Bizarre and disgusting foods from when you were a child

You have got that right.

4 Likes

I can tell you from experience that those little spines are much, much worse when they get into your tongue! The fruit tastes a bit like raspberry.

Disgusting foods- 1/ anchovies, I bit into one from a plate of hors douvers as we called them, at a wedding reception in the early 1970s, but had to make a quick exit to spit it out.
2/ we went to KFC once, around the same era.

5 Likes

Agree. Not fond of brussels sprouts (although I love them now!) or spinach, or silver beet, or ANYTHING with offal in it, such as steak and kidney pie. Just about edible if you could disguise the kidney with LOTS of tomato sauce. Amazingly, my mother knew how to cook tripe so it was edible; smothered in lots of white sauce with bacon bits in it. If only she were still here to pass on the secret! Then there were lambs brains; very difficult to eat without puking. I had to imagine my favourite comic characters to distract myself from the revolting texture and taste.

5 Likes

After saying “I don’t have any childhood food I didn’t like…” I now remember Tongue (boiled, pickled etc) A tongue out of beef cattle, rough skin, tough meat … fortunately we didn’t have it much as we were sheep & potatoes.

5 Likes

I still love a well made pressed tongue, chilled and sliced thinly and made into a sandwich or used as the meat with salad. Pickles and sauces such as HP, Tomato, Mustard pickles, Branston pickles etc go great with it. Similar for Pork Brawn.

5 Likes

My grandmother used to make a delicious brawn dish and I have never found a commercially prepared one which could even remotely compare to it.

Here is a link to a recipe for it from my favourite bogan chef.

https://www.cooked.com.au/Adrian-Richardson/Hardie-Grant-Books/Meat/Charcuterie/Classic-jellied-brawn-recipe

4 Likes

For all those hanging out to try crumbed lamb’s brain, here is a link to a recipe from my favourite bogan chef.

https://www.cooked.com.au/Adrian-Richardson/Hardie-Grant-Books/Meat/Offal/Crumbed-lambs-brains-with-aoli-dipping-sauce-recipe

Enjoy.

2 Likes

Tripe and lamb’s brains which only my father enjoyed/ate though my mother had to cook them occasionally. I also disliked overcooked rice - this is the 1960s when no-one knew how to cook properly.
Things I did like were kidneys and liver plus black pudding. We used to have black pudding on camping and bushwalking trips and I loved it. Had no idea what it was made of until years later!

7 Likes

“International Dishes” Irish style that my grandma used to cook when I was little.

Curry made from diced beef boiled to within an inch of its life with Keen’s Curry Powder and boiled rice, served with a slice of buttered bread and a glass of milk to extinguish the fire.

Pasta consisting of boiled dried spaghetti with Heinz Tomato Sauce poured over it and Kraft Cheddar Cheese grated over it.

I tasted my first real pasta as a teenager when our Italian neighbour very kindly gave us some of her homemade ravioli.

Some years later, I ate my first real curry from an Indian restaurant.

I could not believe the difference between my grandma’s versions and the real deal.

7 Likes

True, but in the spirit of the day those early Aussie pasta and curry dishes were the bleeding edge of home culinary excellence. More so when very well cooked due to a mistaken belief food needed to be mush and each mouthful chewed 24 times to ensure the nourishment could be digested.

I guess many of us could add a long list of poorly flavoured, over cooked mushy every day dishes to this topic as bizarre and disgusting. In particular if you were born in another country, and sitting down to an Aussie style home cooked meal.

P.S.
I thought I knew what pasta, curry, Chinese culinary and sushi were all about from the local take always or cafes. How wrong we were, having travelled and eaten with the locals at the source.

6 Likes

Any leftover boiled rice would be served for dessert with milk and sugar, and it was worse than the curry or the pasta.

On other occassions, my graddma amd my mother would cook a baked rice pudding which was absolutely delicious.

5 Likes

… anything made from Nutmeat, Nutolene or Vegelinks …

6 Likes

My dad (an experimental cook) used to make macaroni and cheese, but instead of cheese, he made a peanut butter sauce. Yuk.
(On the other hand, I love Brussels sprouts! Never had them as a child, for some reason.)

9 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Bizarre and disgusting foods from when you were a child:

Food likes and dislikes are 90% handed down from parents. I have always taken the view of eat it, and then if you like it, find out what it was. Most of the foods being classified as yuk are so because of their preparation, if you know how to cook it, almost anything can be an enjoyable meal. I grew up in wartime and post war Britain and one learned to eat anything because frequently you did not know where the next meal was coming from. Today we are spoiled by over availability of convenience food most of which leaves a lot to be desired in the way of nutrition quality.

9 Likes

I recall Mother wanting me to eat tripe when I was a kid. I hated it. Turned out so did she, but she thought it was one of those things a person should try at least once. Dad ate the leftovers. He loved offal. Mum and I thought offal was AWFUL.

5 Likes

An article regarding a WA company planning to export 10 tonnes of chicken feet per week to Asia.

When we were on a group cruise from Hong Kong to Halong Bay and Hainan Island and return in 2001, a number of dishes were brought to the table including a large platter of chicken feet that no one even attempted to try.

We all found out the next day that there were many more dishes available to order if only someone had told us.

2 Likes

Something i could never stomach has always been mince.I can’t stand the stuff and the smell is horrible

2 Likes

There is mince and there is mince. If one can get fresh mince using prime cuts, it is very good and should smell no differently to raw meat. If one buys mass produced mince using any cut, then the quality while more standardised, is less desirable in terms of taste and texture. Mince is seen today as a cheap meat, rather than a specific meat product for particular recipes.

2 Likes

My granny was a wartime mom, and told me they learned to cook many things and like them, or starve! Like horsemeat, nearly unknown in Aust now.

When I visited as a child I recall brains, tripe, junket, sago, tapioca and rabbit (even then). I hated them all.

However there were upsides. She made absolutely terrific devilled kidneys on toast, and lambs fry (liver) with bacon. OMG my mouth has started salivating here!

Other favourites were scotch eggs, hole-in-the-wall, and rolled roasts with mint sauce. She made her own ice-cream and bread, too.

Ahh it wasn’t all bad.

4 Likes

An article regarding offal.

I could not believe that Coles has the temerity to charge $18/kg for beef cheeks now when a few years ago they never stocked them, and the independent butchers presumably gave them away as pet food or put them in the mince.

2 Likes