Coles Little Shop

A step in the right direction being plastic free and the collection could be considered somewhat educational. Less likely a fad that gets thrown away.

It would have been good if Coles had the same foresight and listened to the criticism of their first run of little shopoers plastic novelties. Maybe we csn only hope they will respond in future marketing campaigns as it is cheap and easy to do non-plastic ones as Woollies has shown…

5 Likes

Sadly, they haven’t so much jumped on the bandwagon, as they are simply reusing a marketing model proven to work … even with all the cynicism and bad press, it seems it’s worth their while for increased revenue and shareholder return … yes, it beats the hell out of me how this still happens, until I get cynical :wink:

I’m thinking that would be hindsight - to those of us who detest this kind of marketing, they should be once bitten, but … (see comment above) …

5 Likes

Urgent news folks.

The Coles Stikees promotion ends next Tuesday so you better get in to your local store and buy up bigtime otherwise you will miss out on completing your collection including your very own Golden Billy Banana.

There were only 100 of them, and as as of a week ago, only 36 persons had claimed their bonus $100 gift cards, so you don’t want to be paying what some others have on eBay for them.

Now what was that old story about some people having more money than sense?

4 Likes

:joy: Surely no one is buying these golden bananas at that price.

2 Likes

They must be.

All the listing in my previous post are for eBay Completed Listings and the prices in green means that the items have been sold.

And the sellers were too lousy to provide free postage.

Unbelievable.

2 Likes

One of them sold for over $20k?!

2 Likes

That is what eBay is showing. Another one sold for over $19k and another one sold for over $10k, plus many others sold for thousands of dollars.

Nice money if you can get it.

Now where did I leave the details to list the bridge I have for sale?

3 Likes

An unbelieveable article regarding a 7 year old buying a Coles Stikeez on eBay for $10,000.

https://honey.nine.com.au/2019/04/03/17/06/coles-stikeez

You have to wonder why he was able to buy on eBay and pay by PayPal unless the mother leaves the accounts logged on.

4 Likes

Not necessarily the account logged on but for some it may be that the password manager is and this could be the issue (which is a security hole they do advise against leaving open).

3 Likes

The Coles little shop promotion is back for 2019 - not surprising based on the popularity last time around. It’s interesting to see a financial product in the new collection - a Coles Gift Card :sweat_smile:
What are your thoughts?
8862a4a332899b6f9a77725038d16bb6

3 Likes

As John Laws used to spruik in the Mortein radio ads, “When you’re on a good thing, stick to it”.

At least up until he jumped ship to Pea Beu.

It would be very interesting to see just how much profit Coles made from the previous one as they would have undoubtedly charged the brands in the promotion a small fortune to participate,

4 Likes

I expect the brands had to pay for the manufacture, along with whatever overheads were involved, at a minimum - while Coles got the sales.

4 Likes

And undoubtedly, a whole lot more.

As per the ongoing media articles stating that Coles & Woollies charge suppliers higher contributions to display their products at eye-height in the aisles, and even more for end-of-aisle displays, I would expect that the participation contribution for this amount of promotional exposure would be eye watering.

In addition to the usual “pester power” of the kids, there is obviously a top-of-mind aim with the parents and the potential for the kids to prefer to buy products that they know when they are the buyers,

And whilst talking about “eye watering”, I made a visit to Coles in our local shopping centre today as I needed to buy a pack of Murine eye drops.

They are always hard to find as they are usually on the bottom shelf but as the packaging has now been changed from a blister pack to a small carboard box, I wasted around 10 minutes trying to find them.

I assume they have not signed up for Coles Little Shop 2.

5 Likes

An article regarding the psychology behing the Coles Little Shop & Woollies Ooshies promos.

3 Likes

Coles is certainly going all out with the marketing of their “Little Shop Horrors 2” this time. To entice even more spending no longer just the collector box but now the Cash Register, the Truck, The Fold out panel and I’m not sure there aren’t other dust collectors you can add, all of them costing money and all that free or actually paid for by the “sucked in” consumer Coles advertising. Coles no longer can just write Ads off as an expense they can get the customer to make it another for sale profit item. Who has won this battle and war.

EDIT
I was justified in my “not sure there aren’t other dust collectors you can add” as I now know there are aprons, shopping bags, a shopping basket and a shopping trolley to add to the list…Some come as a result of buying other things, they are for “free” as long as you don’t consider the purchase you had to make to get it.

Let us all not forget the gold trolley with a $100 bonus attached to it (only 100 of them so they say), the gold collectors case you can win, the chance to win a car, the offer to get the App and unlock the “groovy Little Dancer”, or the 5 million flybuy points…

The sell (and possibly the smell) is strong with this one:

They, Coles and they marketers, obviously have seen what a spend enticing and data gathering (even of children) thing this is and have sort of taken on “when you are on a good thing make it bigger next time” type of brain spasm. Any parent who installs or let’s their child install the App needs to consider the ramifications of doing so and what data they are allowing to be collected by Coles on children who have no idea what this is allowing to be given away.

6 Likes

An article regarding the struggling farming family who wanted to sell a rare soft Ooshie actually destroying it after receiving disgusting critism from online trolls.

3 Likes

My wife wanted a collector’s case for the Coles Little Shop toys we are collecting for the grandkids, and I noticed them on display at a nearby Coles a few days ago priced at $10 each “While Stocks Last”.

Whilst at our nearest Coles yesterday, I saw a display of them priced at $4 each, save $2 each, so I bought one.

Seems like the various Coles stores are doing their own thing and weighing up just how much money they can gouge customers for as opposed to being left with unsold stock at the end of the promotion.

4 Likes

Today, I was at the Coles that had the Little Shop collector’s cases the other day for $10 each.

Surprise, surprise. The stack of them still has the “$10. While Stocks Last” signage on the side of the display.

I guess they don’t care if customers happen to visit the other Coles store and see them for $4 each.

They really need to synchronise their swindling.

Good news folks.

Just when you were wondering what to do when the Coles Little Shop 2 & Woollies Ooshies promotions finish, Woollies announces a new promotion.

https://honey.nine.com.au/latest/woolworths-new-collectibles/1ee9c808-11b5-4747-bfee-3a04d94335ea

It is unclear whether the plants are edible or are plastic.

2 Likes

Usually seeds grow into plants…meaning fortunately they won’t be the plastic variety. This is one what may be worth following and getting a few free seeds for the vege patch.

2 Likes

Coles have released their latest Stikeez promotion.

For anyone who is not thrilled about it, there is a Change.org petition against the promotion.

4 Likes