Augmented product labelling

Continuing the discussion from Compulsory labeling for GMO food and Labelling Ingredients on Food Products:

In the CHOICE New Things unit we’re working on ways to supplement mandatory product labelling with augmented information you can access on your mobile device.

CluckAR was our first foray into that area – an augmented reality free range egg detector. We made it because we had strong evidence that Australian consumers were being ripped off, paying high prices for eggs labelled “free range” that didn’t meet the CSIRO model code or consumer expectations of the meaning of that term. It was a terrible situation for the good free range egg producers as well - seeing a credence claim that they’d spent a lot of effort and money to create and get into the public consciousness being co-opted by freeloaders. CluckAR has now been used by consumers over half a million times, and we’re hearing reports of companies that previously had a lot of “free range” eggs on the shelf take them off, and come back out with more honest “barn laid” labelling.

Whether those reading this are free range egg buyers or not, I reckon we can all agree that those who were buying “free range” eggs, and weren’t getting what they understood that to mean, were being ripped off. That’s why we took that issue on first. But there are plenty of other areas where labelling is misleading, lax or confusing.

Where do you think we should go next? Extra clarity on GMO labelling (e.g. Roundup Ready vs. drought resistant vs. vitamin fortified)? Sugar? Oils? Country of origin? Let us know.

2 Likes

I want labelling for palm oil and its derivatives. We’re losing our species http://www.palmoilinvestigations.org/about-the-crisis.html
People are trying to do the right thing but they are being tricked by over 200 names that palm oil can be hidden under.
I know there are heaps of labels that need to be clarified but this is my passion.
Mel

10 Likes

Country of origin please. I will not buy any food that is grown or processed in China but with current labelling laws it is not possible always to determine this!

10 Likes

China and any food imported from there is my bugbear. Latest is NZ have FTA and now import Chinese veggies so not only do I not buy Heinz as shifted to NZ but they also do use as confirmed by phone Chinese veggies in their off seasons.
China reported that 80% of there arable food production lands are contaminated.

So I want to know what, if any, food imports from China are in any product on the shelves. Just not good enough to have local and imported. Any Chinese addition should be stated and now we seem to have a FTA too more important than ever. I am also concerned to be sure I buy mostly Australian grown and packed produced food so even if the company is foreign owned most of the income tax and spending power of the workers stays here in our country and keeps the place going along paying our way. But the government has to be one the ball and make sure these companies pay 100% of the due tax on their products too and not shift it by invoicing each other within the group so that it appears they are not making as much profit as actually there. Goes on.And should be stopped.

4 Likes

Extra Clarity on GMO labelling, especially for unpackaged food like vegetables and fruit

2 Likes

I think country of origin is very important in regards to food now . I’m getting to the stage I dont trust " Made from Local and Imported Ingredients " anymore .

4 Likes

I agree, when people realise that products contain palm oil they will hopefully boycott that product,forcing manufacturers to use a more sustainable product. That is the only chance threatened species have

1 Like

I am disappointed the country of origin has such a delayed start (2018), but happy that something is finally being done.
I hope it is comprehensive, covering all countries involved so we know if the goods originated from a third country, rather than covering the Chinese imports through NZ.
If we all buy Australian Made and Grown we all win.

1 Like

Look up The Checkout’s segment on palm oil. There are literally THOUSANDS of names for palm oil and its derivatives. It’s almost impossible to completely avoid it at the supermarket unless you only bought fruit and veg. I do think the source of the palm oil needs to be noted on packaging though. Big difference between sustainable and non-sustainable palm oil.

I agree completely. Vegetable oil is not a good enough in the contents.

1 Like

Sadly a lot of people don’t realise the impact of palm oil. I was oblivious to it for most of my life. People need better education about it.

So glad to see not alone in boycotting NZ where veggies used like no longer buy Heinz as the do use Chinese veggies rang them when first went over there and said do use Chinese because of the FTA with China. Heinz did us out of their workers income taxes as well as company tax, so why buy… No, I buy Campbell’s soups and found their products actually better it and SPC beans etc good too use all Aussie produce, processed here so keeps the money in the system for all of us and those taxes, income and company pay for running the country, and our services like education,health and so on. Tred to tell young woman particularly with toddler and one on way not to buy Chinese but she shrugged and said cheaper. Didnt seem to take on board, we are we what we eat. Eat well and stay well. Eat contaminated food and health suffers. And the Chinese dont hide fact that 80% of their farms are contaminate with cancer causing chemicals which is why buying up our farms. Which we should not allow. Should remain owned worked by Aussies, then export the food to them and keep it under our control. Win win. selling off the farm lose lose. Food Security is more important than most realize. Ask my mum re food in WW2 Britain where Germany was trying to starve them out sinking the convoys carrying food from America etc. And they say a coming food war due to overpopulation on way scary eh!

1 Like

@houzer, the exact extent of contaminated land in China is less than 20% and not 80%. The contaminats are principally metals such as cadmium, nickel and arsenic. Whilst these metals may be present, they may not be in forms which are taken up by plants allowing them to enter the food chain. One needs to know the dorm present in the soil, the soils pH, etc to determine risks. It is also worth noting that these metals naturally exist in soils in low concentrations and are also can be present in organic and inorganic fertilisers.

I would like to see sugar as it is potentially far more problematic to human health than many orher food materials. Research from the first generation of sugar babies (long term sugar consumption from birth of children in the 1970/80s) is quite disturbing and could be our next health problem to solve.

1 Like

@houzer, I agree with you totally and believe that there is insufficient testing for contaminants from many South East Asian countries including China. Additionally, I am reminded here of a problem that occurred several years ago in China regarding contaminated babies’ formula and regular milk, an unscrupulous manufacturer added melamine to the milk to increase the milk protein volume and presumably make it cheaper. http://www.who.int/csr/media/faq/QAmelamine/en/

Yes Kathryng76 we cant be too careful these days greed has overtaken all desire to make sure our fellow humans are not damaged by our actions.

1 Like

@houzer, Not just greed but also lack of care whether at their end or ours. How did contaminated frozen raspberries or strawberries get into Australia? I can only assume that Biosecurity Australia has been wound back so far that this could happen.

A good deal more funding needs to go into systems which protect our produce and food production in Australia as well as merely labelling where the imported ingredients have come from. There needs to be advice about exactly which items have been imported and from where. For thousands of years Chinese farmers have used human excrement as a form of fertiliser and the locals have built up a resistance to any nasty bugs lurking there, but then exporting those items to countries which don’t have this resistance could potentially lead to much more cases of salmonella outbreaks or similar bugs to be found here.

1 Like

@kathrung76 Exactly and here too we have third world meds in generics and be careful of antibiotic in particular. they are weak as are painkillers. Some if not all the problems not just from people not taking the full course of antibiotic but due to use of generics which as not exactly the same as original tested over years on humans beofre marketing at all, only the active ingredient, and even that isnt mandated to be 1st grade and the fillers can be anything. Most of these generics are weaker than the original. And if you need a painkiller from the doc, the generics of Panadeine Forte (30mg)I took back as convinced forgot to put in the Codeine, took 2 didnt work waited the 4 hours and took OTC Codeine 8mg and worked enough to get some sleep. Took them back as had said no generics but they get paid more seemingly for these so push them. Or did reported in 2006 by then Health Minster Abbott. There is a re-badge which saves paying the levy, called Prodeine Forte for anyone in need of these, usually elderly people too often cant afford the $22 extra levy for their 240 a month for arthritis painkillers. So pass this on. Now I ask drug companies if they re-badge when get new meds and many do to beat the generic Co’s. Kenacomb ointment is Otocomb for ears which most need at some time.

1 Like

@houzer I had never considered country of origin labelling for medicine but yes, you’re right. I’ve noticed some discrepancies with fillers (from trying to avoid additives due to allergies) but even that will come down to cost eventually. I have long wondered whether it was better to use name brands only, especially the way the chemists push the generic medicines. My concerns were whether the original (and more expensive) product would still be available as a PBS-subsidised item. The Buy Australian campaign has never included medicines to my knowledge or herbal remedies and vitamins. And that’s another topic of issue there.

1 Like