Coffee : What brand/s do you prefer to buy?

We have some locally roasted in a number of varieties - seems way nicer than the beans from the supermarket, but I prefer to hand-grind my own. I feel it still has more sealed into it and released later if ground at point of brew - that’s probably in the category of ‘belief’ as I have no science to base it on ! :wink:

Too big a word for after Wednesday :wink: I never knew caffeine did that !

6 Likes

I googled it, :wink:

“Caffeine is a commonly used neurostimulant that also produces cerebral vasoconstriction by antagonizing adenosine receptors. Chronic caffeine use results in an adaptation of the vascular adenosine receptor system presumably to compensate for the vasoconstrictive effects of caffeine.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › pub…

3 Likes

Thank you for your insight ,will help when im buying

4 Likes

Always buy freshly roasted beans from local roaster (Jindebah Hills in Mitchell ACT). After many trials we have settled on Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, medium/strong highly aromatic. There are many other very nice coffees but I like this one best. My espresso machine grinds to my selection and produces a very nice cup. I am always slightly surprised but gratified to find good espresso in every rural area I have visited in Australia. Can’t say the same for USA-when I was there last (1990) the only espresso I found was at the San Fransisco airport in an Italian cafe; all other coffee was filthy (although I was raised on the stuff). When travelling, we carry with us our “French Press” thing. It’s OK but not nearly as nice as espresso. Lots and lots of other people like other kinds of coffee, including instant. What ever gives pleasure is the answer I think.

4 Likes

@ozzieBob Welcome to the forum Bob . Thanks for your input .

Mike

1 Like

grinding coffee is an art, as you need specific measurements coffee per water… my grinder is not the best. One day when I have spare cash will buy the machine that grinds and makes coffee.

For stove top I use Seasonal Blend.
For cold press Ethiopian or something similar. Baristas advise and cannot recall what I use for Aeropress.

Still the same in the USA in 2018!

What’s worse is that even in Italy they serve the ‘ Americano’ a black tepid cup of water. I was able to get a cappuccino from the kitchen of the hotel for me and my tour companions,
in my trip to Italy a few years ago, after asking a waiter what that was they were serving as coffee.
But even in the Coffee lounges I found
it not as good as in Melbourne.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I grind mine in a little Sumbeam coffee
grinder. I count to ten, let it rest, do one more ten count, to get a finer espresso grind.
No special skill needed, but the difference between a freshly grounded
coffee and one that’s been sitting in jar
is very real. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I know but as mine is in a glass jar with a glass lid you wouldn’t be able tell the difference. Having one now. Still smells amazing

2 Likes

Once upon a time I was sceptical of the value of a good grinder but after experiencing the differences, no more.

That sounds like a spice grinder rather than a coffee grinder. Is it a product like this that chops the beans rather than grinds them?

https://www.sunbeam.com.au/Coffee-and-Beverages/Coffee-Grinders/EM0405-MultiGrinder-II.aspx

These are notorious for pulverising the beans and creating mismatched bits from dust to particles. Using Sunbeam as example, they deliver good bang for buck and if you invest in even an entry coffee grinder like the Sunbeam EM0440 you might find another step up in the quality and consistency of what you make.

2 Likes

No sorry, doesn’t do spices.
It’s a very old one but still good.
Certainly does not pulverise or leave bits !
Have you not been paying attention?
I come from an Italian background, was
having cappuccino as a toddler, I know my coffee. :wink:

3 Likes

When you wrote that you adjusted the fineness by counting time it suggested a chopper not a grinder. Apologies for misconstruing.

1 Like

No worries. All good. :slightly_smiling_face:

The more you let it grind the finer it gets. I use a Moka pot ( Bialetti, with the little man picture on it. Bialetti started the moka pot design, and many more other makes followed) and I find that about 20 seconds to be the ideal ground. I stop at the ten count to shake and mix it.

2 Likes

Not coffee in my view!

I really need to get a grinder. I usually buy pre-ground Lavazza and store it in the fridge. for every day its Moccona Classic.

2 Likes

It’s Lavazza for me too, but in beans as I ground my own. I get the vacuum sealed golden pack (Oro), the beans are sourced from central and South America.
Recently I’ve come across Lavazza
Prontissimo Intenso, an instant coffee
with 10% ground coffee. A bit pricey at
$10 for 95g but the flavour is really intense. I serve that to my guests who do not like the very strong black which comes out of a Bialetti pot but still look for a rich flavour in a cup of coffee.

1 Like

Likewise, but pre-ground. I am happy with its quality. I dont make the grade as a coffee snob, because I prefer drip filter to espresso :slight_smile: Topped up with pure cream :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, you make me drool just thinking of
that! :yum:

3 Likes

An article which claims that drinking up to 5 cups of coffee a day has no bad effects and may actually be beneficial.

A cafe in Sydney is charging $20 for a cup of coffee.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/latest/sydney-cafe-sells-20-dollar-coffee-single-origin/1b248f1e-5719-42f8-990e-c2a60e2b6d4a

Almost as ridiculous as Civet Coffee.

1 Like