Comfort foods- Recipes that are prepared easily

EASY SOUP RECIPE

I had to prepare some soup for some fishing buddies recently . I had not gone fishing with them ,too cold , but they had advised me they would be dropping in around 10 PM . I thought I might do some soup to warm them up but I looked in the pantry and only found one can . Would have to bulk it up a bit .

INGREDIENTS

• 1 Can of Campbell’s Chunky Irish Stew Style soup 505 g

• 3 litres of Beef Stock . I used Campbell’s .

• 5 Baby Charisma Potatoes peeled and quartered .

• 4 Shallots . Top and tailed and peeled .

• 1/2 cup of grated carrot .

• 1 Cup of Pasta . I used Vetta Vegetable Twist #89 ( weird name )

• 4 Swiss Brown small mushrooms quartered .

• Hoyts Italian Herb Mix . 2 teaspoons

• Hoyts Dried chives . 1 teaspoon

• Tumeric . 1 teaspoon .

• Mon Tomato Sauce 1 tablespoon .

• Fresh cracked black pepper to taste .

PREPARATION

• You will need a stock pot of at least 5 litres and medium sized saucepan .

• Fill the saucepan with water and bring to the boil . Add the potatoes and shallots .

• Add the can of soup and the 3 litres of beef stock to the stock pot and put on a low , I mean low , heat and stir thoroughly .

• When the sauce pan comes to the boil turn heat back and simmer potatoes and shallots for 3 - 4 minutes . You need them to be par boiled .

• Drain the sauce pan’s contents into a colander and add to the stock pot . Increase the heat on the stock pot to medium low and stir well .

• Add the carrot , mushrooms .

• Add the Pasta . Stir well .

• Add the tablespoon of Mon Tomato Sauce .

• Add 1 teaspoon of each of the following . Turmeric , Chives

• Add 2 teaspoons of the Hoyts Italian herb mix .

• Stir stock pot contents regularly .

• Add cracked black pepper to taste .

• If mixture in stock pot looks like boiling turn back the heat . Simmer for around 20 minutes then with a spoon or ladle scoop out a piece of potato . Test it with a skewer or fork . If soft soup is done .

Ladle into soup bowls and serve with buttered toast . Any soup left over can be frozen for a meal in the future .

Cheers

ENJOY

4 Likes

Quick and easy lentils and pasta soup

Ingredients:
200g canned Lentils,
4 tbsp Oil,
4 tbsp Passata,
2 small Garlic cloves,
One or two Bay leaves,
1 Litre Water or Veg. Stock
80g Small Pasta (Ditali, Small shells…)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Preparation:
In a 2 Litre saucepan sauté oil and garlic, and stir in the passata.

Add well rinsed and drained lentils.

Add boiling water ( or boiling veg. stock if you prefer), bay leaves, salt and pepper.

Bring to the boil, and add the pasta,
turn heat down to a gentle bubbling,
stirring frequently, and cook for about 10 minutes or until pasta is ‘al dente’.

Remove garlic and bay leaves.

Serve hot.

Bon Appettit!

5 Likes

A TASTY EASILY PREPARED SOUP

A recipe for soup that is warming on the cold winter days . All ingredients are readily available at your supermarkets . Takes a little time but well worth the effort .

INGREDIENTS

• 3 x 1 litre of Campbell’s Beef stock .

• Can of Ardmona Peeled Tomatoes .

• 1 cup of peas .I used Coles Australia frozen .

• 1 cup of Corn kernels . I used Coles Australian Frozen .

• 8 rashes of bacon . Local Deli . Cut into approximately 20mm squares .

• 5 shallots . Peeled and diced .

• 1/2 cup of pasta . I used Vetta High Protein Spirals from Coles .

• 1 teaspoon of Turmeric . Used Hoyts .

• 1 teaspoon of Garam Masala . Used Hoyts .

• 3 teaspoons of Hoyts Italian Herb Mix .

• 1 small sweet potato . Peeled and diced .

• 5 baby Charisma Potatoes . Peeled and diced .

• 1/2 Carrot finely grated .

• Freshly cracked black peppercorns to taste.

• Cooking oil . I used Cobram Estates EVOO Robust .

PREPARATION

• Take a fry pan or skillet and add 1 table spoon of cooking oil . Add bacon and shallots and cook at a medium heat . Stir occasionally .

• Take a sauce pan and bring to the boil and add the potatoes and sweet potatoes . Lightly salt the water . Bring back to the boil and turn down to simmer for 3 - 4 minutes . Pour contents of sauce pan into a colander and put aside .

• Take a stock pot . I used a Chef Inox 8 litre but a 4 litre up would do fine . Add the Campbell’s Beef stock and put on a low heat .

• Add the par boiled potatoes, sweet potatoes and grated carrot to the stock pot .

• The bacon and shallots should be cooked now . Low and slow when you do these . Add them to the stock pot .OPTIONAL Deglaze the the fry pan with some white wine or white vinegar and add to stock pot .

• Add the can of peeled tomatoes to the stock pot . I took a potato masher and broke them up . Leave whole if you choose . They will cook down .

• Increase the heat to medium under the stock pot .

• Add the Peas and Corn kernels and give a good stir .

• Add the pasta .

• Add your Turmeric , Garam Masala and Italian Herb Mix .

• Stir well . Pepper to taste .

• Increase heat to just under the boil .

• Stir often . Watch that the stock pot does not boil . A vigorous simmer is the go here .

• Cook for 40 - 60 minutes . Stir often but do not let boil .

• Take a spoon or soup ladle and dip into the stock put and if the potatoes and peas are cooked soup will be ready to serve .

• Ladle into serving dishes . I used a finely chopped spring onion to garnish but suit yourself here .

• Any extra soup can be frozen in containers for meals at a later date .

Cheers

ENJOY

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Fred’s Recipes

Minestrone soup with Pesto sauce.

This soup does not start with the usual sauté base, this time the vegetables are cooked in the pot in a seemingly boring way but the soup gets its flavour and aroma from the sauce made with fragrant, fresh basil leaves: Pesto.

Minestrone can be made with any veggies we prefer or are available according to the season, and beans and pasta or rice can be added.
The following recipe is just one of the many ways.

Ingredients:

150g Green beans.
150g Peas.
50g Small carrots.
150g Small zucchini.
2 Med. potatoes.
1 Med. onion.
2 Small celery stalks.
1 Small bunch of silver beet.
2-3 Peeled and seeded tomatoes.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Wash, peel, chop veggies in small cubes (of the same size as much as possible).
Place in a large pot, add as much water to cover 2-3 inches above the veggies.
Add seasoning.
Bring to the boil, turn heat down to a gentle simmer for about 50-60 minutes.
If required add more liquid as the soup cooks.
2 minutes before turning off the heat,
stir in a few tablespoons of Pesto.

Top the individual bowls with a teaspoon of pesto and extra Parmesan.

Pesto sauce:

50g Basil leaves, washed but well dried because any moisture will alter taste and colour.

1/4 cup Evoo, Light is best, not too intense.

2 Garlic cloves.

6 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese.

Pinch of cooking salt.

1 tbsp. pine nuts (optional in soups).

Place ingredients, minus the cheese,
in a Blender. Use the Pulse function to blend in short bursts, to avoid the herb getting warm and turning black.
Blend to a creamy texture. Add Parmesan, mix by hand.

Any leftover pesto can be stored in a sealed jar for about 7-10 days, in the fridge.

Bon Appetit!

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Fred’s Recipes

A quick and tasty winter soup:
Cauliflower and pasta soup.

Ingredients:
1 Med. Cauliflower.
1 Garlic clove.
1/2 Bunch of Continental Parsley.
5 Anchovies fillets (oil-preserved).
4 Tbsp Oil.
2 Tbsp Passata.
200ml Fish stock.
300g small pasta.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Grated Parmesan cheese.

Preparation:

Wash the cauliflower and cut into small florets, leave to drain.

Very finely hand-chop parsley and garlic.

In a med. saucepan heat the oil, add the anchovies, parsley, and garlic, and keep stirring until the fillets liquify.

Add in the Passata, cook for a minute.

Add the florets and the stock, and season to taste, remembering that the anchovies are already a little salty.

Cover the saucepan and let cook at a gentle simmer for about 20 m.

Add the small pasta and more liquid if needed. Cook until al dente.

Serve with grated Parmesan and a little chopped parsley on top.

Bon Appetit.

4 Likes

An easy lunch meal.

INGREDIENTS.

• Pack of Gotzinger Bratwurst sausages.
  • Pack of Coles Finest By Laurent White Sourdough Rolls
  • 2 onions, peeled, cut in half, and sliced thinly.
  • Masterfoods French Mustard.
  • Butter.
  • Red Kellys Sweet Chilli & Lime Dressing.

METHOD

• Grill onions until soft.
  • Grill bratwursts until lightly browned.
  • Cut rolls lenghtways and toast lightly on BBQ grid.
  • Butter and spread mustard on rolls, add onions and sausages, and pour some dressing on top.

The dressing is a good substitude for sauerkraut.

Gotzinger Bratwurst are stocked at Woollies and our local Supa IGA but not at Coles.

As we are not big eaters, my wife and I share one roll for lunch.

3 Likes

Sometimes we will eat a food that will take us back to a better time in life . Things were simpler and we looked forward to what was ahead of us with an enthusiasm that bordered oh childish . I used to go fishing with my grandfather to the estuary of the Werribee River .

We would usually catch a few Bream and Flathead . He always packed some bread , tasty cheese and some gherkins . At around dusk he would gather some wood and make a fire . He would put a hot plate over it and toast the Cheese and Gherkin sandwiches on it and make a billie of tea . To me it could not have tasted better if I was eating at a 3 star Michelin Restaurant .

When lock down is over in Victoria I’m going to drive down to the estuary of the river . I will take my billie , portable stove , some Gherkins , bread and tasty cheese and cook up a delight that will take me back to a better time when things were slower and I could look ahead with so much enthusiasm . I really miss those trips with Pa .

6 Likes

I like things I can just “bing” in the microwave oven. So one of my favourites is the following:

Half a brown onion sliced and then slices halved (or even finely diced if you want but thats all extra work). The onion gets done in the mw for a minute, in butter. Drop in a small can of tuna (the chunks work best, rather than sandwich), some frozen peas, half a can of diced tomato, cook for 5 minutes in the microwave. If you have those little pots of rice, you can do 40 secs in the mw. I use basmati. (But not so much anymore because my BGL hates it)… a small potato also works. Again, a short “bing” in the microwave. Total time from start to finish is around 20 minutes. Oh yeah, top it with shredded cheese of whichever taste you prefer. And some sour cream.

4 Likes

As the lock down continues in Melbourne you have time to think back on the good ,also the bad , memories in your life .

I was 20 years old at the time and purchased a brand new Toyota Corolla Van for $2300 and joined a Courier company . I’m now 67 going on 68 . One of my fondest memories back when I was 20 was looking at the clock and if it was around midday and I was in the South Melbourne area calling in on the radio that I would be out of the vehicle to get some lunch .

I had discovered a tiny shop off Eastern Road and Stead St South Melbourne where the elderly lady that owned it ( She looked old to me then but everybody does when you are 20 ) made the best sandwiches , in my opinion , in Melbourne .

I would park opposite the shop .It was actually a house with the front rooms converted to a small "food to go " shop . She would be preparing my favourite sandwiches , Tasty cheese and cucumber with mayo on fresh white bread with a dusting of black pepper . If it was a hot day she would give me a drink , usually Fanta , on the house . I would go back to the van and could not wait to open the brown paper bag and savour the first bite .

Yesterday after doing some gardening I went to the local bakery , within the 5 Km limit we can travel , asked for the freshest white loaf they had . Went to Coles and purchased some Mayo (Praise ) Bega Cheese slices and some cucumbers . I returned home and made my favourite sandwiches .

I had one thought when I took my first bite "Where did all the years go ? "

I think if you are in Melbourne at the moment think of the good times you had . They will help you get through the bad .

6 Likes

Quick Margherita Pizza.

Ingredients:

4 slices sandwich bread.
4 tsp tomato purée.
8 tbsp shredded mozzarella or any
melting cheese you prefer.
8 basil leaves.
Drizzle of Evoo

Place bread slices close to each other to form a square, on a baking tray lined with baking paper.

Thinly spread each slice with the tomato purée (or any thick tomato sauce you like).
Season to taste and drizzle with oil.
Top with the shredded cheese, and garnish with basil leaves. A final little oil drizzle on top and around the edges.

Place in Hot oven until the cheese starts to bubble and turns golden.

Bon Appetit !

3 Likes

GRILLED TOMATOES TOPPED WITH CHEESE AND SEASONED BREAD CRUMBS

A tasty easy to prepare snack . I prepared them under the griller ( broiler for our American friends ) but can also be prepared in a normal oven .

INGREDIENTS

• 5 Tomatoes . Ripe but firm .

• Bread crumbs .I used Coles .

• Seasoning . I used Hoyts Italian Herb Mix

• Cheese . I used Bega Tasty cut into small slices . Grated cheese would work too .

PREPARATION

• Cut the tomatoes into halves and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper . Makes clean up easier if you use the paper .

• Cut up your cheese and place on a plate .

• Take a snap lock cooking bag and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bread crumbs to it . Add 1 teaspoon of the herb mix . Seal and give a good shake .

• Place the tomatoes under the griller for about 2 - 3 minutes .

• Slide the tray out and add the bread crumbs and top with the cheese .

• Cook until cheese starts to bubble .

• Remove from griller and place on a serving dish .

Cheers

ENJOY

5 Likes

… nearly everything is better with this … nearly … I usually buy it 6 bags at a time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Traditional Mediterranean summer dish: Baked Stuffed Tomatoes with Rice.

INGREDIENTS:

6 Ripe Large Round Tomatoes.

1 Cup Uncooked Rice.

1 Garlic Clove, crushed.

Small bunch Parsley or Basil or any herb you prefer, Finely Chopped.

Evoo.

Salt and Pepper.

PREPARATION:

Rinse and dry the Tomatoes.

Cut off about 1/4 of the top part and put aside to be used as lids.

Scoop out the pulp into a bowl, place tomatoes upside down to drain and sieve the pulp to remove the seeds.

Add the rinsed-out Rice to the pulp, and the garlic and herbs, a few Tbsps of Evoo and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.

Spoon the rice mixture into the tomatoes, up to 1/2 - 2/3, leaving space for the rice to swell-up when cooked.
Place the cut ‘lids’ on the tomatoes.

Arrange in a baking dish with high sides, and if you wish, fill the spaces between the tomatoes and all around with well seasoned potato wedges.

Drizzle generously with Evoo.

Place in pre-heated 180C oven for about one hour, or until rice is well cooked.

Can be served hot or cold with a crisp salad.

Bon Appetit!

4 Likes

Quick and Easy Lasagne.

We don’t always have the time to cook those luscious stacked layers of fresh pasta immersed in rich tomato sauce and in Béchamel sauce.
But we could compromise and cut the cooking time while retaining the texture and flavour of lasagne.

We start by using no-pre-cooking lasagne sheets, instead of rolling- out home made fresh pasta, and so we can avoid the pasta sticking together while cooking and scalding our fingers when we try to unfold and layer it.
We only have to remember to make our sauces a bit more liquid so the pasta can soak up more moisture.

We could also buy ready made tomato sauce, and white sauce.

And to avoid washing- up we can use a foil baking dish, and envelope it in a large oven bag to keep our oven spatter free.

Ingredients:

250g no-pre-cooking lasagne.
400ml any tomato sauce you prefer, ragù or vegetarian.
500ml Béchamel.
(If the sauces are ready-made, a bit more liquid should be added, for the pasta to soak up.)
Sprinkle of Nutmeg.
Few tablespoons grated cheese.

Preparation:
In a 350x250 aluminium foil baking dish start by spooning-in the tomato sauce, spreading it well to the corners of the pan, and a little of the white sauce on top.
Next: layer the thin pasta squares and spread both sauces on top.
Keep going and finish with the Béchamel, and the grated cheese.

Place foil baking dish inside a large oven bag.
To make it more stable and safer place the foil container on top of an oven tray.

Place in preheated oven 200C,
for 30 min or until golden brown on top.

Bon Appetit!

4 Likes

No mince?

2 Likes

Ragù is actually meat based, Fred.
The sauce can be Bolognese if you like, or vegetarian for those who might prefer. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I missed that part.

3 Likes

Some might like the opportunity to include some layers of thinly sliced zucchini, carrot, spinach, tomato or other choice of vegetables. While alternatives not usually consumed raw are less convenient, EG egg plant and others would need to be pre-baked for flavour or nuked.

2 Likes