Yarra Valley water combining water and sewerage charges

YVW has advised they are combining water and sewerage charges. At the same time, they have honoured an agreement to keep reduced sewerage charges till May 2025. They have analyzed my average discount and have given a substantial credit to my account. This is laudable. However, I am wondering why the change, they say their customers consider sewerage charge complex and have asked for this combination. Are there other reasons for this change

2 Likes

Being a fellow YVW customer my understanding is ‘we’ could not ‘get’ a relationship between water used and water ‘sewered’ as a fixed ratio, that is how it is charged.

My impression is they got tired of answering the same question over the years and having to defend it so rolled it up to avoid the question and same old answer.

As a practical matter if one uses 1000 litres of water from the main, how could the amount going into the sewer be calculated with current meters in and no meters out? Some have been said to have pushed back that their sewerage went almost everywhere excepting down a drain and they wanted to avoid the charge. While that might seem fair it is impossible to authoritatively meter as a practical matter in the current world. What would the cost be to retrofit and what would the maintenance of same required with the flotsam and jetsam down the drains for that which did go down the drains?

2 Likes

A s mentioned by @PhilT - sewerage was never separately metered, and it was based on a formula related to the amount of water used. So it does make sense to just have one charge, to make engagement with the bill simpler.

1 Like