ACCC alleges Voltaren misled shoppers with premium priced gel

Following in the footsteps of Reckitt Benckiser, it looks like Voltaren have been selling identical products at different prices while making misleading claims about targeted pain relief.

5 Likes

I wonder how many other products are similar to this. One just has to walk down the supermarket or chemist aisles to see brands with multiple products, albeit slightly different labelling specifying different purposes, in the same product category. This includes cosmetics, cleaning products, clothes washing products, toiletries etc.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s a task Defenders could do. Walk some isles and photo the products that have a brand and look similar to one another. Could be a great highlighting of the issue.

2 Likes

Finally an outcome.

Whether fines totalling $4.5M accurately reflect the financial benefit of the deception? It seems a trivial amount considering the duration the differential pricing was in place and premium asked for the product.

2 Likes

The fine is no real punishment as befits the crime, no surprises here as this is the norm when it comes to fines meted out in Australia to businesses. There has been a litany of failure when it comes to quantum.

2 Likes

Either way it costs a bomb. I had to get some recently for a dodgy knee (arthritis) and I was tossing up about what to get, ended up with emulgel. As an aside, it is no more effective than the tube of Pedimol I already had. The Pedimol might even be a bit better.

2 Likes