CHOICE membership

About the Food & Drink category

Do you have something to say about Coles, Woolworths, or Aldi? Free range or dairy? Make your voice heard in this section of CHOICE Community.

The CHOICE food and drink experts hit the labs to tell you exactly what’s in your food, along with extensive research and data-based articles that you will find on the CHOICE website. We want to hear more about about your good and bad food-related experiences, from food labelling issues to the best value at the checkout.

Yes Aldi is not all what they say some foods are just the same as Coles,Woolworths and the rest of retail outlets the only one I have found is spud shed.

Take care looking at price labels.
I picked up some Physical Milk at our local Woolworths Supermarket which was priced as special on the shelf label at $3.91, 20% off its normal price. After going through the check out, the charge was at the full price of $4.89. On querying one of the store managers checked the shelf label, removed it. In very fine print at the bottom the special was only till 24th January. This day was the 30th January, six days later. I was given a refund, but how many would be caught?

I use Aldi, IGA and Woolworths regularly, and occasionally Coles. I live in a small country town which has a Farmer’s market monthly and IGA.
For freshness and variety in the Dairy cabinet, I have found Aldi’s quality is similar to my local IGA, both are superior to Coles, and a bit below Woolworths. e.g. I prefer Aldi’s Colby Cheese over the other home brands. Milk-wise, we like to buy Kiewa Milk because it’s local and helps our farmers.
For freshness in the Fruit and Veggies area, I prefer to buy from Aldi (in the pre-packed box as it fits well into my fridge) or loose from elsewhere providing I look properly for over-ripe fruit & veg; use by or best before dates, if it’s prepackaged (and it would help to have a date of when packed).
Price per kg - many pre-packed veg like tomatoes are priced per half kg! Need a price/kg next to it. I’ve noticed this is a trend in all the stores.
Have been dissatisfied with the age/quality of free-range eggs sold in the supermarkets. By the time we buy them, the egg white is breaking down and becoming runny. I now buy them only from the Farmer’s Market or the local Butcher.
Wodonga has Arnold’s Fresh Food Market and the food there is separated between first quality and seconds. The first quality fruit & veg are superior to all the supermarkets mentioned above. The seconds will go off as you look at them.

It’s great news to hear that food labelling laws have been changed. Especially in the area of “Made from local and imported ingredients”, but what use is it if the companies are not compelled to tell us which country they have sourced the material from? Looking at a product label now for Moroccan Pumpkin with Chickpea soup, it says: “packed in Thailand from local and imported ingredients.” The first three ingredients are Water, Pumpkin and Lentils.