Company without an address or phone number

Having bought a TomTom sports watch which is now non-functioning, I would like to call them to discuss the matter. However they do not have an address or phone number in their contact details, only a chat with a bot which is not the most illuminating experience. Where can I find their phone number?

2 Likes

Hi @DickyTicker, welcome to the community.

Do you have the name of the company or the website that you bought the TomTom from?

Some online companies don’t publish their phone numbers as they don’t want consumers to know for various reasons. It is because they are an overseas company masquerading as an Australian company, they don’t want to be phoned in the event of a problem through to a scam/sham website.

If you provide the name of the company or the website address, it might allow members to see if they can find contact details for you.

I personally avoid websites which don’t disclose contact information such as phone numbers and addresses. The reason being is websites that only have chatbots are run by scammers and it is often hard to know who is legitimate or not. Having the additional information can allow searches to be undertaken to determine if the business is genuine.

5 Likes

Do a search for the business via your browser (eg Google).

If you would like to share more information about the business, perhaps some of our community members can assist you.

4 Likes

If you bought it from a retailer the retailer should be your first point of call as they ‘own’ the warranty and your rights under the ACL. If you bought it direct from TomTom there may be more useful contact information on the warranty card?

Many chat bots will connect one to a human on ‘need agent’ or something similar.

edit: from the TomTom ‘contact’ page

5 Likes

The website is Tomtom.com. I bought the watch directly from them. It’s not a scam website, Tomtom just doesn’t want to provide any customer service.

4 Likes

TomTom is one of many companies, often very large well known ones, that put barriers between customers and their support staff in the name of DIY solutions being foisted on their customers (eg pointing at knowledge bases and videos), and their real priority, minimising their support expenses.

They are quite clear about how to contact support through their irritating chatbot, and are sadly not alone in the hurdles.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve been through all of that going round in circles as it keeps offering me documents to read I’ve already read. When I ask to be connected to a human it says it doesn’t understand.

2 Likes

I’ve been conversing with their online help desk, who take three days to reply to each email. That’s why I would like to chat with someone.

3 Likes

Not exactly satisfying.

I’ll agree that is pathetic. Based on a few interactions with their web site it might be there is no Australian number and you might try a VPN in the US or EU - although you might get the same response or a US or EU number :expressionless:

Have you asked them to ring you?

Another thing you might try is a message using their social media presence such as

and avoid expressing frustration. They could ignore or fob you off, or provide some better help if you explain the impasse and what you need from them.

4 Likes

I will ask them to ring me and see what happens. And I’ll enquire on Facebook. Many thanks for your ideas.

3 Likes

You can also write a review on Trustpilot or similar, stating how unreliable their product is, and how useless their customer support is. I’ve found that often produces a quick response!

2 Likes

Chuckles. It appears they care, deeply. :frowning:

Not the product in question but the company gets similar comments.

Google can translate service and support into Dutch, as if English is not commonplace there, service en ondersteuning, but Tomtom as a company seems oblivious to the concepts let alone the execution, unless service and support division was ‘executed’ all but completely out of existence.

2 Likes

I love the bloke who had a complaint that wasn’t being heard who went to facebook to tell them. Tomtom make a new post to FB regularly with stuff they want the public to know - mainly self-promotion. The complainer copy/pasted his complaint as a reply to every Tomtom post going back weeks. They replied to him.

5 Likes

Having now read a few of the customer posts on FB it would surprise if their reply resulted in an actual exchange with their customer, although a precious few look like they might (not will) try to help the customer.

Getting customer service/support appears to be the ‘free game’ that comes with each Tomtom product. None of this bodes well for @DickyTicker.

3 Likes

I must try this

1 Like

Don’t waste your time.

2 Likes

Agreed. I also look for an ABN in the contact details or at bottom of website. Can then verify with abn lookup website. Too many scams these days

1 Like

Take care though, some scam companies do have an ABN or steal the ABN and other details from real companies. There is no single item that you can look up that tells you for sure is a company is genuine. See this thread for examples.

3 Likes