Continuing forum problems

After the DDOS lockout recently was tidied up I am still getting regular problems.

When I am editing anything I frequently get the “Someone else is editing - reload or ignore” error. Less often I will click a topic and get the rotating circle while nothing happens for quite a while.

3 Likes

Me, too! And I’ve just seen both of these today.

The “draft is being edited in another window” message comes up quite often. Just cancelling it seems to work. The spinning circle eventually followed by saying the topic can’t be accessed is less common. Retry usually works.

3 Likes

I click ‘reload’ and it does reappear but sans the last paragraph.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen it do that, but I always just hit Ignore. Reload is probably going back to the most recently cached text, so you’d lose anything you typed since it last saved.

4 Likes

I ‘ignore’ and it doesn’t seem to get rid of what I had typed just prior to the problem.

CHOICE IT staff have been putting in place some fixes, and at least the site seems usable to a greater degree than during and just after the DDOS attack. It is not clear that the site is still under attack or if that issue has been resolved. If still under attack then the site usability is good in my opinion considering what we could be suffering but it could be better. If the site is no longer subject to the attack, then these issues are indicating some serious front-end and/or back-end problems causing the site to be less functional than it should be.

4 Likes

Ditto, do, same here, ……

I just hit ignore finding reload frustrating loosing the last few words or lines of thought.
Mostly comes good, but not always. Discourse randomly changes between PC full screen mode and compact device display modes.

4 Likes

I have found the same message appearing from time to time while the posting window is open. It may be when the browser/website autosave posts during drafting.

3 Likes

All systems have niggles. I just select ignore and carry on with my post.

Pretty sure the Choice admins are looking at the issue. It could be a Discourse software issue, to be addressed by them. Or maybe just some timing/timeout issue that can be tuned.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know folks, we’ve noticed a few of these issues occurring - my apologies for the errors. We are conducting some site upgrades tonight that we hope will resolve the problems.

6 Likes

Hope springs eternal :grinning:

1 Like

BTW, I’ve seen some “Draft is being edited in another window” messages this morning.

Not necessarily related, but relevant to the original DOS attack, is this new type of DOS attack …

Well, ‘new’ in the sense of newly discovered / noticed. The exploit mechanism is just another variation on memory overflow.

The new CONTINUATION Flood vulnerabilities were discovered by researcher Barket Nowotarski, who says that it relates to the use of HTTP/2 CONTINUATION frames, which are not properly limited or checked in many implementations of the protocol.

… The researcher warned that out of memory conditions could lead to server crashes using a single HTTP/2 TCP connection in some implementations.

“Out of Memory [OOM] are probably the most boring yet severe cases. There is nothing special about it: no strange logic, no interesting race condition and so on,” Nowotarski explains.

“The implementations that allow OOM simply did not limit the size of headers list built using CONTINUATION frames.”

2 Likes

Here’s a first! I got a “504” message (no other text, just an OK button) after a delay when attempting to submit a reply. The second submit attempt worked.

Haven’t seen that message before.

2 Likes

Errors have been 404s, 502s, 504s and I have seen a few 505 thrown in which seems strange as it is saying that my HTTP version request is higher than the one the server is able to support. Most of the errors revolve around the too busy, bad/busy gateways or timeouts and the 404 can’t find the page one. This continues to make me think it is still an attack, as they are still showing the server/servers are still struggling with traffic.

2 Likes

Seems the system looks good to me today. No problem posting this, or reading the latest posts.

3 Likes

New problem since yesterday afternoon on my iPhone, some of the icons/symbols on the Choice community website have disappeared, as you can see there’s no pics of the Looking glass etc on top, and no reply arrow, ‘like heart’ etc. at the end of the post although the function is still there if the place where it used to appear is clicked, the drop down menu does show. But I’d hate to go blindly and ‘flag’ a post instead of ‘liking’ it.

It happened while I was drafting a post yesterday and a lot of ‘reload ignore errors’ were happening.
Cleared History and Data. Logged off the community. Turned off the ‘power’ during the night, to no avail. Any ideas, please?
Wonder if it’s ‘my device problem’ or ‘continuing forum problems’?

5 Likes

I was just creating (only minutes before this post) a message to another user and the site refreshed it and deleted the post, further it then went to a new topic creation box…very weird.

5 Likes

I was also drafting a reply when there was a message about editing and to refresh. But i only lost the last line or so of my post. Im on Android phone

1 Like

Could someone tell me how to start a new topic. The site lets me reply to existing forums but I can’t find how to start a new topic. Thanks.

2 Likes

One way to get there

Go to ‘Menu’ (Hamburger icon, the 3 minus signs one under the other) then select ‘Topics’ and at the top you should see a bar with ‘+ New Topic’ in it. Click that, enter the title of the topic you would like to create, select the topic area which on creation will be ‘General’ but there should be a better topic area choice for you. Select any tags that you may wish to add. Then it is just a matter of writing/typing what you want to say, then when finished click the ‘+ Create Topic’ bar at the bottom of the entry box.

Another very similar way is to click the Menu hamburger and choose one of the categories in the ‘Categories’ section and at the top of the category will be the ‘+ New Topic’ button, clicking that bar in a category section will already fill the topic area in with the category you are in.

1 Like

Thank you. these things are always easy when you know how!

3 Likes