Xmas Pudding Taste Test

An article regarding a Xmas pudding taste test by Choice.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/latest/aldi-christmas-pudding-ranked-best-by-choice/d8449b51-3554-4276-9fa3-2eb90c8fd26f

And the actual Choice test.

6 Likes

Plus a little video in case anyone is interested :santa:

5 Likes

The amateur pudding test results** are in. We’ve tasted and stocked up for the winter pudding season.

equal first

• Pudding Lady Traditional Christmas pudding ($47/kg, Choice’s No 2)
  • Stephen’s Traditional Rich Christmas pudding ($45/kg)

close second

• David Jones. ($43.3/kg) Great pudding, but a touch sweeter & only a few dollars less than the leaders.

excellent value (remove the sickly syrup first)

• Aldi Specially Selected Luxury Golden Champagne Pudding. ($12.2/kg, Choice’s No 1). All tasters considered the syrup made this sickly sweet. Leave it off and it was a very good pudding. Excellent value, but not preferred over others.

Avoid

• Coles Christmas pudding ($5.7/kg, Choice No’s 3). All testers wondered whether we or Choice had a different product by mistake. Too cake like & just not a likeable pudding. Nobody wanted the leftovers - possibly binned.

** Note: Completely unscientific. No taste notes or sub-scores. Just what the tasters liked, or didn’t. Four tasters, gender balanced. Two sessions. (1: Stephen’s, Aldi, Coles; 2: Stephen’s, Pudding Lady, David Jones).

Stephen’s https://www.stephensfinefoods.com.au/category/traditional-christmas-puddings

DJ’s https://www.davidjones.com/home-and-food/christmas/festive-food-and-wine/21125739/Christmas-Pudding-800G.html

Pudding Lady https://www.puddinglady.com.au/collections/christmas-collection/products/traditional-christmas-pudding-1kg

1 Like

75% off - Just noticed the DJ’s link has the pudding online price reduced from $34.95 down to $8.73.
Better than an Aldi pudding price.
Our after xmas puddings were all purchased at various discounts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We bought a Coles Finest xmas pudding marked down and it was the richest one I have ever tasted .

My wife love it and ate the rest, even without the gold sprinkles.

I don’t buy Christmas pudding as I prefer to do my own indulgences and make them rather lighter but at some $45 a kilo you are paying too much for convenience given these are mass produced and have a fair shelf life.

Considering how easy they are to make pre-packaged puddings are definitely in the luxury part of the market when you pay $21 per kilo for secular steamed pudding, $11 for jelly and $7.50 for cooked rice.

2 Likes

Possibly will have to submit our family’s home made one to the next taste test, as long as we have a spare one :smile: Just will need a few weeks notice so we know when to make it by lol

2 Likes

Hi there I tried the small Christmas cake as recommended from aldi it was very nice. I’m just wondering if you have tested the same as 2019. I want to purchase the large cake recommended.

I have taste tested aldi large Christmas cake well worth $10.99 very moist and rich full of fruits and nuts. I really like the taste of it. But I have a gripe about another product selling at big w.

I personally think this is a bad way especially if kids see it. It may re-enforce them into drinking. Maybe big w need to grow a brain with this.

Big W or Mars?

Mars produced it and Big W won’t be the only retailer.

2 Likes

I saw it online at big w. I think it says mars brand.

As noted by @Fred123 it is indeed a Mars product, they perhaps should be the ones copping the brunt of any disgruntlement with the way the product is packaged. I don’t think Big W would be the only retailer displaying the product.

This should not be taken to mean I don’t agree with the poor taste of packaging if it is also targeting children, I just think retailers are the bottom of the pack when it comes to who should receive the complaints. Of course making displeasure known to a retailer is also good practice, if they get enough then the item may not be stocked.

As this topic is about Xmas puddings I will halt my commentary on the Chocolates. Another topic may be a better choice if any further discussion is wanted on the matter, perhaps a topic on something like Inappropriate packaging might be a good topic header.

3 Likes

I went off track a bit. Only trying to get attention from other members here. Retailers must be desperate to sell anything

2 Likes