well in the process of trying Diet Rite Lime and all is looking good. Spoke to a few friends who were using Cottee’s cordial and i informed them of what Cottee’s have been doing of late and they were not impressed especially with summer coming on. They are now looking at Diet Rite as a replacement cordial.

6 Likes