Bizarre and disgusting foods from when you were a child

My vote could also just as easily go to the tinned baby food.

Not only is it disgusting,
It is so unnecessary, (mostly - guilty parents?)
And could rate as child abuse.

P.S.

We made our own kids meals from fresh cooked food, just like in the old days, but with the benefit of a modern blender for a purée. There are plenty of sources of recipes, while most of the ingredients came from our daily meals.

A risk perhaps is they get to like mum and dad’s cooking so much they never leave home.:rofl:

6 Likes

Travelling vast distances was the reason for the desperation, we also blended better meals at home. But there really are people who buy this stuff and give it to their children in their own homes…almost disbelief that they could have tried it before serving it.

6 Likes

I was brought up in the days of meat and three veg, and as a result I never really graduated to a lot of today’s foods. However, being British by birth I absolutely love steak and kidney pie! Whenever I have returned to the UK on holiday, I always seek out a pub with steak and kidney. If I was about to be executed I’d ask for it as my last meal!! Sprouts I now buy and eat by choice, but Nirvana is a steak and kidney pie with chips! Unsophisticated? Probably, but I know what I love!

9 Likes

No, not unsophisticated at all !!!

7 Likes

My husband hates chokos or commonly known as “shrek turds” and dis-custard apples.

8 Likes

He has got that right.

Disgusting things that my grandparents grew on the fence 60 years ago that they should have only fed to their chooks.

3 Likes

The bizarre and disgusting breakfast food I had to eat everyday for 7 years, gagging at every spoonful, was porridge. Rolled oats porridge, I think I became allergic to them.
I can’t imagine making a child suffer like that, I could easily have had a boiled egg or two, we had chooks.
I would have eaten the winter chook food of boiled millet and wheat grains happily.

5 Likes

My mum , who was a Hungarian - but spent some years in England - would do “lambs fry” , slices of kidney cooked in a frypan and crumbed brains for me. Snake and pygmy was what my dad ate BUT not me. My treat was when we went to a friends farm at the weekend, He’d kill a sheep and cook the chops on the open fire in the kitchen. Fresh chops over coals - slightly charred - delicious.

7 Likes

Yes yes and yes. I remember the tailing of lambs and the long extension cord to the frypan that cooked the tails then and there … ok, maybe not PC, but you can’t get fresher !!!

6 Likes

Anything offal. Offal is awful. Other than that, I didnt like spinach, or oysters. And mustard. I still don’t like mustard though I can tolerate it in some things like salad dressing… thats tolerate, not like.

4 Likes

Oooh really? I love porridge, even now. Porridge cooked in water, and topped with milk or cream, butter and sugar. Never much liked brown sugar on porridge. Of course, being diabetic means its now off the menu… but I still love it.

4 Likes

Kidney. Tastes like it’s function for me.
Liver, never could eat lamb’s fry or pig liver (though don’t mind chicken livers and love pate)
Any gristly bits of meat: as a child I would not eat steak, which was thin and cooked until tough and dry in the electric fry pan! As an adult I love a good thick tasty juicy (small) medium-rare steak.
With the gristly meat, I would closely examine every piece of meat in a stew for ‘veins’ or bits that didn’t look like meat, and leave those pieces on the side of the plate.
Thankfully I grew up and got over this, and now love cheap cuts of meat in slow cooks, love snails, brain, sweetbreads and have enjoyed eating bat! However I still detest kidney, liver, and tripe, just too intestinal-tasting for me.

9 Likes

Peanut butter sandwiches with banana or tomatoes tastes great. Brussel sprouts and cabbage also my favourite vegetables.

6 Likes

Good old lambs fry and bacon. Could never cotton on to the overcooked, dry and almost unpalatable liver. Brings back memories as the folks used to cook the ‘treat’ some Sundays for dinner. Something I have never missed.

7 Likes

Well, really Peanut paste, same as minced garlic is not garlic butter?

Anyway, peanut xyz with sultanas, or dried mixed fruit on wholemeal bread sandwiches. Who needs mashed bananas and brown sugar to make a great sandwich.

3 Likes

Brussels sprouts. Made to eat them then vomited. 70 years later, still remember!

5 Likes

They can be quite bitter if old or not grown in the right conditions. Not sure the homemade white cheese sauce ours (boiled whole till mushy) used to come with made too much difference.

“Needs more garlic!” Might be a good comeback.

We do ours halved in a little garlic and butter, sometimes bacon or hot salami finely chopped. Slightly crisp as for a warm salad.

4 Likes

Have tried them, without vomiting but the memory continues to haunt me.

3 Likes

Back when chickens had entrails my grandfather would make himself a treat for Sunday breakfast, the entrails (liver, lights, kidneys etc) fried with bacon. He would cremate this mess, the smell filled the house. Luckily chicken roast was a luxury only eaten a few times a year.

5 Likes

Tripe in white sauce with parsley. Ugh!

6 Likes