Cannot log in to CHOICE.com.au - endless Captcha loop

This is somewhat like https://choice.community/t/problem-w-validation-on-choice-com-au/26902, but that topic was about a specific issue with logins last year, and was closed when that was resolved.

So I have opened a new one for this particular new login problem.

The problem: when I try to log in to the CHOICE site today, I get past username and password but then get stuck in an endless Captcha loop. I tried twice, and each time gave up after I’d been given a new Captcha a dozen times.

I am fairly certain that I correctly identified the squares containing parts of the requested items.

Is anyone else having this problem?

3 Likes

Not today. I don’t recall ever seeing Captcha on the Choice login. It must be my trustworthy face.

4 Likes

Well, it’s certainly there for me today.

But I tried again just now - this time entering username and password manually, rather than using password manager autofill - and it let me in after only two Captcha screens.

Maybe it distrusted the autofill? But it has always accepted it in the past.

5 Likes

Was there anything different when you first tried to log in? I’d not be too concerned.

The Captcha footnote appears on the standard login web page. I’ve occasionally needed to complete one. Sometimes it takes 2 attempts. A guess is there is a trigger that asks for it based on something different about how you are logging in.
IE different device, different internet connection - IP, different geolocation, or a counter/random trigger.
At least that is what my experience of being across 3 different states and OS recently suggests. Especially when connecting from NZ and roaming with an Aussie Telco I don’t usually use.

P.S.
Perhaps the system was undergoing maintenance. Some web services may have the front end available, but are unable to connect through to the service - message to users optional?

Note: choice.com.au member login screen

o

4 Likes

There is an ecommerce site I buy from that always presents an endless captcha loop. They do not know why and nothing I have been able to do has fixed it so I always have to purchase as a guest.

The original thoughts that did not help were disabling adblockers for the site, clearing cache, and so on.

Got to love technology when it gets in the way. Such experiences reinforce how good an online connected life can be :expressionless:

6 Likes

Only the fact that I used password manager autofill, and the Captcha never finished. I went through literally a dozen Captcha pages - on two login attempts - before giving up.

The username and password were accepted each time.

On the third attempt - after creating this topic, ie not long after the failed attempts - I manually entered username and password. Captcha came up (I think it usually does, for me), and after two pages it let me in.

You could be right that the system was under maintenance or something.

4 Likes

Indeed! :roll_eyes:

I hate Captcha in all its forms. Not sure which is worse, mangled characters or blurry images.

And it seems AI can now outdo humans in solving Captchas, anyway …

I wonder if password managers will soon have AI features that can solve Captchas for the user?

7 Likes

Apologies for any frustration we may have caused @isopeda. I’ll flag the issue with our digital team for investigation.

7 Likes