Coffee : What brand/s do you prefer to buy?

An interesting article regarding coffee drinkers.

2 Likes

Whilst reading the supermarket ā€œsneak peekā€ catalogues this afternoon, I was amazed to see that our local Supa IGA actually has Bushells Coffee & Chicory Essence on special this week as I was under the impression it was a substitute for coffee due to WW II rationing and I had expected that it had disappeared decades ago.

I guess that everything old is new again.

2 Likes

It ha been available at Woolworths for decadesā€¦

2 Likes

We used to buy various fairtrade green beans from CoffeeSnobs (I highly recommend CoffeeSnobs) and roast them ourselves with a heat gun, but recently Iā€™ve been buying fairtrade roasted beans from Coles, and grind them fresh every morning. My old Delonghi coffee grinder is still going strong, touch wood.

2 Likes

This post made me nostalgic for wonderful, aromatic, CoffeeSnobs coffee. I think Iā€™ll have to go back to ordering coffee from them, though the postage to Darwin is a killer!

1 Like

Instant: Moccona Classic

ā€œRealā€: Lavazza Qualite Dā€™Oro

1 Like

Iā€™m the same as you vax2000 i donā€™t Coffee or even Tea

2 Likes

An article advising that a survey found that 50% of coffee drinkers prefer instant coffee.

2 Likes

My coffee of choice is Lavazza Oro coffee beans, freshly ground every morning,
and made in a small Moka Pot.
I heat some milk in a milk-saucepan and add enough coffee to make it the colour of Cappuccino.
Donā€™t have any more coffees during the day unless Iā€™m out with friends.

Preferring Instant coffee to Barista made,
could be more a comment about the barista than about the coffee, although I
found that in Au they make better coffee
than even in Italy when I last visited.

2 Likes

An article regarding Australian coffee now being the best in the world.

4 Likes

Why not get freshly roasted coffee beans from artisan coffee shop? I do, but they grind it for me. Be it for Moka pot, aero press or cold press.

1 Like

They asked the wrong people haha

Just wondering how long does it last with you and where and how do you store it to keep it fresh? :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Anyone else still remember when Coles and Woollies used to have those customer operated coffee grinders mounted on the shelves in the aisle where the coffee beans were stocked with the resulting grinds spilling everywhere?

Were they removed for health safety reasons, slip hazard reasons, or because some persons brought their own empty ā€œhome brandā€ empty bags to put under the grinder outlet?

3 Likes

I remember them, the smell of fresh ground coffee ā€¦ heaven

2 Likes

Lasts about 8-10 days. The coffee shop have their own off site warehouse where they roast coffee. I know barista/owner.
The smell of fresh coffee is unmistakable.
Glass Jar, tight seal, in a cabinet.

1 Like

Yes, I do. I used to do that, being too busy in the morning to do my own.
I was surprised one day when the check out assistant gave my packet of coffee to another assistant to be weighed. Apparently people were filling up one packet with double the grounded coffee beans! Soon after the coffee grinding machines just disappeared. I had forgotten till now.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I never used them, but once again, the thieves cruelled it for everyone else.

3 Likes

So sorry to hear that, @vax2000
Not even a very long black?

My mum used to say that the aroma of strong coffee made her chest feel tight.

Have you tried a roasted barley like Caro? Itā€™s got the taste of coffee without the vasoconstrictive effect of caffeine :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Gaby I just drink tea . Usually Dilmah Decaf . Love the smell of coffee beans roasting though .

2 Likes