Cottee's No Added Sugar Cordial

Trouble is that Diet Rite has more calories and less taste. You will use more of it to get a bit of flavour.

3 Likes

Another option if one likes lime or lemon cordial, is to cut a slice of lime/lemon and place this in a glass of water. It adds a subtle flavour without any extra ingredients.

This is what we do…or make our own when our trees are producing with 100% juice only. The taste is different, less needed but very refreshing.

4 Likes

Everyone to there own, but for us we only use the Diet Rite Lime which is 1 calorie more than the Cottee’s cordial and we mix at a lower rate (around 70%) than what the directions state. So for us we are happy and that’s what’s important.

6 Likes

Interesting that the old one was promoting it being ‘sugar free’ but it contained sugars (0.3g) where as the new one doesn’t contain any sugar. But the new one contains dietary fibre? And the sodium is more in the new one than the old one. I wonder if the sodium content makes you drink more?

3 Likes

That would have been my thought also.
Reminds me of the old days when I worked in a pub and we would have salted peanuts on the counter, but we were instructed to make sure we added extra salt to the bowl before placing it on the counter.

4 Likes

Hi efor,
I have been having conversations with Cottees via FB on the same issue. I think it is sneaky of them to go from 1 part in 11 to 1 part in 7. It is now more dilute so you have to use more to get the taste you like. They argue that they have carried out market research and consumers had trouble using the double strength so this is why they have done it because consumers wanted it more dilute. Pretty crappy market research (if actually done) in my opinion. I asked how many people actually measure out 1 part cordial to 11 (or 7 now) parts water and also how would this change make it easier? I challenged their transparency on this because no where have they actually informed the customer that they are now paying for more water and less cordial. But they insist that us (stupid) customers have requested this. I checked the prices today in a local Woolworths store and their standard price was $4.20 per Litre with both the sugar version and the non-sugar version stating 1 part to 7 on the label. The owner of Cottees is Asahi Beverages from Japan. I wasn’t able to locate details of the composition of the cordial on their website although on Campbells wholesaler website it says the1 litre makes up 40 X 250ml servings which is the 1 part to 10 parts water and of course now out of date.

Well just did some shopping in Woolworths the other day and nearly all the cordial was gone, but to my surprise there was Cottee’s Lime cordial at $2.50 a bottle which is cheaper than my cordial ( Diet Rite ).
Returned 2 days later ( as i forgot something ) and there was about the same amount of Cottee’s Lime Cordial on the shelves as before with no other cordial to be seen.
Maybe this could be a bit of KARMA for Cottee’s, one would hope so.

1 Like

Pretty sure cordial is on the list of things millennials are killing anyway, so enjoy it in any form while it lasts :smiling_imp:

Pretty sure I have never actually purchased cordial in my entire adult life, its way too uncool. We like our beverages fizzy, and tasting like they saw a piece of fruit in an art gallery once upon a time… :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes