Worrying scammer

Just logged into my emails and noticed their was an email in the spam folder . I checked it out and to my dismay it said that "This Bank Account has been frozen " It then gave the exact figure I had in that particular account . It’s definitely not ransom ware as I could access the bank to change pass words etc . I then transfered money out of that account to another bank I netbank with . All good . Have notified the bank and advised them . It is the season for this type of thing so be careful . I scanned the computer with ADWcleaner and it found nothing . That is a good thing . As I write this I’m deep scanning with MalwareBytes . The bank will alert me if there are any transactions on the account involved . Here’s hoping all is ok . Being with the Commonwealth Bank they got back to me and I forwarded the email to hoax.cba.com.au for them to deal with it .

8 Likes

thanks for the heads up @vax2000. I wonder how they managed to get the exact amount in your CBA account.
Did you throw out a bank statement/bank receipt, and somehow they got your email address?
Key-logger perhaps? But they they would have dived into your account, so no.
Wi-fi scanner that just picked up a morsel of info?

Intriguing.

1 Like

@meltam It is very worrying . The bank is staying in touch with me and is monitoring movement on that account . I’ve scanned the computer with programs I’ve installed for that purpose , ADWcleaner etc but may do a Win 10 reinstall just to be on the safe side . Thanks for your concern .

Mike
3 Likes

I’m seriously hoping you didn’t go to the bank website through a link in that email when you changed your password?
Please people, even if it’s an email actually from your bank, open a new browser window and manually go to the website and log in. Never use links to login to your bank accounts.

3 Likes

Various bank and credit-card accounts of mine have been compromised over the last 10 years or more. In almost every case the provider has picked up the false deductions before I have. Which is very comforting. Yesterday I listened to a presentation by a NSW Fair Trading local staff member. Most of the information is available on their web site fairtrading.nsw.gov.au . Two valuable publications are the "Seniors Guide to consumer rights in NSW, and “The Little Black Book of Scams” both of which can be downloaded.
Two pieces of advice I found most useful were to have a credit-card with a small credit limit [say $1000] which you use exclusively for online purchases. Better still use PayPal for such purchases - you can use your credit-card through PayPal too. And to check on the reliability of a company [or any professional] google the name, followed by ‘review’ or ‘complaints’. Apparently you will be surprised what comes up. And, check out the web site www.scamwatch.gov.au.

4 Likes

@johnn31 and @blakamin Thank you very much for your posts and advice . I will definitely check the links you provided . I followed the banks protocols for these scams . The moment I saw the email , as mentioned before , I notified the bank , forwarded it to them , deleted it , then changed passwords with a different browser . I use PayPal for online purchases . I have a full business account with a credit card link to it . Will keep you informed of any further developments from the bank as I get them . All we know is that the email originated out of Florida , US . See you on the forums .
Mike

1 Like

RE ADWCleaner. I hope you are aware that before running ADWCleaner you MUST download the current version, as they do not send out signature updates. In fact cleaning advice sites suggest it be uninstalled (there’s a button for that) immediately after use to obviate the danger of using an out of date version.

3 Likes

Agree on PayPal. It just gets better all the time. There is now an option to pay by direct debit from your bank account as well as by card. I just don’t deal with companies who don’t offer PayPal

1 Like

@paul_b.d Am running current version Paul . I believe is version 6040 . Thanks for the heads up though . Much appreciated .

Mike

Well, talking about nuisance calls and scams…Get rang regularly about my computer. My OS Microsoft has been tampered with and so on and son… I string them along and tell them that they have to do something. So when they are well on the way to ask me to go to my computer…I play stupid and pretend that I can’t find what they ask me …I tell them that I have an Apple computer and I laugh. You should hear the foul language they use before they hang up.

How to stop these calls. I am on the registry but to no avail.

2 Likes

@pegi228 I must admit I use the Mac trick quite a lot too . I agree the language you get back over the phone can be bit on the other side of good taste , to say the least . Always brings a smile to my face though :grinning:

1 Like

Me too, I smile also and happy that I tricked them