CHOICE free-range egg app wins iAward

Yes; print out from ‘Choice on line’. Useful but not as convenient.

1 Like

I JUST installed the App. Will use tomorrow when I do the the shopping. It will make my choices easier! Thanks Choice!

Now I just buy eggs with my app! It’s amazing how many brands are out there saying they are free range when they are almost cage, and they pretend the consumer pays double or more for that!!! I just love to use the app and feel I’m paying for honesty (apart from quality)

Here’s our Free Range Eggs Buying Guide – the same information that’s in the app, but in tabular format for those who can’t or prefer not to use CluckAR.

I’ve been using this app for quite a while now and sending info through if any I scan are not known. I also oblige fellow shoppers who may be checking out the ‘free range eggs’ in my proximity - they’ve also appreciated this app.

Great App. Glad to see that the eggs I was buying came from a relaxing king size bed. I use it when my regular brand of eggs isn’t available at the shops, and always when shopping with someone that hasn’t heard of the app. Keep up the great work.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion viveka and rogerseccombe but neither ‘Free Range Eggs Buying Guide’ or ‘Choice on line’ will open in my version of Safari (6.2.8). I can’t upgrade Safari now without downloading the latest Apple software which requires too much memory for my computer, and I can’t afford a new one. Google Chrome no longer supports my version of software either.

Yay! Just downloaded this app and cannot wait to use it. Thank you!

Take a photo and add them to the database. It’s basically a step in the process. Help the helpers!!

I want to know why we can purchase 12 eggs with a total weight of 800 grams, but when buying 6 eggs (1/2) you can only get ones with a total weight of only 330 grams?

I use the app all the time. It works so well. Congrats to the Team! Well done!

The app is good. However one suggestion…

Free range score is not accurate? For example For Real eggs
with stock density of 10/hecter gets the free range score of 10 but Old farm
eggs with stock density of 600/hecter gets a free range score of 64 which is
not correct.

Congratz . Well done

Awesome app, I use it every time I go grocery shopping, very disappointing though to realise just how many “free range” eggs are actually still not suitably free range.

1 Like

In your list, Nixon’s Free Range Eggs have a stocking density of 2500. I have just bought some because on the carton it claims a density of 1500. Can you say whether this is a lie? Or have Nixon’s reformed their stocking density?

Will the App be available for Windows phones?

Yay to CluckR … I love this app and thank my lucky stars for choice letting me know about it. I have shown it and used it to help non smart phone consumers in large grocery store shops, chose genuine free range eggs - bloody fantastic and much used and appreciated. You don’t just deserve an award but at big heavy blinkin medal too😊

3 Likes

I downloaded the App as soon as it became available but have found it doesnt work as well as I’d like. I mostly shop at the larger supermarkets and I constantly get the “can’t read” comment and the request to send an image which I do. I just hope it’s a glitch because the suppliers are very misleading about the conditions of their hens and I really value the work Choice does in helping us choose wisely.

3 Likes

We’re very close to releasing CluckAR 2. Many of the issues were caused by having to go out over the internet, and then suffering timeout issues due to the typically poor 3G connections you get in supermarkets. The new version will do a lot more locally when possible, so the recognition should be significantly better. We’re also taking on the dodgy producers that tweak their labels or names to avoid our image recognition. I won’t spoil it for you, but we have some fun with it.

4 Likes

My local Super IGA has a brand that is not in Cluckar.
When I used the “send us a photo” function to send it in, I thought that the next time I bought eggs it would be recognised by the app. No it wasn’t. So I used the app to ‘send photo in’ again.
And let a couple of months go by before seeing if the app recognised this brand&type of eggs - not it didn’t. I used the app to ‘send photo in’ a third time.
And have given up.

1 Like

G’day @vombatis. Thank you for sending in the photo.

The difficulty lies in gathering the rest of the info that enables us to list a brand. After we get the photo we then have to track down the contact info for the company and get in touch with them to request their stocking density. Sometimes this is easy, but sometimes it’s hard to find them or they don’t respond with the info we need. We’ve managed to add over 600 brands this way so far.

Could you let me know (here in the forum or by direct message) which brand you’re trying to add? Then I can follow up.

Thanks in advance,

V.

2 Likes