Comfort foods- Recipes that are prepared easily

Tomato soup made from canned tomatoes.

If mature red tomatoes are not available, or we haven’t the time or the inclination to peel and seed our tomatoes from scratch, canned ones are a quick and easy way to make our soup.

Ingredients:

1 400g Can of peeled, whole tomatoes.

1/2 Onion.

1 Bay leaf.

Parsley or Basil or any herbs you like.

Salt and Pepper to taste.

Knob of butter, or fresh cream, or grated cheese.

Fried Croutons (optional).

Preparation:

In a saucepan let the tomatoes, onion, bay leaf, salt and pepper, simmer until
liquid is reduced, stirring frequently.

Whizz in a Blender until smooth ( don’t forget to fish out the bay leaf first).

Pour back into the saucepan and add as much boiling water or veg. stock depending on how thick or thin you like your soup. Return to the boil and simmer for a few minutes.
Serve hot.
Pour into soup bowls and top
with croutons and knob of butter or whipped cream or Parmesan, and with any herb you prefer.

Croutons:

Slices of stale bread cut in small pieces, usually cubes, but any small shape is good. If you only have fresh bread, make it dry out in the oven for a few minutes first, before frying.
In a pan with a little oil and any dried herbs and spices you like, let the bread brown over high heat, turning frequently so that it doesn’t burn, until crisp and golden brown on all sides.
Add to soup.

Bon Appetit!

6 Likes

Fried Spam Balls

Was given a couple of cans of Spam Classic flavour recently and remembered an old recipe we often put together while camping . Inspired by Kent Rollins .

INGREDIENTS

• Can of Spam Classic grated.

• 1/3 cup of Mayonnaise .

• 1/2 Cup of Red onion minced

• 2 cloves of Garlic minced . If using dry garlic flakes about 1/2 teaspoon .

• 3/4 Cup of coarsely grated Cheddar Cheese

• 2 large eggs beaten for an egg wash for the balls . I had no eggs on hand so I used Farm Pride Powdered Egg . 3 Table spoons added to 80 ml of water makes a good egg wash .

• 1 Gherkin finely chopped ( optional )

• 250 gr of dried bread crumbs (I used Coles ) and a tray to add them to for rolling the balls in .

• A pot for deep frying . I used my 30cm Cast Iron Dutch oven . I used Canola Oil for frying . It is handy to have a frying thermometer to clip on the side of the fryer and immerse in the oil. 175 c or 350 F is the best temp to fry at .

PREPARATION

• Add the Spam ,Cheese , Onion , Garlic and Gherkin to a medium to large mixing bowl .

• Slowly pour the Mayonnaise in mixing it thoroughly .

• When the mixture balls together with your hands roll 8 -10 meatballs . Roughly golf ball sized .

• Coat them in your egg wash and roll them in the bread crumbs . Make sure you get a good even coat on them .

• Carefully add them to the preheated oil one at a time . Probably will take 2 to 3 batches . Don’t put too many in the oil as it won’t hold it’s heat .

• Fry them for around 4-5 minutes or until golden brown .

• Remove them from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain .

Serve them with mashed potatoes or your favourite vegetables .

Cheers

ENJOY

6 Likes

EASY MINCED BEEF AND VEGETABLE POCKETS (PASTIES)

An easy tasty recipe that was passed down to me from my American grandmother . I have brought it up to date by the use of pre packed food .

INGREDIENTS

• 500g of Lean minced beef . I used Coles * 4 star lean pre pack .

• 1 KG Of Coles* Australian Vegetable Mix Snap frozen . You will use 500 g of this . It is a good mix as it contains corn , potato , green beans , carrot and peas.

• Fillo pastry sheets . I used Antonio’s Pre chilled sheets from Coles *

• 1/2 a small onion finely grated .

• Extra Virgin Olive oil to brush between the layers of Fillo pastry . You can also use melted butter or Ghee if you wish .

• Herbs to taste . I used Hoytts Italian herb mix as it contains the herbs I like and just the right amount of garlic .

• Freshly ground black pepper corns . Could use white pepper if you prefer .

PREPARTION

• Take a large saucepan and bring to the boil .

• Whilst the water is coming to the boil heat up your skillet ( I use a Crofton 28cm cast iron from Aldi’s ) or frypan .

• Add about 2 tablespoons of Olive oil or your favourite cooking oil and add the meat and the grated onion to the skillet. Stir gently . You have to cook the meat down to a dry mix hence the reason I used lean beef . If too much fat comes off the meat whilst cooking carefully pour it off into a small basin .

• When the water comes to the boil in the saucepan add the frozen vegetables . Bring back to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes .

• When the meat onion mix is thoroughly cooked take it off the heat and spoon into a large mixing bowl .

• When the vegetables are cooked drain them well in a colander and add them to the bowl with the meat onion mix . Mix in well together with a spoon or spatula .

• Pre heat oven to 175 C

• Take out your Fillo pastry .

• Place the Fillo pastry sheets on your cutting board or a clean surface . I use a silcone pastry mat that fits perfectly on my 24" x 18 " board .

• You will need 3 sheets per pocket . There are usually between 18-22 sheets per pack so set your sights on 6 pockets .

• Lay the first sheet flat and brush with olive oil . melted butter or Ghee . Place another sheet on top and brush again . Place last shhet and brush with oil .

• Add 1 -2 Teaspoons of Hoytts Herb Mix to the basin with the mince and vegetables . Mix in well . Add pepper to taste and mix in well .

• Spoon the mince vegetable mix to the centre of the fillo pastry . Fold over so as to make a square . Press the sides of the Fillo down with a fork and trim with scissors if need be . Remember to poke some holes in the top of the pockets with a fork or meat skewer to let out ant steam whilst in oven .

• Take an oven tray and line with baking paper . I use Multix baking paper . Place the pockets on the baking tray and add to the middle of the oven .

• Cook for around 15 -20 minutes or until pastry is a golden brown . Don’t over cook as the ingredients are already cooked so are just just being reheated .

• You will probably have some mince meat vegetable mix left over . Put it in a container and into the fridge , It makes a great snack when added to a couple of pieces of toast .

Cheers

ENJOY

• You notice most of the ingredients I use are from Coles . Due to road works in my area and the traffic delays involved Woolworth’s takes too long to drive to .
6 Likes

With winter approaching, a great one is a Chilean Cazuela (pronounced caswella). When we travelled to Chile a few years ago, it was a delicious and warming dish and can be made cheaply with chicken legs and seasonal vegetables. It is served in high end restaurants to corner cafes/diners.

With a crusty or toasted bread with garlic butter, it is perfect.

There are many recipes available online if one searches Chile Cazuela.

Note: It does taste better when one makes their own stock.

4 Likes

Lumache (snails) the Roman way

Dating back from prehistoric times snails were part of the human diet, discarded shells were found among Stone Age tools in pits used for cooking thousands of years ago.
( Could one of the reasons be that they are so easy to catch? :wink:)
This food was known to ancient Greeks and Romans as we learn from the ancient texts. The Romans would serve snails in Garum sauce, a liquid fish sauce, which probably accounts for the modern Roman way of using anchovies in the sauce.
It’s a food rich in protein and minerals and without any saturated fat.

In case we wish to cook snails which we have ‘caught’ ourselves in our back yard, here’s what to do:

Purge:
Place snails in a large container covered with mesh and make available some bran or cornmeal for them to eat,
for about 5-6 days.

Clean:
Place snails in a mesh covered container filled with cold salted water.
Renew water frequently until scum is eliminated, usually 1-2 hours. Discard any dead ones. Clean outside of shells to get rid of all dirt.

Precook:
Place snails in a large pot of cold salted water and cover with lid. Bring to the boil and cook for about 15m.
Use a skimming spoon to remove scum. Drain.
Remove digestive tracts ( black part) from each one.
Keep the shells.

Make the sauce. (The Roman way, the way my grandmother used to make.)

Ingredients:
32-40 snails. (To serve 4)
2 tbsp oil
2 garlic cloves
5 anchovies fillets
400g fresh ripe tomatoes peeled and
seeds removed, or whole canned
ones.
1 chilli pepper
small bunch fresh mint herb
salt and pepper to taste.

Method:
Brown the garlic in the oil and remove.
Add anchovies and let brown until melted into a paste. Add tomatoes and the finely chopped chilli and mint; and salt and pepper. Cook for 1/2 h.
Place snails back into the shells and add to the sauce. Cover with water and cook at low heat for about 2h. Keep adding some water if it dries out.
Serve hot.

Bon Appetit !

4 Likes

SPAM STIR FRY

A nice easy recipe using Spam Classic to get some wok action going .

INGREDIENTS

• Can of Spam Classic . Cut into cubes about the size of a gaming dice .

• Packet of stir fry vegetables . I used Coles Traditional Stir fry Mix . This mix is not frozen so cooks quicker . Great selection of vegies in it too .

• Rice 2 cups . I used SunRice White Long Grain . What ever suits you on this one .

• Spring onions . Around 4 stalks finely chopped .

• 1 egg . I used Farm Pride Powdered egg instead. Make up as per instructions on container .

• 2 tablespoons of oil to stir fry with . I used Sesame Seed oil because of low salt content . Again Vegetable oil or peanut oil would work . You may have to use more oil as cooking progresses .

PREPARATION

• Cook your rice . I use a Ronson Absorption rice cooker but use the method you prefer .

• When rice is cooked put aside in a bowl .

• Add 2 tablespoons of oil to your Wok or Skillet and add the cubed Spam . Cook on a medium high heat until slightly browned then empty spam from wok into a separate bowl than the rice.

• Add oil to the wok and add rice . I use an Arcosteel Carbon steel light weight Wok . Don’t know if they are still available but if they are grab one .

• After 2 minutes of stirring and flipping the rice in the wok add the stir fry vegetables and the spring onions and egg . Use the whole packet of Stir Fry Vegies . Stir and toss for around 5 minutes .

• Add the Spam and stir and toss for another 3 - 5 minutes .

• When done take off heat and empty Wok contents onto a serving dish .

I did not use Soy sauce in this recipe as it has a very high salt content . Up to you though .

Cheers

ENJOY

4 Likes

LAZY MAN’S PIZZA

A simple and easy pizza recipe using Lebanese Pitta bread . Inspired by Matt Sinclair

INGREDIENTS.

• 1 Pitta Flat bread . I buy mine at the local bakery . If you buy from the supermarket make sure the bread is at least 25cm’s (10 inches ) in diameter . Another thing to watch for from the supermarket offerings is the sodium ( salt ) content . It can be rather high .

• 1 large potato peeled and cut into thin , and I mean thin , slices .

• Parmesan Cheese . About half a cup of it grated . Do more if you like cheese .

• 1 red onion cut finely into rings .

• Rosemary and Garlic infused olive oil . I used Cobram Estates from Woolworths .

• Extra Virgin olive oil to wipe baking tray . Cobram Estates again .

• Freshly cracked Black pepper .

• Hoyts Italian herb mix .

PREPARATION

• Pre heat your oven to 175 C

• Take your baking try . I use a non stick pizza dish . They are a couple of bucks at Coles . Good investment . Cut baking paper , I use Multix , to size . Line the tray and drizzle some Extra Virgin Oilive oil on the baking paper .

• Place the Pitta bread on the lined tray and drizzle the Rosemary and Garlic infused olive oil over it .

• Add the thinly sliced potato . Add the onion . Add the cheese . Give it a good belt of the Infused Garlic and Rosemary oil .

• Give it a hit of the freshly ground peppercorns to taste and sprinkle a tea spoon of the Hoyts Italian Herb Mix on it .

• Place tray in centre of the oven and cook till bread starts to brown at the sides .

You can add various sauces and vegetables as well as mushrooms etc . You are only limited by your own imagination as to what toppings you use.

Cheers

ENJOY

3 Likes

We’ve been a fan for ever, especially when we feel time poor. The bases are so light compared to the more common store supplied heavy and thick American style bases. We just do any common topping as per everyday pizza.

The pitta also goes great with just some good olive oil, garlic and herbs or grated hard cheese for a crunchy alternative to garlic bread.

2 Likes

EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA.

Ingredients:

4 Med. eggplants (choose plump, shiny, dark purple coloured ones, with the part opposite the stem nice and round).

500 g Passata

250 g Mozzarella

20g Grated Parmesan

1 lightly beaten egg

Small amount plain flour

Few pinches of Oregano
or Vax fav: Hoyts It herb mix.
A few leaves of Basil.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Preparation:

Wash and cut the eggplants lengthwise in 5mm thick slices.
Eggplants have now been selected and bred to be more dry and less bitter, and it is not necessary to have them ‘under salt’ to let the bitter moisture drain. But if we wish we can sprinkle with salt and let them drain for 1/2 hour.

Coat each slice in the plain flour and dip into the lightly beaten egg. (Add some salt to the egg).
Fry in abundant oil of whatever type you prefer, until golden brown. Place on a plate covered with an absorbent paper towel.

In a lightly greased oven proof dish start with tomato sauce, then a layer of eggplants, then add the cheeses and herbs, until the finish with mozzarella and parmesan. And a few basil leaves on top.

Place in oven, preheated to 180C, until golden brown on top.

The traditional way of coating with flour and egg is usually skipped nowadays and the slices are often just placed under the grill or on a hot plate or just shallow fried.
It’s up to individual taste how we prefer our Parmigiana.

6 Likes

TASTY SAUSAGE ROLLS

An easy recipe that is an ideal snack for these cold winter days and nights .

INGREDIENTS

• 500g pack of Coles Lean beef mince . It has only 10% fat and you need to cook filling down to a dry mix .

• 1 packet of Coles Traditional stir fry Vegetables . They are not frozen , very low salt and wholly Australian grown . If you use these you may have to prep them using a mincing knife , often called a mezzaluna , to dice them into smaller portions . Any good knife or cleaver will do though . Pile them on your chopping board and rock and chop through about 4 times .

• Mon Tomato Sauce . Purchased at Woolworths . Again uses all Australian grown produce .

• Kikkoman Soy sauce . Optional but 1 teaspoon in the mix livens things up a bit .

• Freshly cracked black pepper . A sausage roll would not be the same without it .

• Antonio Filo pastry . You will need to layer 3 sheets on top of each other to get a nice fluffy pastry .

• Extra Virgin Olive Oil . I used my favourite Cobram Estates Robust . It is used to brush onto the Filo pastry when layering it

• Hoyts or Masterfood onion Flakes . 1 teaspoon of this . You can also finely dice or grate around 1/4 of a small onion .

PREPARATION

• Place your skillet or fry pan on the cook top and bring to a medium heat . Add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil , Cobram Estates Light olive oil in my case , and lift the skillet and tilt it to get an even covering on the cooking surface .

• Add the meat and get some stirring action going . Add 1 teaspoon of the dried onion flakes and 1 tablespoon of the Mon tomato sauce . Stir the mix thoroughly to get an even cook . Add the cracked black peppercorns to taste . I like pepper but don’t go over board .

• If too much fat comes off the mince meat pour it off into a small basin . Don’t tip it down the kitchen sink as it will solidify and may block your grey water pipes .

• When the mince has started to brown add the prepped stir fry vegetables . Mix them well through the mince and keep cooking for about 8 - 10 minutes gradually reducing the heat . I have a gas cook top but induction or electric may cook quicker .

• Take the mince mixture off the heat and put aside to cool or carefully spoon it into a basin to cool .

• Take your Filo pastry sheets and lay one on your chopping board or bench top . Coat it with Extra Virgin Oilve oil using a cooking brush and place another on top . Repeat again and coat the top to promote a good browning .

• The Filo sheets are roughly 300 x 410 mm in size so you will lay your mix across the 300 mm width . This gives 2 nice 150 mm ( 6 inch in the old measurement ) rolls .

• Carefully spoon the mix across the prepared Filo sheets . Start to roll the Filo over the mix . I roll over about 4 times to get a good fluffy pastry . Cut the Filo with a sharp knife and repeat the process .

• Cut the rolls into about 150 mm lengths and place on baking paper on a baking tray .

• Pre heat oven to around 175 C and place the tray in the middle of the oven . Cook till pastry is golden brown .

Any rolls that aren’t eaten at the time of cooking can be packed in freezer bags once cooled and frozen for future snacks

Cheers

ENJOY

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: [Food that makes us feel good and can it be healthy?]

Winter weather spells soup weather to me . If you have a favourite soup recipe it would really be great to see it posted here .

4 Likes

My favourite warm up soup is Clear Beef Broth:

Ingredients:
500g Beef brisket (or any cut of meat that can take long slow cooking).

1 large onion
2 med. carrots
4-5 outside stalks of celery
Bunch of continental parsley
3-4 Roma tomatoes
Few grains of black pepper
Salt to taste.

Preparation:
Rinse the meat in cold water, trim of excessive fat, if any.
In a 5lt pot place meat in about a litre of cold water (should be cold if you wish a good broth).
Bring to the boil and use a skimming spoon to remove all scum which forms on top.

Prepare, wash, and roughly chop veggies. Add to pot, and top up with about 3 lt of boiling water. Add seasoning.

Cover.

Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to a gentle simmer.

Cook for a minimum of 1 hour, (up to 3 hours for a very reduced, very tasty
broth).

Strain to make clear soup.

Serve hot.

Possibly serve with croutons, or a little rice, or some egg noodles.

Bon Appetit!

4 Likes

I’ve never heard this specified - I had a quick search for it and discovered lots of references to growing celery from the usually discarded base and one such site that also mentioned “The darker the stalks become, the more nutrients they will contain. Texture changes with color; dark green stalks will be tougher.” - is this part of the reason for using the outside stalks? they contain good stuff but aren’t as nice raw? it got me curious anyway …

4 Likes

Yes, @draughtrider, as you say the outer stalks are very tough to eat raw, unlike the inner part which can very nicely go into salads, as you’d know. But when cooked for a long time they do release nutrients and flavour. I don’t include the dark green leaves because they give a little bitter taste to the broth, but some cooks don’t mind that.
I find that after such a long cooking time the veggies are much too soft to be served and are discarded. But that’s a personal choice.
Also, I’d like to add about the tomatoes:
some cooks don’t even include them,
a broth should only be of a golden-rose colour and needs very little tomatoes, either fresh or whole peeled canned ones.
I would also stress the use of parsley,
it really makes a superior broth.

3 Likes

I’d been dealing with junk foods while watching Netflix. I gained weight remarkably and now I’m into a diet spree. I also need comfort foods during my cheat days.

2 Likes

If I buy a bunch of celery I usually use the outside stalks as the inner part of the bunch are usually too bitter . I have used " home grown " celery supplied to me by a friend with a great vegetable garden . Definitely better in taste and texture than the commercially grown product and a lot less wastage as well . I find the cheaper alternative is to buy the bagged pre-cut celery stalks as sold by Coles or Woolies and some IGA’s . .

4 Likes

Yes they are nice raw. Cut into 10cm lengths and fill the groove with peanut butter. A great healthy snack to add to lunch boxes.

5 Likes

We buy celery hearts from Coles and Woollies as thay have most of the waste already removed and are generally better value than either whole celery or celery pieces.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/earlville/product/coles-fresh-trimmed-celery-prepacked

4 Likes

That sounds delicious!

Another way to use those tougher celery stalks:

Rinse well and peel off the tough strings of each stalk.
Cut into about 5-6 cm long x 1-1.5 cm wide sticks.
Coat the sticks with plain flour, dip in a lightly beaten egg, roll into bread crumbs.
Fry until golden brown.
Serve hot.

PS my apologies for going off ‘soup’ topic.

4 Likes