CHOICE free-range egg app wins iAward

CHOICE’s CluckAR app has been recognised at the NSW State iAwards, winning the Consumer category and earning CHOICE a spot in the national competition later this year. CHOICE’s New Things Lab launched the free app in April to help shoppers identify genuine free-range eggs in the supermarket. The app gives power back to consumers, helping them navigate the often misleading free-range egg market. By scanning a carton of eggs, shoppers can quickly see if the product lives up to its “free range” claim.

Read Natasha Patch’s article, or find out more and download CluckAR.

32 Likes

Ooh! I can’t wait to give this a try! AR AND animal rights! It’s like my two favourite things combined!

6 Likes

I just tried this app on the eggs I have at home. Awesome app!

… But the “free range” eggs I bought are practically cage eggs! :frowning: I will definitely be taking this with me next time I go shopping so I can choose a company which has better treatment of their hens!

5 Likes

Congrats to the team. Well deserved.

Great app!

7 Likes

An excellent initiative! Well done.

5 Likes

Great app. I use it all the time it works beautifully and is a nice way to start a conversation in the supermarket.

10 Likes

I find it most useful and by now I know which brand to choose, but … when my husband came home with “bad, nasty, inappropriate” eggs the other week I was able to scan them and show him the overcrowding rates as well as the funny comments of CluckAR. Love it and use it when confronted by a different brand of egg that I am unfamiliar with. Great effort & congratulations CHOICE.

5 Likes

We have free range eggs straight from our own chooks

2 Likes

The app does not seem to recognise any of the brands in my local supermarket. I live in country WA and all the brands are local - have they not been added to your database?

1 Like

Just posted this on the Got An Idea forum:
HI Christina and everyone, we’ve just returned home to NSW after four months caravan travelling through Vic, SA, WA and NT and found the CluckAR a great resource! I even giggled out loud when I was in an outback town in WA at the lone little supermarket and Cluck gave us the OK :slight_smile:
Much appreciated
Jo

3 Likes

We don’t have every brand in the country yet. But we are constantly updating the database. If you use the Send us a Photo feature in the app to email us a nice clear well-lit photo of the boxtop we’ll ring the farmer for their stocking density and add it as soon as we can. We’ve found in general the smaller producers do a great job and are very forthcoming.

1 Like

Congrats! I LOVE love this app! I loiter around egg fridges in supermarkets and tell other shoppers what I’m doing. Before this app I was frustrated and confused about my egg purchase, not anymore!
Can we have similar app for milk? Please?

3 Likes

@joady CluckAR for milk is something I’m looking into and would like your thoughts on – but it’s complicated.

1 Like

Used the app for the first time yesterday and was relieved to find the eggs I normally buy rated an 11. Thank you for a fantastic app - perhaps we can get one to use on salespeople!

1 Like

YES PLEASE - I would use a similar app for milk very enthusiastically.

3 Likes

This app is SO good. I use it all the time. We need more of same. Choice is power

2 Likes

Yes, I’ll second that. People are intrigued with me using the CluckAR app too. Am trying to sell Choice membership to them, in front of the egg fridges!

3 Likes

I was unable to read Natasha Patch’s article because Safari failed to open the page and Google Chrome no longer supports the software I have.

Is there something for those of us who only want to buy genuine free range eggs but don’t have a smart phone?

A fantastic initiative! Well done!

1 Like